PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23

redwing61
08-26-2016, 01:42 PM
Obviously it's not official but some notes at this point.
No Keegan Ford listed yet
Todd Kiilunen is listed at D from Brighton, MI
Patrick Anderson is listed, didn't he participate in the senior night last year?

They have both Patrick Anderson and Thomas Beretta wearing #13. Perhaps the door was open for Anderson to return, but he recently decided not to and so Beretta took his number?

I have to think Kiilunen's listing means Ford isn't coming. Odd that Kiilunen would come in as an 18-year-old and we didn't know anything about it until now, unless a spot just opened up and Pearson told him it was now or never.

Madison Husky
08-26-2016, 08:39 PM
The main Hockey Roster page is still 15-16, but updating the website with 2016-17 has a roster on it.

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/sports/mice/2016-17/roster

Patrick Anderson is listed, didn't he participate in the senior night last year?

I realize that the Keegan Ford situation is purely conjecture at this point, but if it turns out to be true that he won't be a Husky this season I can't help but wonder if the all-new staff at Wisconsin may have talked him into returning. Per this article, Wisconsin has some roster setbacks and only has 6 defensemen to start the season. http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2016/8/26/12659440/philip-nyberg-wisconsin-madison-ushl-admissions

manurespreader
08-26-2016, 08:45 PM
I realize that the Keegan Ford situation is purely conjecture at this point, but if it turns out to be true that he won't be a Husky this season I can't help but wonder if the all-new staff at Wisconsin may have talked him into returning. Per this article, Wisconsin has some roster setbacks and only has 6 defensemen to start the season. http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2016/8/26/12659440/philip-nyberg-wisconsin-madison-ushl-admissions
Didn't he sign an NLI?

rustedblades
08-27-2016, 11:59 AM
Regarding Ford; I couldn't understand why he left Wisconsin anyway. He played every game while he was there as a freshman. It would be tough to expect that anywhere else. Especially at Tech with the defense they've got.
I would think he could see that Tech will be a tough lineup to crack.
Probably got some insight from Boeing and realized how tough it would be.
I believe if Tech let's him out of the NLI he could go back to Wisconsin if they would take him back.
Hope it all works out for him whatever he decides.
Got to be tough on a young kid. Probably not making any of these decisions on his own; good or bad.

Laker Dude
08-27-2016, 02:01 PM
Regarding Ford; I couldn't understand why he left Wisconsin anyway. He played every game while he was there as a freshman. It would be tough to expect that anywhere else. Especially at Tech with the defense they've got.
I would think he could see that Tech will be a tough lineup to crack.

I was not sure why he left Wisconsin either. With the new coaching staff, it would not surprise me if he returns, especially with his brother still playing for Wisconsin.

manurespreader
08-27-2016, 04:03 PM
I was not sure why he left Wisconsin either. With the new coaching staff, it would not surprise me if he returns, especially with his brother still playing for Wisconsin.
No offense to anyone, but you can't go jerking people and organizations around like this. People are spending a lot of time and money to get you in and when you make a commitment you need to stick to it. especially if you are only there to fill in until january.

Second, is there not such a thing as the gentlemen agreement? You have to think that wisconsin violated it. Pretty early in his coaching career to do that. You get a reputation for doing things the wrong way. It's a small community after all.

Third you don't want someone here who doesn't want to be here and if he's not here by now he's not coming, but I'd make him wait a bit for his NLI release.

bigblue_dl
08-27-2016, 05:16 PM
No offense to anyone, but you can't go jerking people and organizations around like this. People are spending a lot of time and money to get you in and when you make a commitment you need to stick to it. especially if you are only there to fill in until january.

Second, is there not such a thing as the gentlemen agreement? You have to think that wisconsin violated it. Pretty early in his coaching career to do that. You get a reputation for doing things the wrong way. It's a small community after all.

Third you don't want someone here who doesn't want to be here and if he's not here by now he's not coming, but I'd make him wait a bit for his NLI release.

There are no gentleman in the Big10 or NACHO. They're all ****ing *****s.

FadeToBlack&Gold
08-27-2016, 06:34 PM
The "gentleman's agreement" all but died a few years ago when Lucia, Eaves, York, and a few others openly said they wouldn't adhere to it any longer. The only thing preventing it from being officially ended is that a majority of the D1 head coaches are still upholding it when it's voted on.

rustedblades
08-27-2016, 08:05 PM

Him going back to Wisconsin is just speculation. Might be a little premature to be going after the coaches.Even if he does go back we don't know that they contacted him.
Cut the kid a little slack until you know for sure what his situation is. If you want him to stick to commitment he should go back to Wisconsin; his first commitment.
As far as delaying his release, why? Again he's just a kid.

manurespreader
08-27-2016, 09:20 PM
you're right. my bad.

gfmorris
08-27-2016, 09:50 PM
Didn't he sign an NLI?

I do believe that's the deciding factor as to whether he can go back cleanly or not. Maybe it's whether or not he enrolls in classes, though.

GFM

manurespreader
08-27-2016, 10:15 PM
I do believe that's the deciding factor as to whether he can go back cleanly or not. Maybe it's whether or not he enrolls in classes, though.

GFM
Well as RB said, we don't know what's going on other than he's not here and classes start monday. As a freshman he should have been here for orientation as well. The only question is where is he going to land.
Having said that, I doubt they would do anything negative toward mr ford.

gfmorris
08-27-2016, 10:48 PM
Well as RB said, we don't know what's going on other than he's not here and classes start monday. As a freshman he should have been here for orientation as well. The only question is where is he going to land.
Having said that, I doubt they would do anything negative toward mr ford.

True. He's 1996-05-30, so could it be that he'd play a 5th year in Dubuque? I checked their roster and didn't see anyone listed at all for this season. I think that he'd be good enough to be on their list of players who could be on the team at age 20.

GFM

rustedblades
08-28-2016, 04:00 PM
The main Hockey Roster page is still 15-16, but updating the website with 2016-17 has a roster on it.

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/sports/mice/2016-17/roster

Kiilunen is the grandson of Tech prof Don Daavettila (Nuclear Engineering) and long time time keeper for Tech home games. Big local connections! Good luck to him!

manurespreader
08-28-2016, 06:57 PM
Kiilunen is the grandson of Tech prof Don Daavettila (Nuclear Engineering) and long time time keeper for Tech home games. Big local connections! Good luck to him!
Does anyone know much about him?
I found out a little: 5 11, 175, played two games for omaha in USHL in 2014 and went back to victory Honda last year. No other Jr hockey experience that I can find.

DPlaya
08-28-2016, 08:45 PM
Didn't he sign an NLI?

Yes, he signed an NLI with Michigan Tech (http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/sports/mice/2015-16/releases/20160104dstyu9).

rustedblades
08-29-2016, 09:04 AM
Does anyone know much about him?
I found out a little: 5 11, 175, played two games for omaha in USHL in 2014 and went back to victory Honda last year. No other Jr hockey experience that I can find.

Eye4Talent must know something about Kiilunen. Found these posts from 7-30-13 and 5-6-14. I don't know how to incorporate old threads?

Re: Michigan Tech Offseason I - New teams, new scoreboard, new goals... bring it on! from 7-30-13

Quote Originally Posted by redwing61 View Post
Anderson posted the rosters via Twitter. Most of the players were local, but Peyton Frantti, who was a freshman on Culver Military Academy's third team last season, also attended. I know Culver turns out some talent, but I don't know whether Frantti's assignment is any indication that he's worth watching. There were no freshmen on the first team and only four on the second team. (Peyton apparently did play a handful of games with the second team.) He's is a '97 birthday from River Hills, Wisconsin (suburban Milwaukee); 6'0", 143 lbs. His brother Connor was a senior on the first team last year, will likely play for the Muskegon Lumberjacks this year and has committed to Northern Michigan. For what it's worth, Peyton's tweets demonstrate affinity for the U.P.

Response from Eye4Talent:

Family connections in the U.P.... Michigan Tech and Mel did recruit Connor. He ultimately chose Northern Michigan in a tight race over Tech, Lake Superior and Notre Dame. If Peyton grows and develops like his brother, I think he will be on Tech's radar in the future. In looking at the camp rosters, Todd Kiilunen will be a future prospect as well.

Re: Michigan Tech Offseason 2014: Nothing To Say from 5-6-14

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy
The USHL futures draft is today. And while '98s are kinda far out for MTU, one interesting name popped up. Carver Watson was selected in the 2nd round by Sioux City. I'm pretty sure he's the younger brother of current husky Cliff and future husky Cooper ('96-Waterloo), all defensemen.

Response from Eye4Talent:

Another kid picked in the USHL futures draft by Omaha. Todd Kiilunen from Brighton. i'm guessing he'll be on the radar soon. Another Finn with lots of connections to Tech with family and friends.

rustedblades
08-29-2016, 09:35 AM
Just looking at the roster...

Haven't analyzed it before but if Tech doesn't make a big push this season it may be a while before they have this kind of opportunity again. With 3 senior defensemen, Roy a Junior draftee, Birks a Sophmore draftee and Auk playing as well as he does there is a huge potential to lose the entire D-core after this season.

It is highly unlikely to lose all three underclassmen but not unlikely to lose 1 or even 2.

Can't imagine what 2017-18 will be like starting with Rienke, Kiilunen as the core. (Nothing against these 2) Almost seems like they would have to get 1 or both of these guys some meaningful playing time this year so they can contribute out of the gate next year.

eye4talent
08-29-2016, 11:56 AM
Can't imagine what 2017-18 will be like starting with Rienke, Kiilunen as the core. (Nothing against these 2) Almost seems like they would have to get 1 or both of these guys some meaningful playing time this year so they can contribute out of the gate next year.

Don't look for Kiilunen to get any ice time this season. He's not ready for this level yet. He leveled off after showing promise as a younger player. i think he's an emergency option (probably invited walk on) with Ford not enrolling. Reinke will challenge for playing time this year.

herbst20
08-29-2016, 04:38 PM
Just looking at the roster...

Mitch Reinke is ready for college hockey. Matter of fact, he probably could have gone and played last season but came back to get physically stronger.

I dont have official numbers of ice time, but he was 1st pairing both years (and chewed up alot of minutes) he played here in CR. His hockey IQ is off the charts.