X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bentley University Hockey 2016-2017: The (Max) French Revolution

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    i

Keys today: score at least another PPG; stay out of P Box, and keep Brady Ferguson off the scoreboard, especially on PK. Almost escaped the PK last night on 6 minors, which are too many.
    Did pretty much the opposite of all this yesterday. Extremely inefficient on both the PP and PK, and they were taking STUPID penalties as well. Refs were not great, but still no excuse for the poor play. I don't think play was as lopsided as the score represents, but that said, neither team played very well. I'm pretty sure every RMU score yesterday came after Argue made 2-4 saves on the play, and a failure to clear the puck eventually lead to RMU getting an easy putback with Argue having no chance. They're doing a reasonably good job with defense in terms of not letting the opponent maintain possession for too long, a lot of good poke checks and blocking passing lanes to not give a lot of options. But they've just gotta be able to clear the crease when Argue makes a save and he can't control the rebound. Here's a video of Saturday's game that shows a couple of the goals like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhau8S6k2Y0

Another thing we have to be better about is dumping the puck. WAY too many times do I see guys dumping and chasing when they don't have a lot of pressure on them or they've got open passes that will allow them to maintain possession coming into the zone. Even on the POWER PLAY guys are mindlessly dumping it into the corner which almost never leads to a good offensive possession. With such a small team physically it's so difficult to win battles along the board after dumping it in. I think trying to stick handle the puck or coming into the zone with speed is a better option and could lead to a lot more opportunities to set up a well designed passing goal. That said, I think dumping and chasing is a huge part of hockey and especially college hockey with it being so fast paced, but choosing when and when not to dump the puck should be a more thoughtful process for this team.

At least we were able to pick up 1 victory before the break, and I think the break will provide a really good opportunity to reassess where this team is and create a better game plan going forward. Excited to see what kind of numbers the top line of French Schmidt and Gorowsky can put up in the second half, as they just seem to be reaching their stride.

Comment

• Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
      Did pretty much the opposite of all this yesterday. Extremely inefficient on both the PP and PK, and they were taking STUPID penalties as well. Refs were not great, but still no excuse for the poor play. I don't think play was as lopsided as the score represents, but that said, neither team played very well. I'm pretty sure every RMU score yesterday came after Argue made 2-4 saves on the play, and a failure to clear the puck eventually lead to RMU getting an easy putback with Argue having no chance. They're doing a reasonably good job with defense in terms of not letting the opponent maintain possession for too long, a lot of good poke checks and blocking passing lanes to not give a lot of options. But they've just gotta be able to clear the crease when Argue makes a save and he can't control the rebound. Here's a video of Saturday's game that shows a couple of the goals like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhau8S6k2Y0

Another thing we have to be better about is dumping the puck. WAY too many times do I see guys dumping and chasing when they don't have a lot of pressure on them or they've got open passes that will allow them to maintain possession coming into the zone. Even on the POWER PLAY guys are mindlessly dumping it into the corner which almost never leads to a good offensive possession. With such a small team physically it's so difficult to win battles along the board after dumping it in. I think trying to stick handle the puck or coming into the zone with speed is a better option and could lead to a lot more opportunities to set up a well designed passing goal. That said, I think dumping and chasing is a huge part of hockey and especially college hockey with it being so fast paced, but choosing when and when not to dump the puck should be a more thoughtful process for this team.

At least we were able to pick up 1 victory before the break, and I think the break will provide a really good opportunity to reassess where this team is and create a better game plan going forward. Excited to see what kind of numbers the top line of French Schmidt and Gorowsky can put up in the second half, as they just seem to be reaching their stride.
      In complete agreement on dump and chase into the corners. I would prefer quick wrist shots from the middle, which sometimes leads to rebounds (no wind up for slap shots, which gives D too much time to block shots).

I am planning to be at UVM at the end of the month; the Catamounts are playing great hockey this year, so will be good practice for setting us up for the second half.

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post

Boy the guy calling that game sure does sound handsome.
        Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

Jumped on with USCHO live yesterday to talk some AHC, Army, and whatnot last night. You'll also want to hear what I have to say about Bentley: http://www.uscho.com/uscho-live/2016...13-uscho-live/
          Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
            Jumped on with USCHO live yesterday to talk some AHC, Army, and whatnot last night. You'll also want to hear what I have to say about Bentley: http://www.uscho.com/uscho-live/2016...13-uscho-live/
            Listened to this last night. In complete agreement with you Dan, this team has the potential to break out at any time, and hopefully that win on Friday at RMU is a good motivator. Just gotta get all the cogs in the right place to make the whole system run, and we'll be pretty tough to beat. I think a huge game in terms of momentum and setting the tone for the rest of the season will be Frozen Fenway and the series vs. Army. With Army being such a strong team this year, picking up 4 points from them will definitely be a tough task. But, if we manage to pull it off, it'll be a huge confidence boost and will hopefully be the spark to a great second half. Not to mention the contribution that a win at Fenway in that environment and with a big crowd will do for those guys. Let's hope for a fun second half.

I will also be attending at least one of the UVM games with a few others, but unfortunately will not be able to attend Frozen Fenway due to an already planned trip to Florida I'll be there in spirit!

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
              Listened to this last night. In complete agreement with you Dan, this team has the potential to break out at any time, and hopefully that win on Friday at RMU is a good motivator. Just gotta get all the cogs in the right place to make the whole system run, and we'll be pretty tough to beat. I think a huge game in terms of momentum and setting the tone for the rest of the season will be Frozen Fenway and the series vs. Army. With Army being such a strong team this year, picking up 4 points from them will definitely be a tough task. But, if we manage to pull it off, it'll be a huge confidence boost and will hopefully be the spark to a great second half. Not to mention the contribution that a win at Fenway in that environment and with a big crowd will do for those guys. Let's hope for a fun second half.

I will also be attending at least one of the UVM games with a few others, but unfortunately will not be able to attend Frozen Fenway due to an already planned trip to Florida I'll be there in spirit!
              Will look for your group at the Gutt, 527. Likewise, I will miss Frozen Fenway this January, but no question that we have four tough games coming up. Hoping that we can channel some of that positive energy from the beginning of the season in the win and tie against UNH and NU.

Comment

Heavy snow in the forecast for the North Country on Thursday, but I-93 and I-89 usually maintained well, so driving to UVM should be ok on Friday.

Comment

Tough weekend. Some decent play at times but some of the worst play all season the rest of the time. Will post thoughts on my plane ride to Florida tomorrow morning ☀️

Comment

• Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
                    Tough weekend. Some decent play at times but some of the worst play all season the rest of the time. Will post thoughts on my plane ride to Florida tomorrow morning ☀️
                    Only saw Friday's game, but that one fits your summary. I thought we played well in the first period, only outshot 16-11, and really think that Lekkas made several great saves to keep the Falcons off the scoreboard. But, French's behind the play cross-check in front of the ref that led to UVM's PPG in the first did not help. However, a continuation of stupid Falcon penalties early in the second pretty much decided the game; not much Argue could do about the four UVM PPGs, nor the two snipes that followed in the second, which really damaged his GAA and SV%. Teams that have subpar PK's should not take so many needless penalties, as I think that only one was necessary to prevent a likely UVM goal. Falcon PP coninues to flounder, now third worst in Div 1, albeit only two partial opportunities on Friday might. Good to see Pelino get some time in net for the third, and apparently he stopped over 40 shots in the 3-1 loss on Saturday night. But, other than goaltending, the Falcons have a lot to work on before conference play resumes. That said, UVM is a solid ranked team, so I am hoping that the challenges this weekend will pay dividends the rest of the season.
                    Last edited by Snively65; 12-31-2016, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Nice 3-1 win by Bentley over #1 Army at Frozen Fenway. Good way to begin 2017!

Comment

Nice 3-1 win by Bentley over #1 Army at Frozen Fenway. Good way to begin 2017!
                        No one in Pick'em picked Bentley, so of course they come up with the big W. Congrats.
                        Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                        College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                        Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                        Men's Frozen Four 2010
                        Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                        Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
                          No one in Pick'em picked Bentley, so of course they come up with the big W. Congrats.
                          I was leaning about 50-50 on Bentley winning one game or the other, but had no idea which one, so I went for Army to sweep, thinking that way I might hold my place ahead of Blazer. :-) However, given how far out of the running I am in AHC Pick 'Em, I probably should be making riskier picks.

Comment

I was leaning about 50-50 on Bentley winning one game or the other, but had no idea which one, so I went for Army to sweep, thinking that way I might hold my place ahead of Blazer. :-) However, given how far out of the running I am in AHC Pick 'Em, I probably should be making riskier picks.
                            Picking the Falcon's is always risky! : ) This is the week I make my move to 6th place in Pick'em but thank you for knocking off Army, feel free to do it again!
                            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Way to fight back from several down Falcons! You almost took hem again!
                              RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Huge weekend to start 2017!! Let's keep it rolling Falcons!!

Comment

Working...
                                X