Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bentley University Hockey 2016-2017: The (Max) French Revolution

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
    Any chance I can get a ticket if I walk up tonight?
    Really been hoping to get out to a gam at the JAR
    I do not think that getting a ticket tonight will be a problem. I was surprised that the home crowd was so small last night, after a big turnout against Northeastern two weeks ago. A lot of students left after getting their free t-shirt between the second and third periods. Bentley pep band is a nice addition to the Top Shelf, which always makes a good showing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
      Any chance I can get a ticket if I walk up tonight?
      Really been hoping to get out to a gam at the JAR
      Place is going to be empty tonight, there's a concert at campus that starts at 9. The Top Shelf will be there, but that might be about it.

Comment

Bad weekend. The dump and chase game was horrible. Something's gotta give. Have to break out and enter the offensive zone with possession and control. How many times can we dump the puck in from the red line, promptly get beat to the puck and retreat to our own zone? Tough weekend, but greener pastures await. Starting the season with 3 hockey east games and the two top teams in the AHA is tough right out of the gate. Hopefully it was good prep and we see some better play in the coming weeks!

@BentleyTopShelf

Comment

Disappointing weekend, to say the least. Congrats to the Tigers, they played a hard 60 minutes both nights and absolutely deserved victory. Very easy to see why they were picked to finish #1 in Atlantic Hockey. But back to the Falcons.

Friday's game was extremely disappointing to watch. Just sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. It's tough when you're playing 5 men on D with Solovyev out, but still no excuse for the countless careless mistakes that were made. Can't tell you the number of times where I literally face-palmed at bad touches/passes, poorly played offensive breakouts and just thoughtless plays on the puck. There were about 7 minutes during the second period where we actually looked like a capable team. And by capable team, I mean we maintained possession of the puck for more than 10 seconds at a time. Special teams were also extremely lacking. Argue actually played a decent game Friday night, he just had no support.

Saturday night we seemed to come out of the gates looking a lot better, tape to tape passes, good movement through the zone and just a better sense of teamwork. Then it all just fell apart. Two shorthanded goals allowed near the end of the period, one of which was completely on Argue, and we once again dug ourselves into a hole that was just too big to climb out of. Something that REALLY frustrated me about Saturday night were the lines that Soder put out. McDonald-French-Schmidt actually worked pretty well despite not scoring, but the line that really got to me was the 4th line. You've got Sieckhaus-Kucerovy-Suter, and Soder might have had them on the ice for a total of 3 minutes the ENTIRE game. Why would you put those guys in the lineup if you're legitimately not going to play them at all?! Especially when you're sitting guys like McMurphy, Kauppila, Ahlgren and Gorowsky??? It is just nonsensical to put guys in the lineup and bench them the whole game instead of playing TOP LINE TALENT. That said, I think our real downfall this weekend was our preparation and coaching.

We approached Friday's game with what seemed like the completely wrong attitude. We tried to play them extremely physical, and they are just a BIGGER team. Every time we dumped and chased, we would lose the battle for the puck because we would get out-bodied along the boards. Yeah, we played a sloppy game and made a lot of mistakes that absolutely contributed to the losses. But we just looked hopeless out there, without a game plan. And then after getting physically beaten on Friday, Coach decides to totally neglect the fourth line and overwork our top 3 lines, making them more tired and making it that much tougher to keep up with a team that is 6 pounds bigger than us on average.

Well, all I can say is that it's a **** good time for a weekend off and hopefully we can come back better than before vs AIC on Nov. 8th.

Comment

Laurel and Hardy strike again. Thought they were getting canned🙂🙂

Comment

Article about freshman defenseman Connor Brassard- http://digital.hockeyjournal.com/nxt...tid=Cover1#/50

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
                Disappointing weekend, to say the least. Congrats to the Tigers, they played a hard 60 minutes both nights and absolutely deserved victory. Very easy to see why they were picked to finish #1 in Atlantic Hockey. But back to the Falcons.

Friday's game was extremely disappointing to watch. Just sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. It's tough when you're playing 5 men on D with Solovyev out, but still no excuse for the countless careless mistakes that were made. Can't tell you the number of times where I literally face-palmed at bad touches/passes, poorly played offensive breakouts and just thoughtless plays on the puck. There were about 7 minutes during the second period where we actually looked like a capable team. And by capable team, I mean we maintained possession of the puck for more than 10 seconds at a time. Special teams were also extremely lacking. Argue actually played a decent game Friday night, he just had no support.

Saturday night we seemed to come out of the gates looking a lot better, tape to tape passes, good movement through the zone and just a better sense of teamwork. Then it all just fell apart. Two shorthanded goals allowed near the end of the period, one of which was completely on Argue, and we once again dug ourselves into a hole that was just too big to climb out of. Something that REALLY frustrated me about Saturday night were the lines that Soder put out. McDonald-French-Schmidt actually worked pretty well despite not scoring, but the line that really got to me was the 4th line. You've got Sieckhaus-Kucerovy-Suter, and Soder might have had them on the ice for a total of 3 minutes the ENTIRE game. Why would you put those guys in the lineup if you're legitimately not going to play them at all?! Especially when you're sitting guys like McMurphy, Kauppila, Ahlgren and Gorowsky??? It is just nonsensical to put guys in the lineup and bench them the whole game instead of playing TOP LINE TALENT. That said, I think our real downfall this weekend was our preparation and coaching.

We approached Friday's game with what seemed like the completely wrong attitude. We tried to play them extremely physical, and they are just a BIGGER team. Every time we dumped and chased, we would lose the battle for the puck because we would get out-bodied along the boards. Yeah, we played a sloppy game and made a lot of mistakes that absolutely contributed to the losses. But we just looked hopeless out there, without a game plan. And then after getting physically beaten on Friday, Coach decides to totally neglect the fourth line and overwork our top 3 lines, making them more tired and making it that much tougher to keep up with a team that is 6 pounds bigger than us on average.

Well, all I can say is that it's a **** good time for a weekend off and hopefully we can come back better than before vs AIC on Nov. 8th.
                I heard that at least two of them got hurt on Friday night, along with Solovyev, and Gorowsky apparently has mono. Agreed, good weekend to have a bye coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
                  You've got Sieckhaus-Kucerovy-Suter, and Soder might have had them on the ice for a total of 3 minutes the ENTIRE game. Why would you put those guys in the lineup if you're legitimately not going to play them at all?! Especially when you're sitting guys like McMurphy, Kauppila, Ahlgren and Gorowsky???
                  I only listened to the game over the 'net but if the Saturday game was on TV, the home team can sometimes use the TV time out to rest their top lines and basically roll with three lines instead of four if they don't like the 4th line match-ups. Not sure if this was the case on Saturday night but I have seen coaches do this before. You guys will be fine, you've had a tough early season schedule that will calibrate the team the rest of the way. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see you return the favor with a sweep of your own when you visit Rochester later in the season. Of course I don't want to see that but I wouldn't be surprised by it.
                  RPI Engineers
                  RIT Tigers
                  ARMY Black Knights

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    I heard that at least two of them got hurt on Friday night, along with Solovyev, and Gorowsky apparently has mono. Agreed, good weekend to have a bye coming up.
                    That's not good to hear, although it definitely clarifies some things. Them getting injured just reaffirms my suspicions that we tried to play them the wrong way, being overly physical and not taking advantage of the puck skills some of our younger guys have.

Comment

For what it's worth, I think there's a point that's being missed.

Bentley, by and large, hung with RIT and played them evenly, which when you consider the lack of experience on defense and the number of players out is a positive. RIT is the two-time defending league champions, and they looked it.

How did Bentley play them evenly? Well I think I detailed this on the roundup for both nights, but it boiled down to the Falcon PP. The Bentley PP unit was a mess all weekend. On a 5-on-3 they didn't get a single shot, and then they gave up 2 SHG's on Saturday (if memory serves). On Friday, if you take the special teams goals Bentley gave up off the board, they're in a 1-1 tie because the ENG can also come off the board. Similar for Saturday given the shorties and the lack of a productive PP.

The lack of a pp can be easily attributed to a number of different factors, starting with Solovyev, who is the defenseman QB'ing it. I think we might've mentioned that on the air.

Anyways - it is a good time for a bye, but the bye isn't a full two weeks. Because of the awkward scheduling involving AIC, the next game comes midweek next week. So it's not a full two week break and instead works into this weird Tuesday/Thursday setup for the league games out in Springfield. On the bright side, it'll be exciting to see how Bentley plays against AIC on the professional rink at the MassMutual Center.

Will not be making the trip but encourage people to head out there. If you'd never been to the OIC, you don't know what you're missing with the plush new digs at MMC.
                      Win today and we'll walk together forever. -Ray Shero

Comment

Originally posted by eXcSports View Post
                        For what it's worth, I think there's a point that's being missed.

Bentley, by and large, hung with RIT and played them evenly, which when you consider the lack of experience on defense and the number of players out is a positive. RIT is the two-time defending league champions, and they looked it.

How did Bentley play them evenly? Well I think I detailed this on the roundup for both nights, but it boiled down to the Falcon PP. The Bentley PP unit was a mess all weekend. On a 5-on-3 they didn't get a single shot, and then they gave up 2 SHG's on Saturday (if memory serves). On Friday, if you take the special teams goals Bentley gave up off the board, they're in a 1-1 tie because the ENG can also come off the board. Similar for Saturday given the shorties and the lack of a productive PP.

The lack of a pp can be easily attributed to a number of different factors, starting with Solovyev, who is the defenseman QB'ing it. I think we might've mentioned that on the air.

Anyways - it is a good time for a bye, but the bye isn't a full two weeks. Because of the awkward scheduling involving AIC, the next game comes midweek next week. So it's not a full two week break and instead works into this weird Tuesday/Thursday setup for the league games out in Springfield. On the bright side, it'll be exciting to see how Bentley plays against AIC on the professional rink at the MassMutual Center.

Will not be making the trip but encourage people to head out there. If you'd never been to the OIC, you don't know what you're missing with the plush new digs at MMC.
                        Excellent insightful comments, as always, Dan.

Remember 2013-2014 when the Falcons had one of the top 2-3 PPs in Div 1? Weinstein at QB, with Gensler (5 PPGs), Grieg (9), and Gladiuk (15) all capable of putting the puck in the net. I believe that their PP unit led Div 1 for PPGs for most of the season, with Weinstein leading Div 1 in assists at 37?

Comment

Any injury updates for tomorrow night's tilt?
                          Bentley University Hockey
                          On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
                            Any injury updates for tomorrow night's tilt?
                            And, anyone driving out to Springfield from Bentley? I may drive out Thursday night. Too bad that there is not an Amtrak direct route.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              And, anyone driving out to Springfield from Bentley? I may drive out Thursday night. Too bad that there is not an Amtrak direct route.
                              Unfortunately not. Thursday is still a possibility but pretty unlikely. Also no idea about injuries, but I saw Solovyev walking around with a cast on his right arm a few days ago...

Edit: McMurphy was just spotted in class 20 minutes ago, so probably safe to say he won't be playing tonight either...
                              Last edited by acohen527; 11-08-2016, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Big, much needed win tonight. Will post a weekend recap in the next couple days.

Comment

Working...
                                X