PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Hobey Hat Trick

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

SJHovey
04-01-2016, 12:49 PM
on average demko faced 29 shots per game

on average, against those earlier selected cupcakes, demko averaged 29 shots per game

try againSure. In one game, against Vermont, he faces 36 shots. But then it's 20 against Wisconsin, 20 against Mass, 21 against CC, 24 against CC, and these are teams that are behind, getting shutout, where statistics will show you that they will shoot from just about anywhere. C'mon, 6-0, 8-0, 5-0, 7-0 in these games. You're telling me he sitting back there like Chris Terreri in '85. Okay.

Dutchman
04-01-2016, 12:52 PM
The last time Demko made it to the F4 he gave up 5 goals. He was blasted high and low, close and far. He could not stop a beach ball if it were handed to him. He was flapping around like a fish out of water. Is he going to do better this time around? :D

J.D.
04-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Nick Ellis has a better save percentage and GAA than Demko and he wasn't a finalist for either the Richter or Hobey Baker. Oh wait, he doesn't play for a Boston school so he isn't that good.

Gartieg deserves to be a finalist but nope, he plays for Quinnipiac so he doesn't deserve it!

LOL at using GAA. Not sure where you're getting your stats but Demko and Ellis have the exact same save percentage. Garteig has a save percentage of .926, a pretty big difference from .936. Unless you meant he should have been a top 10 finalist and even then I'd disagree.

Nick Papagiorgio
04-01-2016, 01:13 PM
where statistics will show you that they will shoot from just about anywhere.

WHOA WHOA WHOA, hold on there. Are you telling me shot quality against, and thus save quality, may have to do with this? It would be a shame to ruin a bad argument with this door now open!

Stats matter, except when they don't.

J.D.
04-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Dutchman continues his obsession with BC. It really is fascinating.

theprofromdover
04-01-2016, 01:43 PM
Nick Ellis has a better save percentage and GAA than Demko and he wasn't a finalist for either the Richter or Hobey Baker. Oh wait, he doesn't play for a Boston school so he isn't that good. !

Nick Ellis couldn't beat our backup goalie. Literally.

J.D.
04-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Nick Ellis couldn't beat our backup goalie. Literally.

Backup to the backup! :D

Nick Papagiorgio
04-01-2016, 01:49 PM
nick ellis couldn't beat our backup goalie. Literally.

but but but but... Stats!

Slap Shot
04-01-2016, 05:49 PM
And again, if 10 shutouts in a season were easy you would see it a lot more regularly. What a terrible argument.

Just for clarity there was a goalie with 8 of them and two with 7 this season and since someone brought SOS 8 of his 10 were against Nobody. ;)

That said he's absolutely worthy of the award and I would not be surprised to see him win.

FireKnight
04-01-2016, 05:57 PM
I have only seen a half dozen or so of Vesey's games but he really didn't stand out to me on the ice. Connor, on the other hand, played well above his competition in the maybe 10 games I've seen him play. Demko isn't even the best goaltender in his conference and definitely not in the East. As much as I hate to see a BIG player benefit from the exposure, he's far and away the best of these 3.

Carmine Scarpaglia
04-01-2016, 06:17 PM
I have only seen a half dozen or so of Vesey's games but he really didn't stand out to me on the ice. Connor, on the other hand, played well above his competition in the maybe 10 games I've seen him play. Demko isn't even the best goaltender in his conference and definitely not in the East. As much as I hate to see a BIG player benefit from the exposure, he's far and away the best of these 3.

No offense but you are high as hell if you think there is a better goalie than Demko anywhere the country.

Slap Shot
04-01-2016, 06:29 PM
Really, high as hell? Well ok then...

FireKnight
04-01-2016, 06:43 PM
No offense but you are high as hell if you think there is a better goalie than Demko anywhere the country.

There are 2 with home rinks about 10 minutes from each other in Connecticut.

BC/HE
04-01-2016, 07:01 PM
Garteig had 8 with very similar GAA and save percentage but didn't sniff the top 10 for the HBA for a team that won 31 games.

Just for clarity there was a goalie with 8 of them and two with 7 this season and since someone brought SOS 8 of his 10 were against Nobody. ;)

That said he's absolutely worthy of the award and I would not be surprised to see him win.

You do realize 5/8 of those were against bottom 12 PWR including the 3 teams with the fewest wins this year Arizona State, Princeton and Brown. If you want to knock one you must knock the other as well. Also, should Demko do well in the FF he will move to first in save percentage.

The last time Demko made it to the F4 he gave up 5 goals. He was blasted high and low, close and far. He could not stop a beach ball if it were handed to him. He was flapping around like a fish out of water. Is he going to do better this time around? :D

The award is for this year not for cumulative stats. You do know Demko played injured that entire season and had surgery in the offseason before this year. There is not a goaltender out there that I would take over him now in college hockey.

The word "fact" referred to BC's play, as a team, against lesser opponents. It's my opinion, clearly, that Demko likely didn't have to work that hard in those games.

I've never said getting 10 shutouts in a season is easy, but it isn't going to win you the Hobey, either. Not when you finish 2nd and 7th in what most people consider to be the more significant goalie stats of save % and GAA. It's not like second place in shutouts was 2 or something.

Again he is second by .001 in save percentage. If you saw how BC played at times this year you would think it a miracle that he got shutouts at all. There were times this team looked terrible or just plain did not show up but yet still managed to win thanks in part to Demko.

There are 2 with home rinks about 10 minutes from each other in Connecticut.

Exactly as he said that sounds like hell to me.

J.D.
04-01-2016, 07:10 PM
Demko isn't even the best goaltender in his conference and definitely not in the East.

Good one, really. April fools...i like it.

Slap Shot
04-01-2016, 07:30 PM
BC/HE - the voting has already taken place (so FF results won't matter) and 8/10 for Demko were also against less than stellar competition per another poster.

Don't mistake that for saying he's not eorthy, but again some statements require context. :)

UMICH
04-01-2016, 09:20 PM
What's really funny about this argument is that both sides think they have a shot against Connor.

J.D.
04-01-2016, 09:53 PM
What's really funny about this argument is that both sides think they have a shot against Connor.

Ha, i am fully expecting connor to win this. I don't care if you're playing the little sisters of the poor or who your linemates are, what he did this year is more than deserving of the Hobey.

UMICH
04-02-2016, 02:47 AM
Ha, i am fully expecting connor to win this. I don't care if you're playing the little sisters of the poor or who your linemates are, what he did this year is more than deserving of the Hobey.

There is a small part of me that is concerned about Vesey. If the voters stick with the best player, as the winners have been the last several years, then Connor will win. If it reverts back to the old Hobey criteria then Vesey will win. That being said I want Connor to win. I think Connor will win (but I'm a bit biased).

FireKnight
04-02-2016, 09:09 AM
There is a small part of me that is concerned about Vesey. If the voters stick with the best player, as the winners have been the last several years, then Connor will win. If it reverts back to the old Hobey criteria then Vesey will win. That being said I want Connor to win. I think Connor will win (but I'm a bit biased).

I don't think they can go wrong with either if they look at the full criteria for the award. Connor seems to be a good off the ice person too. Maybe I just missed the games that Vesey was great but he never stood out in the games I watched. Recent winners like Eichel and Gaudreau really looked like men among boys on the ice when you watched them play. I didn't get that from Vesey but I did a bit from Connor.