Women's Championship draws more viewers than last year's Men's Title Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Championship draws more viewers than last year's Men's Title Game

I'm not trying to cram Women's hockey down anyone's throat, I don't care if you like it or not. I posted this as an interesting, and somewhat surprising, note. It is noted in the article that the Women's Championship was on broadcast TV, rather than cable, but it was also on tape-delay a week late. Of course there were chumbalones who didn't realize it wasn't live and complained to the newspaper for their lack of coverage the next day.

http://www.startribune.com/tape-dela...age/374820641/
    SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
    UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
    Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
    Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
    UMD Football: 2008, 2010
    UMD Men: 2011

Re: Women's Championship draws more viewers than last year's Men's Title Game

Easter Sunday, no other real sports, and as mentioned on GPL, I'd like to see the state-breakdown, since I bet it was heavily skewed between MN and MA.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Also, for last year's Men's Final, Boston area fans could watch it live. Ordinarily the live audience isn't large enough to affect the TV audience, but with the puny numbers we're talking about here, they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Easter Sunday, no other real sports, and as mentioned on GPL, I'd like to see the state-breakdown, since I bet it was heavily skewed between MN and MA.
        I''m sure the men's championship game last year was heavily skewed to Boston/Providence and New England. It was the fourth lowest in households and second lowest in viewers, likely due to limited interest in other areas. Here are the TV ratings since 1995 according to the NCAA and I've also created a spreadsheet with just the championship game figures. All championship games were on ESPN, except the 2012 Boston College vs. Ferris State game, which was on ESPN2.

Sean
        Last edited by Sean Pickett; 04-07-2016, 11:32 AM.
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I would imagine that viewership is down in those years when the FF is up against the Masters.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            I would imagine that viewership is down in those years when the FF is up against the Masters.
            Isn't it always up against the masters?

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
              Isn't it always up against the masters?
              I believe it is. Some friends have entertained the idea of trying to get Masters tix when the F4 has been/is in Tampa for a Friday day trip.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I can guarantee it was not watched in WI.

I don't buy the Easter hypothesis. Casual fans aren't going to stumble onto women's hockey and stick because there's no other sports on. They will simply watch anything else.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  I can guarantee it was not watched in WI.

I don't buy the Easter hypothesis. Casual fans aren't going to stumble onto women's hockey and stick because there's no other sports on. They will simply watch anything else.
                  I'm thinking, "Oh, there's this game or Sunday tv drivel.....well at least this game is sports." That's all.

Comment

I'm thinking, "Oh, there's this game or Sunday tv drivel.....well at least this game is sports." That's all.
                    Poppycock. People don't channel surf and stop on women's college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      Poppycock. People don't channel surf and stop on women's college hockey.
                      I did, not this one but the Canada vs USA game on the NHL network.

Comment

Working...
                      X