PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Hobey Hat Trick

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

theprofromdover
04-06-2016, 05:58 AM
Were any of the freshman goalies under 21?

Muse was.

billmich88888
04-06-2016, 08:33 AM
Turco and Montoya were

SJHovey
04-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Were any of the freshman goalies under 21?Darren Jensen from UND was 19. Aaron Schweitzer was 18 (he was 17 when the season started.)

UML Puck Hawk
04-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Congrats to Jimmy Vesey

SJHovey
04-08-2016, 06:56 PM
So, Connor got Panzered?

Crimson on the Glass
04-08-2016, 07:04 PM
Wow! Well done Jimmy!

J.D.
04-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Connor had same points as eichel did last year. And vesey had a better junior year than senior year. *scratches head*

UMICH
04-08-2016, 08:01 PM
Congrats to Jimmy Vesey

Cogratulations Mr. Vesey.

Happy
04-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Connor had same points as eichel did last year. And vesey had a better junior year than senior year. *scratches head*

He played 4 years.

alnike
04-08-2016, 08:06 PM
He played 4 years.

I am sure he is deserving, but more deserving than the other two?
They made a deal with him last year, return to school and the award is yours. Voting ending before he spurned Nashville.

Happy
04-08-2016, 08:08 PM
They made a deal with him last year, return to school and the award is yours. Voting ending before he spurned Nashville.

The Hobey winner is not the best player.

alnike
04-08-2016, 08:15 PM
The Hobey winner is not the best player.

But Eichel was.

Ronnieb
04-08-2016, 08:16 PM
So what is the Hobey definition? The not quite best player in college hockey for that particular year :)

UMICH
04-08-2016, 08:24 PM

I say this as a Michigan fan, this does not shock me. While I of course wanted Connor to win if you look over the requirements for the award they picked the correct individual this year. The Hobey Baker Award is about more than just who has the best stats. It's true that in recent years it has been primarily about statistics but this year the voters had a chance to right the ship. That and have a winner from Harvard, that never happens. The kid had a decent year albeit
slightly down compared to last year but his off the ice presence iswhat won it fo him. The kid attends freaking Harvard, that's no school for dummies. He speaks fluent Mandarin. He also participates in many causes off the ice. He is the captain of his team. The guy just gets it.

Connor meanwhile kicked ***** on the ice this year but didn't do much else outside. The kid partcipated in "Mock Rock" this year when is a one-time vareity show which the hockey team has their freshman class enter every year. Sure all of the proceeds from "Mock Rock" go to charity but it isn't like it was his choice. "Mock Rock" is basically a simulation of SNL. I'm pretty sure that decision comes down from Coach Berenson as a way for the incoming Freshmen to form team bonding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM25FYyJKEM

He also grew a mustache (maybe) for Movember to bring awareness to Prostate Cancer. Basically said, he was more concerned about learning where his classes were. I'm not yelling at him, as a Freshman you're undergoing a lot of changes and not expected to be in a lot of causes. I guess I'm complaining more that Eichel won last year. I think the right person won this year even though I wanted Kyle Connor to win.

UMICH
04-08-2016, 08:31 PM
So what is the Hobey definition? The not quite best player in college hockey for that particular year :)

Yea, http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the-hobey-baker-memorial-award/criteria-selection-process

Happy
04-08-2016, 09:07 PM

It isn't anywhere in the description.

Patronick
04-08-2016, 09:11 PM
What's really funny about this argument is that both sides think they have a shot against Connor.

How you feeling?

northeastern
04-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Congratulations Harvard & Jimmy Vesey, well done.

Ronnieb
04-08-2016, 10:21 PM
Yea, http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the-hobey-baker-memorial-award/criteria-selection-process

Phew, glad we cleared that up. Sounds like the GOP convention rules :)

Skate79
04-09-2016, 09:35 AM

There are always going to be arguments made for the other two who didn't win. That is why they were nominated in the first place. Jimmy was a more complete player this year and if Harvard's D were more skilled, his numbers would have been better because he wouldn't have had to spend so much time in his own zone helping to clear the puck. He played a 200 foot game every time he suited up. I didn't see much of Connor or Demko. They are great players but I think the committee went with the most complete player of the three.