PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Shirtless Guy
06-07-2016, 04:25 PM
MSU and MI were 2-for-1s, so they had to finish the back-end of those deals this year. Duluth, I'm pretty confident will make a return trip to Houghton in one of the following 2-3 seasons. ND sounded like a last-minute add, so I'm guessing Tech was supposed to be playing WI as had been discussed, and that deal is now on hold with the regime change in Madison. I wouldn't hold my breath on ever seeing ND in Houghton.Wisconsin is locked in to a return trip, that has been tentatively scheduled for 2017-18 from the beginning. Mel confirmed as much on MPS 1/25/2016. Mel made it sound like ND is coming to Houghton but I'm with everyone else on that...unlikely. Mel stated on MPS 5/20/2016 that UMD will be coming to Houghton in 2018-19, which makes sense with MTU's participation in the Icebreaker in Duluth at the start of the 2017-18 season.

mtu_huskies
06-07-2016, 10:12 PM
MSU and MI were 2-for-1s, so they had to finish the back-end of those deals this year. Duluth, I'm pretty confident will make a return trip to Houghton in one of the following 2-3 seasons. ND sounded like a last-minute add, so I'm guessing Tech was supposed to be playing WI as had been discussed, and that deal is now on hold with the regime change in Madison. I wouldn't hold my breath on ever seeing ND in Houghton.

Do we get paid to do 2 for 1s? I'm just wondering if college hockey is going down the path of college football where smaller programs travel more in non-conference and get paid to do so and it ultimately helps the funding of the program/athletic department.

mtu_huskies
06-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Here's my attempt at posting last year stats for recruits.

Any guess for the 9 or 10 freshmen Mel mentioned during his show a few weeks back?
Gerrie, Gould, Beretta Brice, Smith, Pedersen, Watson, Reinke, Ford, Redmond is 10

Player GP G A Points League
Angus Redmond-G 47 3.11 0.902 (BCHL)
Mitch Reinke-RD 56 6 26 32 (USHL)
Cooper Watson-D 57 2 5 7 (USHL)
Travis Brown-RD 52 9 13 22 (NAHL)
Chris Gerrie-LC 67 16 29 45 (BCHL)
Jake Gingell-D 55 1 5 6 (USHL)
Tristan Rostagno-LD 52 7 8 15 (NAHL)
Mitch Newsome-RW 54 9 14 23 (BCHL)
Jagger Williamson-F 55 7 22 29 (BCHL)
Gavin Gould-F 68 30 46 76 (BCHL)
Keegan Ford-D 68 12 36 48 (USHL)
Carver Watson-D 23 0 0 0 (USHL)
Thomas Beretta-F 59 42 29 71 (OJHL)
Keaton Pehrson-D 51 3 22 25 (MNSHL/Elite league)
Raymond Brice 60 23 15 38 (NAHL)
Colin Swoyer-D 40 15 30 45 (Elite League/USHL)
Alex Smith-C 61 33 54 87 (SJHL)
Jackson Cates 50 29 46 75 (MNSHL)
Tommy Parrottino 41 29 31 60 (Elite League/USDP)
Erik Pedersen 54 20 54 74 (AJHL)

davyd83
06-07-2016, 11:55 PM
Do we get paid to do 2 for 1s? I'm just wondering if college hockey is going down the path of college football where smaller programs travel more in non-conference and get paid to do so and it ultimately helps the funding of the program/athletic department.

It depends on the agreements between the schools. I don't know what Mel had negotiated with UM & MSU, but LSSU isn't getting any money for the extra trips downstate.

redwing61
06-08-2016, 06:54 AM
Here's my attempt at posting last year stats for recruits.

Any guess for the 9 or 10 freshmen Mel mentioned during his show a few weeks back?
Gerrie, Gould, Beretta Brice, Smith, Pedersen, Watson, Reinke, Ford, Redmond is 10

That looks right. All of those guys are at least 20 years old *today*. Tristan Rostagno is the next oldest recruit (9/25/1996).

Shirtless Guy
06-08-2016, 04:08 PM
That looks right. All of those guys are at least 20 years old *today*. Tristan Rostagno is the next oldest recruit (9/25/1996).

I'm in agreement with that list if we're talking about Cooper Watson.

I have Gingell, Rostagno, Newsome, Williamson, Carver Watson, Cates, and Parrottino penciled in for 2018-19.
Then I have Pehrson and Swoyer penciled in for 2019-20.
I don't know where to put Travis Brown. He had a decent year but I've thought for awhile that he would decommit and move on with the stack of d-men and no NLI yet.

Shirtless Guy
06-09-2016, 04:01 PM
Former Husky, Brett Boeing has committed to play for UMass after his return to the USHL after the GLI.

JohnsonsJerseys
06-09-2016, 05:39 PM
Brett Boeing has committed to play for UMassWell it is too bad to see him leave, but he'll get plenty of playing time out there. U-Mass is currently a dumpster fire. Michigan Tech pre-Mel could have beaten the teams U-Mass has put on the ice the last couple years.
Ryan J

Wi.Huskies Fan
06-10-2016, 12:06 AM
Former Husky, Brett Boeing has committed to play for UMass after his return to the USHL after the GLI.

Seems he can't figure out where he wants to play.This will be the 3rd team he has been with in less than a year.
He did look good out there in his time here at Tech...but I think wanted more ice time. He would have got it if he was a little more patient. Maybe Tech wasn't a good fit for him. Who knows.

gfmorris
06-10-2016, 04:49 AM
Seems he can't figure out where he wants to play.This will be the 3rd team he has been with in less than a year.

He had USHL eligibility, so he could drop back to Tier I and play hockey while making a choice about where to play varsity hockey next. You see this a few times a year.

GFM <— kinda hoped that UAH would pick him up

bigblue_dl
06-10-2016, 09:53 AM
Well it is too bad to see him leave, but he'll get plenty of playing time out there. U-Mass is currently a dumpster fire. Michigan Tech pre-Mel could have beaten the teams U-Mass has put on the ice the last couple years.
Ryan J

Hope he enjoys those 6 wins per year.

Shirtless Guy
06-10-2016, 10:13 AM
He had USHL eligibility, so he could drop back to Tier I and play hockey while making a choice about where to play varsity hockey next. You see this a few times a year.

GFM < kinda hoped that UAH would pick him up

Yeah, its the same thing Keegan Ford did...left wisconsin, went back to USHL, committed to MTU.

rustedblades
06-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Yeah, its the same thing Keegan Ford did...left wisconsin, went back to USHL, committed to MTU.

Is Ford slated to come in this year?

Unless he is an absolute star he may be facing some tough sledding to break the line up. (unless someone leaves for the pros prior to the start of the season) If he was unhappy in WI because of playing time he might want to spend another year in the USHL. If he comes in this year it is definitely going to create some competition which is great for the team. Hate to see one of the existing guys end up like WH did this past season however.

If all 4 of these D men come in there are definitely going to be some unhappy campers. (Pehrson, Watson, Reinke, Ford)

I think now a days everyone coming in thinks they should play every game. It is going to be a very interesting season from a defenseman's standpoint.

I believe 3 of them (Watson, Reinke, Ford) can play another year of Juniors. Pehrson can play another 2, maybe 3.

Drop the puck already!

Shirtless Guy
06-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Is Ford slated to come in this year?

Unless he is an absolute star he may be facing some tough sledding to break the line up. (unless someone leaves for the pros prior to the start of the season) If he was unhappy in WI because of playing time he might want to spend another year in the USHL. If he comes in this year it is definitely going to create some competition which is great for the team. Hate to see one of the existing guys end up like WH did this past season however.

If all 4 of these D men come in there are definitely going to be some unhappy campers. (Pehrson, Watson, Reinke, Ford)

I think now a days everyone coming in thinks they should play every game. It is going to be a very interesting season from a defenseman's standpoint.

I believe 3 of them (Watson, Reinke, Ford) can play another year of Juniors. Pehrson can play another 2, maybe 3.

Drop the puck already!Ford is definitely coming in, while he could play another year of juniors, his clock has started so it would cost him a year of eligibility. I have Watson, Reinke and Ford penciled in for 2016-17.

Pearson has typically had 9 or more d-men on the team in a given year, with 8 the minimum in 2015 and 2012. Have to have depth in case of injuries. It will be interesting to see what the young guys can do when there are 6 very good d-men returning (unless we have some departures?).

If I have the next 3 years pegged, MTU will have at least 9 d-men on the team until at least 2019-20, thats without figuring out Travis Brown...

Shirtless Guy
06-14-2016, 09:37 AM
A special Mel Pearson Show announced for Monday 6/20

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/sports/mice/2016-17/releases/20160614dbdt2o

huskyfan
06-14-2016, 06:32 PM
I may have called the Monte a ****ing dive before, but that's not a bad thing. I don't mind dive bars, but the Monte is most definitely a dive.

I only get to Houghton once, maybe twice a year, and that is to recruit. The last time I was there, in April, was the rare time I was in Houghton by myself, and didn't have anything going on in the evening. But was only in town for 1 day.

I could resent that remark. sure, you've trolled Houghton and Hancock, but have you hit the North end? the Drift Inn? Randy's, Vansville, Cliff View? you're talking out of your league, boy. ever been to the the former "after hours" bar in Eagle River? I'd like to throw in a couple Copper Harbor ones, but they are pretty classy.

bigblue_dl
06-14-2016, 06:42 PM
I could resent that remark. sure, you've trolled Houghton and Hancock, but have you hit the North end? the Drift Inn? Randy's, Vansville, Cliff View? you're talking out of your league, boy. ever been to the the former "after hours" bar in Eagle River? I'd like to throw in a couple Copper Harbor ones, but they are pretty classy.

Been to Randy's and Cliff View. And I didn't say that dive bars are bad, I don't have a problem with them. Dive bars are just a specific type of bar, IMO, and they can be a very fun time. As I get older, I find I loke dives more and more, as long as they have more beer selection than macro garbage. Thats usually not an issue in the Keweenaw since they all usually get a few cans of KBC.

huskyfan
06-14-2016, 07:50 PM
Been to Randy's and Cliff View. And I didn't say that dive bars are bad, I don't have a problem with them. Dive bars are just a specific type of bar, IMO, and they can be a very fun time. As I get older, I find I loke dives more and more, as long as they have more beer selection than macro garbage. Thats usually not an issue in the Keweenaw since they all usually get a few cans of KBC.

yeah, I pretty much love the dives. the old Eagle River after hours was great. there was an actual old bar and a pool table. the bathroom was a different house next door. it had a door, but the door wasn't mounted. you went in, move the door as best you could or brought a girlfriend with you did you business and hollered if you heard some one else coming in. the cliental (I think) was swept up from the other bars in the areas closing. ah the ... days. always fond of Randy's , free popcorn, poppers, Red Wings usually on and the old pics. we chased the Huskies around most of the country and I must say Randys was one of my fav post games. but can understand the students staying in the Ho-Ha area since that was where they lived. we were heading up North anyway, so Randy's, Vanville, etc made good stopping points.

gfmorris
06-15-2016, 12:41 AM
Some year, I'm coming up and drinking with you lot when UAH is in town. Sadly, that won't be this year — I'll have just gotten back from a delayed honeymoon in Iceland!

GFM

manurespreader
06-15-2016, 10:32 PM
yeah, I pretty much love the dives. the old Eagle River after hours was great. there was an actual old bar and a pool table. the bathroom was a different house next door. it had a door, but the door wasn't mounted. you went in, move the door as best you could or brought a girlfriend with you did you business and hollered if you heard some one else coming in. the cliental (I think) was swept up from the other bars in the areas closing. ah the ... days. always fond of Randy's , free popcorn, poppers, Red Wings usually on and the old pics. we chased the Huskies around most of the country and I must say Randys was one of my fav post games. but can understand the students staying in the Ho-Ha area since that was where they lived. we were heading up North anyway, so Randy's, Vanville, etc made good stopping points.
I love dive bars. I remember Pitchitino's in Calumet after an evening of rat shooting at the dump was fantastic,( a 10 oz draft was 10 cents) and there was a bar in South Range I particularly liked, though I have no idea what the name of it was. Plus of course the gay bar but I didn't go there very often.