Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: frozen four attendance

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
    If you're looking for a destination with decent weather and things to do, LA (or Anaheim) should definitely be in consideration. With the success of the teams in the LA area and the college players that have helped make that success, they'd do better than the last time the FF was at the pond. Flights are easy and cheap, hotels are not horrible if you look toward Anaheim rather than the Staples Center (although they're still cheaper than Tampa). .
    Anaheim stunk. it was remote. No locals know we were there. Temperature never got above 60 and most days was 50-55ish. No thanks.
    Originally posted by mookie1995
    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

If you're looking for a destination with decent weather and things to do, LA (or Anaheim) should definitely be in consideration. With the success of the teams in the LA area and the college players that have helped make that success, they'd do better than the last time the FF was at the pond. Flights are easy and cheap, hotels are not horrible if you look toward Anaheim rather than the Staples Center (although they're still cheaper than Tampa). I also think San Jose would be a great host as they have become a "hockey town" but it's ridiculously expensive to get to.

It's really a shame that we can't market in the nation's largest city. MSG is probably too small for a FF now but they're hosting college hockey a couple of times per year now. I think the event would get lost in Manhattan though and the cost would be too much for most (although again, hotels near Amalie were every bit as expensive as midtown Manhattan). A FF in Brooklyn could be a possibility but you're away from the tourist attractions and that arena is an abomination of an NHL arena (fitting for the Asslanders).
      Madison Square Garden seats 18,006 more than the TD Garden in Boston does. It is a better venue for hockey than the Barclays Center and definitely should bid for the Frozen Four.
      QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
      2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
      2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
      2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
      https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
      https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
      https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
        Anaheim stunk. it was remote. No locals know we were there. Temperature never got above 60 and most days was 50-55ish. No thanks.
        This was pre both the Ducks and Kings winning the Stanley Cup and pre junior hockey gaining steam in Southern California. I could see Staples Center hosting down the road but I'd rather see some more western teams make the jump to D1 for it to happen.

2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Tournament

NCAA Frozen Four
        2013, 2016

Comment

If you're looking for a destination with decent weather and things to do, LA (or Anaheim) should definitely be in consideration. With the success of the teams in the LA area and the college players that have helped make that success, they'd do better than the last time the FF was at the pond. Flights are easy and cheap, hotels are not horrible if you look toward Anaheim rather than the Staples Center (although they're still cheaper than Tampa). I also think San Jose would be a great host as they have become a "hockey town" but it's ridiculously expensive to get to.

It's really a shame that we can't market in the nation's largest city. MSG is probably too small for a FF now but they're hosting college hockey a couple of times per year now. I think the event would get lost in Manhattan though and the cost would be too much for most (although again, hotels near Amalie were every bit as expensive as midtown Manhattan). A FF in Brooklyn could be a possibility but you're away from the tourist attractions and that arena is an abomination of an NHL arena (fitting for the Asslanders).
          When you have a location that is so extremely popular with tourists of all types, not specific event tourism, it can detract from the experience as the city isn't willing to make an effort in rolling out the welcome mat for the attendees. Anaheim is too much of a tourist destination all year round. Tampa, while still a big tourist destination, isn't as busy in early April because Spring Break has sprung already, and parents with younger children are still in school. It's a good time for the Frozen Four to be welcomed with open arms by the local businesses and residents that rely upon tourism for a large portion of their income.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
            If it went back to Southern California, it'd have to be Staples Center. Anaheim is way out of the way of everything other than Disneyland, it's hard to get to, not close to LAX, no public transportation, old arena - it's a terrible option.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              I like feeling confident in being able to drink tap water and not getting caught in the middle of a race riot.
              The tap water problem was in Flint. There has never been such a problem in Detroit. Now I was in Detroit over the Christmas Holidays. Went to. Lions game, the Quick Lane Bowl and the GLI. I didn't see any race riots. I've been there generally once or twice a year over the past decade and have never seen a race riot in downtown Detroit. Are you rattling your keyboard about something that happened decades ago? Like 49 years ago? And 73 years ago? When was the last time you visited downtown Detroit?
              Last edited by davyd83; 04-11-2016, 02:07 PM.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                If it went back to Southern California, it'd have to be Staples Center. Anaheim is way out of the way of everything other than Disneyland, it's hard to get to, not close to LAX, no public transportation, old arena - it's a terrible option.
                Why cant we go to Canada??? Quebec City or Montreal would be great sites

Comment

Originally posted by eddieshack23 View Post
                  Why cant we go to Canada??? Quebec City or Montreal would be great sites
                  NCAA...passports, logistics...pretty much a simple no

2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Tournament

NCAA Frozen Four
                  2013, 2016

Comment

I think The Pond would put on a much better show now but you are correct, it is out of the way. Although The Staples is central, I don't see it as a good college hockey atmosphere.

I understand why people are saying that it should be a rotation between a few cities but I like the idea of going different places. I don't think Tampa would have been a disaster without the UND fans. I've been to FF's without UND and they still bring a good compliment. Unless you had a team that really didn't bring a fan base (i.e. Yale), I think that Amalie would have been similarly full.

One place I never hear mentioned is Dallas. It's an easy flight, not a pricey city, and it has a decent NHL franchise. Does anyone know how the arena is and the area around it? I've never been there, so I can't really comment.
                    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
                    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
                    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
                    21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
                    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
                    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
                    12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
                    National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

I think The Pond would put on a much better show now but you are correct, it is out of the way. Although The Staples is central, I don't see it as a good college hockey atmosphere.

I understand why people are saying that it should be a rotation between a few cities but I like the idea of going different places. I don't think Tampa would have been a disaster without the UND fans. I've been to FF's without UND and they still bring a good compliment. Unless you had a team that really didn't bring a fan base (i.e. Yale), I think that Amalie would have been similarly full.

One place I never hear mentioned is Dallas. It's an easy flight, not a pricey city, and it has a decent NHL franchise. Does anyone know how the arena is and the area around it? I've never been there, so I can't really comment.
                      Never been there as well but google maps has it pretty close downtown. Looks to be surrounded by some restaurants and bars.

2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Tournament

NCAA Frozen Four
                      2013, 2016

Comment

I agree on Staples not being a great college atmosphere, but if they were going to consider SoCal, it'd be markedly better there overall than in Anaheim.

Dallas's arena is in a great part of the city, centrally located, stuff to do nearby. The problem is, it's not really a very collegiate city with no real local college teams, much less college hockey teams. Also, the Stars have good but not great support locally. It's an interesting idea, not sure it'd be a home run. The city did a nice job with the Final Four, especially considering the venue for that was in an absolutely HORRIBLE location.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          The tap water problem was in Flint. There has never been such a problem in Detroit. Now I was in Detroit over the Christmas Holidays. Went to. Lions game, the Quick Lane Bowl and the GLI. I didn't see any race riots. I've been there generally once or twice a year over the past decade and have never seen a race riot in downtown Detroit. Are you rattling your keyboard about something that happened decades ago? Like 49 years ago? And 73 years ago? When was the last time you visited downtown Detroit?
                          awesome that you mention 1943 - now that was a real race riot and not just an 'insurgence" like 1967 was

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                            NCAA...passports, logistics...pretty much a simple no
                            Research "international Bowl" and see what a logistical nightmare it was. and teams/fans would only have 2 weeks....er.... TEN DAYS to prep for this, unlike a bowl game and it's month lead time
                            Last edited by billmich88888; 04-11-2016, 03:05 PM.

Comment

My dream F4 is Havana
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
                                Research "international Bowl" and see what a logistical nightmare it was. and teams/fans would only have 2 weeks to prep for this, unlike a bowl game and it's month lead time
                                Well they do the Bahamas Bowl now?
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X