PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Hobey Hat Trick

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

bothman
03-31-2016, 06:54 PM
If you discount Kyle Connor's numbers for the fact that everyone scored in the Big 10, be interesting to see how that compares.

I personally think Vesey or Demko will win. Too much "noise" in Connor's numbers.

claver2010
04-01-2016, 08:34 AM
There is nothing in the criteria about stats vs NCAA teams or number of games against NCAA teams which of course would favor players in hockey east. If you are going to use strength of schedule as an argument at least use the KRACH SOS.

no question, I'm just responding to the idea that demko buffered his numbers by playing soft competition. if anything, it's the exact opposite.

SJHovey
04-01-2016, 09:37 AM
If it's that easy against bad teams you'd see a lot more goalies with 10 shutouts.
Maybe, but I still think shutouts are largely a product of the team playing in front of you. Cam Johnson was crushing shutout numbers of previous UND goalies this year, but I don't think anyone who follows that team believes that he is basically the best goalie to ever play there. Fact is, BC did a very good job manhandling lesser competition and Demko probably didn't have to work real hard for most of those shutouts.

He had a great year, no doubt. I think the difficulty he will have in winning it is that a goalie really has to stand out against the other goaltenders in terms of numbers, and Demko didn't do that. Didn't even lead in save % or GAA, let alone dominate. You look at Ryan Miller's numbers, and he dominated the goalie competition. Had something like a .5 goals per game lead over the next candidate in GAA. Save percentage was something like .950 and everyone else was in the .92's. Demko doesn't have that.

He deserves his spot in the final 3, but I'll be shocked if he wins. My guess is Connor, but either he or Vesey are deserving.

The Zlax45
04-01-2016, 10:26 AM
You should be comparing Demko against Lyon, Johnson, Ellis, Boyle. Garteig. Not Connor. Those goalies have similar stats to Demko and some of them have played just as tough, if not tougher, schedules. Demko is a fantastic goalie, but has not distanced himself from the rest of the competition like Connor has.

Exactly and I think if PC and Lowell pushed as hard as BC does with the "marketing" of their goalies, Boyle or Ellis would get more attention.

Nick Papagiorgio
04-01-2016, 10:46 AM
Maybe, but I still think shutouts are largely a product of the team playing in front of you. Fact is, BC did a very good job manhandling lesser competition and Demko probably didn't have to work real hard for most of those shutouts.

No offense but you are way way way off. And don't know what a "fact" is. When you put "probably" in a sentence with "fact" it shows you have trouble grasping the concept.

And again, if 10 shutouts in a season were easy you would see it a lot more regularly. What a terrible argument.

Crimson on the Glass
04-01-2016, 10:53 AM
I personally think Vesey or Demko will win.
As if I need another reason to root against BC in April!

Tater
04-01-2016, 11:47 AM
If you discount Kyle Connor's numbers for the fact that everyone scored in the Big 10, be interesting to see how that compares.

I personally think Vesey or Demko will win. Too much "noise" in Connor's numbers.

Everyone scored in the Big 10?

Connor had 71 points. Take out Connor's linemates and the next highest scorer from the Big 10 is Minnesota's Justin Kloos at 43 points. That's quite the gap. I don't think "everyone scored in the Big 10" is a compelling argument.

sterlippo1
04-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Exactly and I think if PC and Lowell pushed as hard as BC does with the "marketing" of their goalies, Boyle or Ellis would get more attention.

marketing our goalies? we dont market anything for cripes sake. Another with an obsession with BC, relax, you got your NC last year

SCSU Euro
04-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Everyone scored in the Big 10?

Connor had 71 points. Take out Connor's linemates and the next highest scorer from the Big 10 is Minnesota's Justin Kloos at 43 points. That's quite the gap. I don't think "everyone scored in the Big 10" is a compelling argument.

I dont think that was his/her point. Its not that individuals scored but all the teams in the Big 10 were questionable defensively and the league as a whole was a poor defensive league.

SJHovey
04-01-2016, 12:05 PM
No offense but you are way way way off. And don't know what a "fact" is. When you put "probably" in a sentence with "fact" it shows you have trouble grasping the concept.

And again, if 10 shutouts in a season were easy you would see it a lot more regularly. What a terrible argument.The word "fact" referred to BC's play, as a team, against lesser opponents. It's my opinion, clearly, that Demko likely didn't have to work that hard in those games.

I've never said getting 10 shutouts in a season is easy, but it isn't going to win you the Hobey, either. Not when you finish 2nd and 7th in what most people consider to be the more significant goalie stats of save % and GAA. It's not like second place in shutouts was 2 or something.

J.D.
04-01-2016, 12:16 PM
marketing our goalies? we dont market anything for cripes sake. Another with an obsession with BC, relax, you got your NC last year

it's zlax we're talking about, doesn't know the difference between a hockey puck and a ring ding

Tater
04-01-2016, 12:22 PM
I dont think that was his/her point. Its not that individuals scored but all the teams in the Big 10 were questionable defensively and the league as a whole was a poor defensive league.

The stats don't bear that out though. We are talking about the best player, not team. When player 1 has 71 points and the next closest player 2 (outside of player 1's linemates) has 43 points, player 1 has convincingly separated himself from the rest of the pack and can be seen as the best player. The Big 10 aside from Michigan wasn't exactly a great offensive league either.

QUAlum2004
04-01-2016, 12:22 PM
The word "fact" referred to BC's play, as a team, against lesser opponents. It's my opinion, clearly, that Demko likely didn't have to work that hard in those games.

I've never said getting 10 shutouts in a season is easy, but it isn't going to win you the Hobey, either. Not when you finish 2nd and 7th in what most people consider to be the more significant goalie stats of save % and GAA. It's not like second place in shutouts was 2 or something.

Garteig had 8 with very similar GAA and save percentage but didn't sniff the top 10 for the HBA for a team that won 31 games.

claver2010
04-01-2016, 12:26 PM
The word "fact" referred to BC's play, as a team, against lesser opponents. It's my opinion, clearly, that Demko likely didn't have to work that hard in those games.

on average demko faced 29 shots per game

on average, against those earlier selected cupcakes, demko averaged 29 shots per game

try again

theprofromdover
04-01-2016, 12:26 PM

He's a UHN fan. He just trolls everywhere else.

Tater
04-01-2016, 12:31 PM
Garteig had 8 with very similar GAA and save percentage but didn't sniff the top 10 for the HBA for a team that won 31 games.

If QU was in a higher profile conference maybe Garteig would have had more exposure. If only there was an opening in one. ;) :D

SJHovey
04-01-2016, 12:32 PM
The stats don't bear that out though. We are talking about the best player, not team. When player 1 has 71 points and the next closest player 2 (outside of player 1's linemates) has 43 points, player 1 has convincingly separated himself from the rest of the pack and can be seen as the best player. The Big 10 aside from Michigan wasn't exactly a great offensive league either.The B1G was a terrible defensive league. They had four teams finish in the top 12 in offense, even though only one team made the tournament. However, their best defensive team was Minnesota, who finished something like 33rd defensively in the country. That's terrible.

Tater
04-01-2016, 12:34 PM
The B1G was a terrible defensive league. They had four teams finish in the top 12 in offense, even though only one team made the tournament. However, their best defensive team was Minnesota, who finished something like 33rd defensively in the country. That's terrible.

Never said it wasn't. I'm talking about individual accomplishments. Connor, with his point total, separated himself significantly from the rest of the players. That separation speaks to him as being the best player.

The Zlax45
04-01-2016, 12:40 PM
it's zlax we're talking about, doesn't know the difference between a hockey puck and a ring ding

Nick Ellis has a better save percentage and GAA than Demko and he wasn't a finalist for either the Richter or Hobey Baker. Oh wait, he doesn't play for a Boston school so he isn't that good.

Gartieg deserves to be a finalist but nope, he plays for Quinnipiac so he doesn't deserve it!

Nick Papagiorgio
04-01-2016, 12:43 PM
on average demko faced 29 shots per game

on average, against those earlier selected cupcakes, demko averaged 29 shots per game

try again

Whoa, FACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!