PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

huskyfan
08-09-2016, 02:28 PM
tMel has repeatedly said he was not going anywhere and wished to finish out his career at MTU. in order for him to make the leap to Michigan he would have to go back on his word. Mel doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. not at all.

Madison Husky
08-09-2016, 08:17 PM
Some positive press for a recruit Tech did get! They spelled his name wrong but sounds like he's got some promise!

USA Hockey Select 16 Player Development Camp Player Rankings

28. Logan Pietella, Royal #17, Right Shot, 5'11"/160, Little Caesar's 16U (Michigan Tech) -€” He had just two goals, but he was a complete player who gave it his all in all three zones. He blocked shots in his own zone and he was fast in puck pursuit. He skated well and showed some signs of being able to possess the puck and get to the net.

Speaking of Logan Pietilla and his brother Blake, I just saw this news about an accident they were involved in today...pretty scarey. Prayers are being sent their way.
http://fox8.com/2016/08/09/van-flips-9-teens-hurt-after-driver-tries-to-switch-seats-without-stopping/

Let's hope that they are OK along with the rest of their passengers. Based on the names of the 10 teens involved it sounds like they were all from the Michigan Tech hockey connection families from the Howell / Brighton area.

davyd83
08-10-2016, 01:12 AM
Their job isn't to steer kids to MTU. Goes to show even with the recent success of the program, it's still an uphill battle when it comes to recruiting. Personally I don't care where they get players from, as long as they can play.

Exactly. Coaches talk to recruiters. They give a very honest and frank assessment of their kid. They give their kids their impression of their opportunities. It would do a USHL coach no good to get the reputation of trying to steer players to their alma mater or to their buddy's team. As soon as you do that, your integrity is compromised both with players and recruiters.

davyd83
08-10-2016, 01:25 AM
But the know-it-all ******* from Marquette says differently!!!! :rolleyes:

Its funny how he thinks he knows things we don't.

Never said you didn't know of the buyout. It's fairly accessible knowledge. It is a factor. But bigger factors are whether Mel would be UMs first choice and if he were, would he go? Neither one of those is a given.

rustedblades
08-10-2016, 09:38 AM
Speaking of Logan Pietilla and his brother Blake, I just saw this news about an accident they were involved in today...pretty scarey. Prayers are being sent their way.
http://fox8.com/2016/08/09/van-flips-9-teens-hurt-after-driver-tries-to-switch-seats-without-stopping/

Let's hope that they are OK along with the rest of their passengers. Based on the names of the 10 teens involved it sounds like they were all from the Michigan Tech hockey connection families from the Howell / Brighton area.

Prayers to all families involved.

eye4talent
08-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Prayers to all families involved.

Miraculously, everyone is going to be ok.

eye4talent
08-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Exactly. Coaches talk to recruiters. They give a very honest and frank assessment of their kid. They give their kids their impression of their opportunities. It would do a USHL coach no good to get the reputation of trying to steer players to their alma mater or to their buddy's team. As soon as you do that, your integrity is compromised both with players and recruiters.

I'm sure some junior teams have better relationships with some college programs versus others but i'd like to think overall they remain pretty neutral.

Shirtless Guy
08-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Their job isn't to steer kids to MTU. Goes to show even with the recent success of the program, it's still an uphill battle when it comes to recruiting. Personally I don't care where they get players from, as long as they can play.

I'm sure some junior teams have better relationships with some college programs versus others but i'd like to think overall they remain pretty neutral.

The point is that we now have 3 positions with Tech friendly coaches and we're still struggling to get players after they get to those places. I'm sure previous coaches semi-actively steered players away from MTU because of the "wasteland" it had become. Now we have 3 advocates that can speak to the atmosphere, changes and everything and we still can't get much traction.

huskyfan
08-11-2016, 01:31 PM
Miraculously, everyone is going to be ok.

whew! it sounded bad.

giwan
08-11-2016, 02:25 PM
The point is that we now have 3 positions with Tech friendly coaches and we're still struggling to get players after they get to those places. I'm sure previous coaches semi-actively steered players away from MTU because of the "wasteland" it had become. Now we have 3 advocates that can speak to the atmosphere, changes and everything and we still can't get much traction.

I think you need to take into account that only Pat has been there for 3 yrs others less. Which means college coaches have their hooks into their players before they had time.

Shirtless Guy
08-11-2016, 02:37 PM
I think you need to take into account that only Pat has been there for 3 yrs others less. Which means college coaches have their hooks into their players before they had time.

Oh, I understand that we shouldn't have really any expectation from Youngstown...and to some extent, probably never will since a lot of the players there tend to come from the east, not the midwest.

I know Billy has tried but yes, most if not all of his players (including affiliates) at Tri-City were already committed.

I'm just hoping that we see more in the future if these guys stay with their teams and succeed.

eye4talent
08-12-2016, 02:38 PM
Tech has a new commitment. Drafted by Des Moines in the USHL this year. Going back to Delano for his senior year.

https://twitter.com/TigerHockeyAlum/status/764121606323044352

Shirtless Guy
08-12-2016, 02:53 PM
Tech has a new commitment. Drafted by Des Moines in the USHL this year. Going back to Delano for his senior year.

https://twitter.com/TigerHockeyAlum/status/764121606323044352

3rd leading scorer last year for Delano behind 2 other juniors...looks like there are lots of other yooper connections on the team:

Ray Heikkila, John Keranen, Kyle Ylitalo, Ross Oja, Ben Kivisto and more Halonens...

rustedblades
08-12-2016, 04:45 PM
3rd leading scorer last year for Delano behind 2 other juniors...looks like there are lots of other yooper connections on the team:

Ray Heikkila, John Keranen, Kyle Ylitalo, Ross Oja, Ben Kivisto and more Halonens...

Mom's a Pietila...related to the rest somehow

manurespreader
08-16-2016, 09:31 AM
You know Katie Ledecky, the olympic swimmer was interviewed before the olympics and was asked why she was so good. She said.." I put in the work" which she does. But she does more than that. Everyone puts in the work, she puts in more than the work, a lot more. Same can be said of hockey players. Everybody is working hard, only some are putting in more than others.
I hope our guys are doing that.

bigblue_dl
08-19-2016, 09:44 AM
You know Katie Ledecky, the olympic swimmer was interviewed before the olympics and was asked why she was so good. She said.." I put in the work" which she does. But she does more than that. Everyone puts in the work, she puts in more than the work, a lot more. Same can be said of hockey players. Everybody is working hard, only some are putting in more than others.
I hope our guys are doing that.

While putting in the work is extremely important, when you're at that level, it is much more than work. It is an innate ability to physically perform in whatever event/sport you're participating in. You get to be the best when you have that very special ability, and combine it with great work ethic.

manurespreader
08-19-2016, 10:25 AM
http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/06/01/479335421/practice-makes-possible-what-we-learn-by-studying-amazing-kids
also at the end you can read an excerpt from the book and the comments are particularly interesting.

Huskiefan906
08-20-2016, 01:04 PM
Lots of depth this year on the team.
How does this look to try to win the Cup ourselves.
I think there will be a lot of shuffling in and out of the lineup especially at home with possibly 4 players in and out on a regular basis.
I am rooting for Blacklock and Anderson to get regular time, but with the quality of the recruiting class, it will be a battle for playing time.

Heinonen Steman L'Esperance
Baltus Lucchini Gillies
Jackson Beretta Gerrie
Gould Neville Sturos

Anderson Smith Pederson
Blacklock Brice

Watson Roy
Auk Hanna
Leibinger Birks
Ford Reinke

Kero
Wintjes
Raymond

FadeToBlack&Gold
08-20-2016, 02:33 PM
That D core is going to be a tough lineup to crack, but we knew that already.

Laker Dude
08-20-2016, 05:26 PM
Lots of depth this year on the team.
How does this look to try to win the Cup ourselves.
I think there will be a lot of shuffling in and out of the lineup especially at home with possibly 4 players in and out on a regular basis.
I am rooting for Blacklock and Anderson to get regular time, but with the quality of the recruiting class, it will be a battle for playing time.

I think Ferris and Tech are the 2 front runners for winning the regular season title. I would pick Tech if I had to pick between the 2 right now.