Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: why 2 tickets for thursday if

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
    I know many of us have been asking for a return to the split sessions for semi-final thursday. I don't know why they chose the starting times they did. 2-3 hours between games would be much better. Are they saying, here you go, separate tickets to each game. Enjoy yourselves in the parking lot. They never seem to get it right.
    Because a 2 pm ET start on a THURSDAY is just plain stupid. and very TV unfriendly

I've always advocated for a Friday-Sunday Frozen 4. and play the final in the afternoon if you want to get everybody out of town on Sunday night

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
      Because a 2 pm ET start on a THURSDAY is just plain stupid. and very TV unfriendly

I've always advocated for a Friday-Sunday Frozen 4. and play the final in the afternoon if you want to get everybody out of town on Sunday night
      They're not going to compete against 14 baseball games on a Sunday afternoon. Thursday, especially this early in the season, is generally an off-day for a good number of MLB teams and Saturdays are typically day games.

This year, on Thursday, the afternoon game competes against only 4 baseball games while the night game competes against only 2! On Saturday, surprisingly they're competing against 7 games.

The one thing that does surprise me is the NHL scheduling. I feel like in the past, the NHL has kept away from the NCAA games since they have scheduling flexibility to some extent. There are 13 NHL games on Thursday and 9 in direct competition on Saturday.

If they did a Friday/Sunday, the Friday games would compete against 2 and 7 baseball games respectively. The Sunday afternoon final would be competing against 14 games. However, with hockey, they'd be competing against very little. Only 1 NHL game on Friday (a barnburner of Buffalo and Columbus) and 2 on Sunday, both at night.

The one advantage the NCAA might see with that schedule ... the two teams that lose on Friday could be flown back on Saturday. Cheap flights!
      Last edited by FireKnight; 03-29-2016, 11:22 AM.
      Clarkson Golden Knights Men
      10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
      5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
      21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
      ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
      ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
      7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
      National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Unlike the NFL and to a certain extent,NBA. Regular season MLB is a local, not national, following.

Should college hockey care that the padres/Dodgers/mariners/diamondbacks/A's/giants/angels/astros/rangers/braves/royals/cardinals/cubs/whitesox/nationals/orioles/blue jays/rays/marlins are playing their 5th out of 162 games?

All teams listed above are in states with no college hockey teams (off the top of my head)

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
          They're not going to compete against 14 baseball games on a Sunday afternoon.
          I get all that. But, again, it's a pointless argument. You're talking about separate audiences. They're not "competing" against anyone. Last time I checked, there are 162 baseball games and the season ends in October (before playoffs). The FANS of the competing teams are not going to stay home because there is a baseball game on TV in the SECOND week of the season. They find more "excuses" to place these games at times that are inconvenient for those of us who GO. And don't tell me that the advertising revenue is affected because, as has been mentioned on here several times, this is a "throwaway." The games are only on anyway because of the agreement that ESPN signed with the NCAA.

Comment

So instead of 17 people watching Thursday at 2p, we push it back to 5p so 31 people will watch.

Mmmmkay
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

This.
              Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              So instead of 17 people watching Thursday at 2p, we push it back to 5p so 31 people will watch.

Mmmmkay

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                They're not going to compete against 14 baseball games on a Sunday afternoon. Thursday, especially this early in the season, is generally an off-day for a good number of MLB teams and Saturdays are typically day games.
                Even bigger than competing against baseball is that tiny golf tournament up the road in Augusta. That's the TV Monster that weekend.

Comment

I view this as good news. Means that for the first time in a long time you'll be able to leave between games. The food options at the concessions in Tampa were not good in 12.
                  Go Pioneers!

Comment

Working...
                  X