Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2016-2017

Originally posted by bothman View Post
    I am not a Harvard graduate, but a lifelong fan of the program (my Dad went to Harvard and was on the tennis team there with Joe Cavanagh....amazing to think there was such a thing as a frosh team and multi-sport athletes). Can you imagine Jimmy Vesey playing golf or tennis in the Spring in this day and age?
    As a Devils fan I hope Jimmy Vesey spends many springs playing golf in this day and age. Mid-April through September would be just great.
    Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
    Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post

Just wanted to support your use of SUNY Ithaca...

Also frequently referenced: Ithaca State or just plain State
      SLU65

Comment

Well, I did not realize that Harvard University Band reads this forum until they showed up at the Yale game last weekend. Do you think there is any hope of a WHRB broadcast from Ithica?

Comment

From the live stats, it appeared that Harvard struggled a bit for the first two periods before turning it on in the third. Probably a typical Harvard-Cornell game but since I didn't see it, will wait for Bothman's review. Good to beat Cornell anywhere, any time.

BTW, why have we dropped to #13 in the Pairwise?? Did the RPI loss hurt that much?

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            From the live stats, it appeared that Harvard struggled a bit for the first two periods before turning it on in the third. Probably a typical Harvard-Cornell game but since I didn't see it, will wait for Bothman's review. Good to beat Cornell anywhere, any time.

BTW, why have we dropped to #13 in the Pairwise?? Did the RPI loss hurt that much?
            Harvard slept walked through the first two periods. Credit to Cornell who probably could have been hit with 2-3 charging penalties in the first 5 minutes, but Harvard was off its game. Weren't willing to pay the price to get the puck out of the zone. Madsen played very well positionally and really allowed us to survive things early.

The 3rd period was all Harvard. Harvard showed the real skill difference between the two teams and they went to a level that Cornell simply could not match. Harvard's 3rd goal was an incredible pass by Esposito to Donato who finished with class (backhand roof).

By the way, every single defensive and forward line was different. Sherman played with Anderson, Fox with Dumbrovsky, and Olson and Marino. Same on offense. Some of Harvard's 1st 2 periods might have been these new lines trying to get a feel for each other. Go on to collegehockeystats.net to see the forward lines. Crazy!

Harvard is now #9 in the PWR and could be #7 after tonight with a good performance. Be nice to get the next 2 (Colgate and Dartmouth) before the Beanpot vs Northeastern. Taking my oldest son and can't wait.

Comment

• One can only wonder why the referees didn't review what may have been a goal in the third period, but then I remember the conference that these two teams play in.

Comment

Harvard slept walked through the first two periods. Credit to Cornell who probably could have been hit with 2-3 charging penalties in the first 5 minutes, but Harvard was off its game. Weren't willing to pay the price to get the puck out of the zone. Madsen played very well positionally and really allowed us to survive things early.

The 3rd period was all Harvard. Harvard showed the real skill difference between the two teams and they went to a level that Cornell simply could not match. Harvard's 3rd goal was an incredible pass by Esposito to Donato who finished with class (backhand roof).

By the way, every single defensive and forward line was different. Sherman played with Anderson, Fox with Dumbrovsky, and Olson and Marino. Same on offense. Some of Harvard's 1st 2 periods might have been these new lines trying to get a feel for each other. Go on to collegehockeystats.net to see the forward lines. Crazy!

Harvard is now #9 in the PWR and could be #7 after tonight with a good performance. Be nice to get the next 2 (Colgate and Dartmouth) before the Beanpot vs Northeastern. Taking my oldest son and can't wait.
                How is it that (traditions aside) the fans can throw that many fish on the ice and not receive a delay of game penalty??? One or two, OK....but from the video I saw they threw half the Atlantic Ocean on the ice last night.

Second tidbit.......I was at Cornell last week when my Saints lost Saturday night to Cornell 3-2. At the end of the game the fans were chanting they wanted Harvard. The PA Announcers were also playing off the fact that they would be celebrating the reunion of their NCAA Championship team. Last night on TV I watched the NHL Top 100 Players presentation of which Dryden was one. The announcer actually said "Ken Dryden can't be here tonight as he is attending an event at Cornell." Pretty impressive he blew off the NHL Top 100 to attend a Cornell reunion.
                SLU

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hockey View Post
                  One can only wonder why the referees didn't review what may have been a goal in the third period, but then I remember the conference that these two teams play in.
                  Agreed. Especially since they reviewed the Harvard's 2nd goal (which should never have been reviewed) and effectively gave Cornell a prolonged timeout and changed the momentum when Harvard was basically having its way with the Big Red.

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                    How is it that (traditions aside) the fans can throw that many fish on the ice and not receive a delay of game penalty??? One or two, OK....but from the video I saw they threw half the Atlantic Ocean on the ice last night.

Second tidbit.......I was at Cornell last week when my Saints lost Saturday night to Cornell 3-2. At the end of the game the fans were chanting they wanted Harvard. The PA Announcers were also playing off the fact that they would be celebrating the reunion of their NCAA Championship team. Last night on TV I watched the NHL Top 100 Players presentation of which Dryden was one. The announcer actually said "Ken Dryden can't be here tonight as he is attending an event at Cornell." Pretty impressive he blew off the NHL Top 100 to attend a Cornell reunion.
                    1. Cornell got Harvard so hopefully they also got what they wanted
                    2. Cornell should have received a penalty (and probably 2 for this). Don't have the rule (not throwing fish once the game starts) if you are not going to enforce it and give Cornell a 2 minute bench minor
                    3. Cornell fans chanting "F You Harvard" as Harvard left the ice at the end of the game was pure class.

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post

There should be a statue of Ken Dryden right outside of Lynah. It's no secret that he's one of the most beloved alumni to wear a hockey jersey and that he very much liked his experiences on the East Hill as a student.

1. Cornell got Harvard so hopefully they also got what they wanted
                      2. Cornell should have received a penalty (and probably 2 for this). Don't have the rule (not throwing fish once the game starts) if you are not going to enforce it and give Cornell a 2 minute bench minor
                      3. Cornell fans chanting "F You Harvard" as Harvard left the ice at the end of the game was pure class.
                      The ushers (and there are many) are actually pretty fervent about enforcing the rules. And the person who threw the fish probably got caught anyway.

And your third point is part of the reason I actually preferred seeing the game the night before or after against Dartmouth as a student. For one, many of the same fairweathers who make it their mission to go to the Harvard game are mysteriously absent when the Big Green play, which meant more available and less-expensive tickets. The other thing is that I found the games against Harvard to be kind of dull compared to the chippiness and goonery that often happened in games against Dartmouth. Gaudet's antics as both a player and coach at Lynah are also well-documented, so there's that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hockey View Post
                        The ushers (and there are many) are actually pretty fervent about enforcing the rules. And the person who threw the fish probably got caught anyway.
                        I mean, they are, but they aren't. I have seen them search and they don't allow Subway sandwiches in because they know those are really fish (I've actually overheard this conversation between ushers.) But let's be honest there's also advice passed down from generation to generation to beat the search that the University turns a blind eye to.

I have actually SEEN Cornell get a 2-min penalty, but it was only because a kid threw a can of tuna at a Harvard goalie's head (want to say it was Michalek), and even that was after about a 3rd warning. Harvard scored on the ensuing PP and Schafer was so angry that he threw a fish at Section O after the game. Still the ECAC lets this go way more than, for example, the tennis balls between Dartmouth and Princeton. As long as we keep winning though, I don't really care and I doubt our players do either.
                        Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                        Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                          I mean, they are, but they aren't. I have seen them search and they don't allow Subway sandwiches in because they know those are really fish (I've actually overheard this conversation between ushers.) But let's be honest there's also advice passed down from generation to generation to beat the search that the University turns a blind eye to.

I have actually SEEN Cornell get a 2-min penalty, but it was only because a kid threw a can of tuna at a Harvard goalie's head (want to say it was Michalek), and even that was after about a 3rd warning. Harvard scored on the ensuing PP and Schafer was so angry that he threw a fish at Section O after the game. Still the ECAC lets this go way more than, for example, the tennis balls between Dartmouth and Princeton. As long as we keep winning though, I don't really care and I doubt our players do either.
                          The Cornell fans actually threw something on the ice during the game at Lynah my senior year which I can't describe on this forum because it would be banned immediately. It was disgusting and truly demonstrates the classless nature of the fans up there. Pretty sick actually. You're right, the players don't really care. It's all about the two points.

Comment

We got off to a fast start last night but then seemed to take our foot off the pedal. Mystifying as to why this team can't play a 60 minute game. Just the opposite of what happened the night before at Cornell.

And I'm not thrilled with the line combinations - Malone and Kerfoot on the same line?? Why? Doesn't make sense and I think it weakens us overall. But if the intent was to send a message, okay then I get it. Still wish Ryan Donato would use his teammates more often. He is trying to do too much by himself. Maybe Dad should sit him for a game or two?

Bring on the Green and some major payback for what happened last week. I want a win by six or more goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoop85 View Post
                              O'Leary was pretty heralded, and while Sternschein was once a pretty hot prospect, his star has dimmed some (not to say he won't be a good college player). I think Limoges is clearly more "heralded" than Sternschein at this point.
                              Limoges just de-committed from Cornell.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                                We got off to a fast start last night but then seemed to take our foot off the pedal. Mystifying as to why this team can't play a 60 minute game. Just the opposite of what happened the night before at Cornell.

And I'm not thrilled with the line combinations - Malone and Kerfoot on the same line?? Why? Doesn't make sense and I think it weakens us overall. But if the intent was to send a message, okay then I get it. Still wish Ryan Donato would use his teammates more often. He is trying to do too much by himself. Maybe Dad should sit him for a game or two?

Bring on the Green and some major payback for what happened last week. I want a win by six or more goals.
                                Too early to tell on line combos. I think I like the D combos better though. Anderson needs a stay at home guy like Sherman to cover for some of his limitations.

We did take our foot off the gas, but Colgate had very few Grade A scoring chances. We went 4-0 on the road this year for the North Country and Cornell/Colgate trips.

Agree wholeheartedly on Donato. His finish against Cornell was class, but he needs to start distributing the biscuit.

Comment

Working...
                                X