Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    ASU has announced that the Desert Hockey classic will be held in Prescott AZ. I'm wondering who the he** is going to drive way up to Prescott for hockey games. It's home to Northern AZ Univ, but other than that population is 39,000. Nuts if you ask me.
    NAU is in Flagstaff, almost 100 miles from Prescott.

Prescott does have a 5100 seat arena, which I'm sure ASU would kill for as their home venue. But it's 108 miles to the ASU campus.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

ASU has announced that the Desert Hockey classic will be held in Prescott AZ. I'm wondering who the he** is going to drive way up to Prescott for hockey games. It's home to Northern AZ Univ, but other than that population is 39,000. Nuts if you ask me.
      And an average high temperature of only about 50 degrees in December/January. So much for people hoping for that winter getaway.
      Originally posted by dicaslover
      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
        And an average high temperature of only about 50 degrees in December/January. So much for people hoping for that winter getaway.
        I was going to look into playing golf that week, but I saw the average minimum is like 25. So again, where are the fans going to come from because I don't see ASU fans driving up for this and I don't see many locals going to the games either. Maybe the parents and what few fans the visiting teams come up with is it. Certainly cheaper than renting a big NHL rink and having no one show however.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I don't see ASU fans driving up for this...
          Considering their fans wouldn't drive across town to Gila River for last year's event, I would have to agree. Unless they are like Midwestern folks and like to get away "Up Norte".

"This is a great alternative," ASU coach Greg Powers said. "It's intimate and will be full."
          Better pick three different teams that have fans who travel well... because it isn't going to be Brown, U-Conn and SCSU.
          Ryan J
          Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 07-21-2016, 02:49 PM.
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

well, that's stupid. way to draw a crowd.
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Question:
              Is this incoming group the best overall class recruited by Mel from top to bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                Question:
                Is this incoming group the best overall class recruited by Mel from top to bottom.
                It is always a shot in the dark to judge players on paper before they even hit the ice. I think it is tough to judge the value of a class until they've played their four (or less) years and departed. Only then do you really know what they brought to the table. You could have the greatest class ever on paper, but if one can't make grades, another bolts after one season and the others are just slightly above average, they really don't help build the program and take it to the next level. On the other hand I've seen some pretty average recruits make monster strides and have a big impact on the program. It goes both ways...
                Ryan J
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                  Question:
                  I'd have to say that the class with Phillips, Copley, Khaira, Petan, Gould and Eick would be nearly impossible to beat. Landing two elite goalies in the same year was quite a feat. I like this year's recruit class, but I'm not seeing that kind of depth in it.

Comment

I would really, really, like to see the quality of the recruiting classes get gradually better. I think that can happen and I realize that according to research recently published, the biggest factor in success of an athlete isn't talent but good coaching and plenty of practice, but I still think we have to be better at recruiting.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      I would really, really, like to see the quality of the recruiting classes get gradually better. I think that can happen and I realize that according to research recently published, the biggest factor in success of an athlete isn't talent but good coaching and plenty of practice, but I still think we have to be better at recruiting.
                      Proper practice and proper coaching.

Comment

Mel Pearson Show update on Monday morning.

http://michigantechhuskies.com/sport...20160728amyodi

Comment

I think we are generally. Look at how far the defense has come, not to dig on Walker Hyland, but he was a very promising prospect who did well early on but our defensive recruiting has gotten so much better that he could barely get a chance to play last year and the battle to be top 6 next year will be the toughest I've ever seen with quality and depth.

The forwards are a far more interesting to see what happens. Last year's seniors were such an amazing group. But Lucchini was surprisingly good and there is quality throughout the lineup.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                            Mel Pearson Show update on Monday morning.http://michigantechhuskies.com/sport...20160728amyodi
                            Anyone catch it? Updates

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                              Anyone catch it? Updates
                              dang, completely forgot to set recording
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                dang, completely forgot to set recording
                                it's posted already:

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/m...l_Pearson_Show
                                MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Working...
                                X