Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ESPN sucks

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
    the average American knows there is professional hockey. other than the Stanley Cup it's not on the radar. college hockey isn't even in the room with the radar scope. they have a small but dedicated following. if the teams, the NCAA and ESPN want the sport to grow they must promote it.
    Why would they want the sport to grow? The NCAA doesn't want the competition to its March Madness Money Machine and ESPN doesn't care if the ratings are .2 or .5 they are still only doing it because they have to in order to get the only part of the contract they care about.

Comment

• Originally posted by komey1 View Post
      Here is my counter argument to not using Bucci and Melrose: They are the FACE of hockey on ESPN. If there is a hockey game being called by them, the casual viewer would consider it more important than if someone who knows the college game better but doesn't have the national exposure.
      There you go bringing logic to an Internet debate. Which names are more sellable to sponsors, John Buccigross & Barry Melrose or Clay Matvick & some other guy???
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Gary Thorne? I don't think he's necessarily available at the start of baseball season is he?
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          Why would they want the sport to grow? The NCAA doesn't want the competition to its March Madness Money Machine and ESPN doesn't care if the ratings are .2 or .5 they are still only doing it because they have to in order to get the only part of the contract they care about.
          which is what, chick hoops?

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            Barely heard about FF where I live when it was in Boston. Fairly active youth hockey and Jr hockey here. No marketing occured that I can remember. I didn't even attempt to go. It was way to expensive to consider and I wouldn't have been able to get the time off. I have watched on TV every time I can.

Marketing is all about making people want something they may not need. If I were to tell someone they could watch a car drive around in a circle 500 times who would be excited? They hype it and people live to watch folks drive around in circles. They have created the demand for sports that are like watching paint dry. The lack of effort is the reason it doesn't fly.
            Barely heard about FF where I live when it was in Boston.
            Bingo. I really got hooked on college hockey about 3 years ago and went to my first FF that year. The atmosphere in the Gahden was off the charts. Sat next to a family from Wisconsin that go every year. Watching (it s*cks to) BU lose and the way they lost was icing on the cake. Any mention in the media was almost a passing thought even with a team from Boston playing.
            A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Hmmm....you might be onto something. There have been rumors floating around for decades that Syracuse has repeatedly turned down offers to fund a D1 hockey program because it allegedly doesn't want any in-season revenue-producing competition for its hoops program.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Common sense: Everybody beeotching about the ESPN announcers will most definitely turn the volume off on their TV's tonight so they won't be annoyed. Kind of like being in the building at Amalie Arena... just watch the game. Be happy.

Actuality: Whaaaaaaat? Then there won't be anything to beeotch about.
                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Incorrect,

I complain about the announcers, but I am not going all 'NBC in 1980' on tonight's game
                  Last edited by billmich88888; 04-09-2016, 09:19 AM.

Comment

What would be nice if another network had the resources that could show nearly every game of the tournament live that is interested in hockey. NBC seems to have the interest in hockey, but would they commit two networks to a tournament that has low ratings. CBS does basketball, but if offered would they do college hockey? Would it be acceptable to have hockey NCAA tournament games on CBSSN? Fox Sports could put games on FS1 and FS2 - but has no hockey otherwise. They seem to be only logical alternative to ESPN should hockey be able to come up separate.
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
                      which is what, chick hoops?
                      It was posted earlier in this thread or another, but ESPN has the international broadcast rights to March Madness. Yes, they also broadcast the women's college hoops tournament but I don't know how profitable that is. As part of the contract the NCAA requires ESPN to broadcast almost every other NCAA championship. You think they broadcast NCAA bowling out of the goodness of their corporate heart?

Comment

Rather than turn the volume down, use the WatchESPN app to view the ice level broadcast. No announcers, limited commercials, ambient noise from the ice and lots from the bands and stands.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                          Rather than turn the volume down, use the WatchESPN app to view the ice level broadcast. No announcers, limited commercials, ambient noise from the ice and lots from the bands and stands.
                          I couldn't agree more. Definitely check this out if you haven't. It is definitely the best way to watch the games covered by ESPN.

Comment

It was posted earlier in this thread or another, but ESPN has the international broadcast rights to March Madness. Yes, they also broadcast the women's college hoops tournament but I don't know how profitable that is. As part of the contract the NCAA requires ESPN to broadcast almost every other NCAA championship. You think they broadcast NCAA bowling out of the goodness of their corporate heart?
                            The MBB and everybody else are two separate contracts. I wish they'd split out the bid for ice hockey but knowing some games will occur concurrently this is probably our best option out of bad options.
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              The MBB and everybody else are two separate contracts. I wish they'd split out the bid for ice hockey but knowing some games will occur concurrently this is probably our best option out of bad options.
                              The domestic rights are owned by CBS (Viacom?) but the NCAA packages the international broadcast rights with the rest of the NCAA sports. If they split out all the sports individually most other sports would go begging. No one is going to broadcast hockey, volleyball, bowling, softball and even the college World Series on a national basis if not contractually obligated to do so.

Comment

Women's Softball better not run late.
                                UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

Working...
                                X