Hockey East: A New Big 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey East: A New Big 4?

For most of Hockey East's existence BU, BC, UNH and Maine have been considered the Big 4 by fans. However, in the last ten seasons Maine has finished as a top 4 seed only twice, the last time five seasons ago. New Hampshire has only finished as a top 4 seed once in the last 5 seasons, three seasons ago. Is it time to replace them in the Big 4? BC spent six straight seasons out of the top 4 in the mid-nineties but returned to form and have only missed a top 4 seed twice in the past 19 seasons. Will Maine and/or New Hampshire return to the top 4 like BC did?

Of the original Big 4 this past season was the first in 32 seasons that only 1 of them finished with a top 4 seed. Over the previous 32 seasons all 4 were a top 4 seed 4 times, 3 of the 4 were a top 4 seed 17 times and in the other 10 seasons 2 of the 4 were top 4 seeds. In the tournament BU and BC have each reached the semifinals 22 times, with Maine reaching the semifinals 19 times and UNH 17 times. However, Maine has only reached the semifinals twice in the past ten seasons, the last time in 2012. New Hampshire has been in the semifinals only three times in the past eight seasons.

So should either Maine or New Hampshire be replaced? Both replaced?

And who should replace them? UMass Lowell and Providence seem to have the best credentials: UML has been a top 4 seeded team the past five seasons; Providence the past four seasons. Overall PC has 15 top 4 seeds to UML's 11, but Providence has never been the top seed and have been the 2nd seed just twice, while UMass Lowell has 1 top seed and 5 2nd seeds. In the tournament UML has been better, with 17 semifinal appearances, 6 title games and 2 titles. PC trails with 14 semifinal appearances, 4 title games and 2 titles.

In my opinion UML should replace Maine in the Big 4, but I'm still not sure if UNH should be replaced just yet.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Sean
    Last edited by Sean Pickett; 02-24-2018, 12:00 AM.
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    For most of Hockey East's existence BU, BC, UNH and Maine have been considered the Big 4 by fans. However, in the last ten seasons Maine has finished as a top 4 seed only twice, the last time five seasons ago. New Hampshire has only finished as a top 4 seed once in the last 5 seasons, three seasons ago. Is it time to replace them in the Big 4? BC spent six straight seasons out of the top 4 in the mid-nineties but returned to form and have only missed a top 4 seed twice in the past 19 seasons. Will Maine and/or New Hampshire return to the top 4 like BC did?

Of the original Big 4 this past season was the first in 33 seasons that only 1 of them finished with a top 4 seed. Over the previous 32 seasons all 4 were a top 4 seed 4 times, 3 of the 4 were a top 4 seed 17 times and in the other 10 seasons 2 of the 4 were top 4 seeds. In the tournament BU and BC have each reached the semifinals 22 times, with Maine reaching the semifinals 19 times and UNH 17 times. However, Maine has only reached the semifinals twice in the past ten seasons, the last time in 2012. New Hampshire has been in the semifinals only three times in the past eight seasons.

And who should replace them? UMass Lowell and Providence seem to have the best credentials: UML has been a top 4 seeded team the past five seasons; Providence the past four seasons. Overall PC has 15 top 4 seeds to UML's 11, but Providence has never been the top seed and have been the 2nd seed just twice, while UMass Lowell has 1 top seed and 5 2nd seeds. In the tournament UML has been better, with 17 semifinal appearances, 6 title games and 2 titles. PC trails with 14 semifinal appearances, 4 title games and 2 titles.

In my opinion UML should replace Maine in the Big 4, but I'm still not sure if UNH should be replaced just yet.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Sean
    Maine is a bottom feeder now. Pretty simple. Lowell has a far better program now. I doubt Maine ever returns because money to fund a first rate program just isn't there nor do I see much of a chance of it in the future. I'm also not convinced Red is the guy. Next season should tell us as its his recruits now
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Re: Hockey East: A New Big 4?

Clearly BC, BU, UML, and PC are now the top teams in HE. It's fairly simple: good coaches and AD's develop/improve on successful programs and facilities, and thus good players want to play for them. Other teams may rise over the next few years, such as Northeastern, and other teams may fall, such as PC (losing many seniors). Time will tell.

Time will also tell if a storied program like Maine can recover, but with Red Gendron as their coach through 2019, I seriously doubt it.

Comment

Thoughts? Opinions?

Sean
        PC passed them a few years ago and has a NC, 'nuff said

Comment

yer overthinking it
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Yale and Harvard used to be the best football teams in the country too.

Parity is a good thing.

Next topic: Bell Bottoms, will they ever regain their appeal? Thoughts? opinions?

Comment

Not sure "Big 4" is the right way to think about it, as there's more than four quality programs in the league and not an enormous disparity between number 4 and 5, but it's clear the four recruiting the best, performing the best, and have the best facilities are BC, BU, UML, and PC.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Ya I'd say the response is why pick 4? And parity.

Comment

replace umo with quinnipiac or rpi or bentley or holy cross.

uhn is at least a close drive for a road game. they can stay.

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                    Next topic: Bell Bottoms, will they ever regain their appeal? Thoughts? opinions?
                    um, we now have yoga pants. nothing else is needed or will ever be needed again.

Comment

Hot take: BU is more likely to slip out of the so-called "top 4" than either PC or Lowell is. Quinn is a mediocre coach, and after a few years of underachieving despite having extremely talented rosters, he won't be able to sustain his recruiting success. Frankly, he lucked out with Eichel and that's the only reason the program isn't considered to be in a "rebuilding" stage right now.

Meanwhile, Leaman and Bazin continue to prove that they are elite coaches and can recruit top talent - and then actually develop it, too. I won't be surprised if, in a few years' time, we're talking about how Northeastern or UConn has displaced BU as a Hockey East top dog (I'm really happy all three of those teams have dog mascots).

*ducks*

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                        Hot take: BU is more likely to slip out of the so-called "top 4" than either PC or Lowell is. Quinn is a mediocre coach, and after a few years of underachieving despite having extremely talented rosters, he won't be able to sustain his recruiting success. Frankly, he lucked out with Eichel and that's the only reason the program isn't considered to be in a "rebuilding" stage right now.

Meanwhile, Leaman and Bazin continue to prove that they are elite coaches and can recruit top talent - and then actually develop it, too. I won't be surprised if, in a few years' time, we're talking about how Northeastern or UConn has displaced BU as a Hockey East top dog (I'm really happy all three of those teams have dog mascots).

*ducks*
                        having seen how long recruiting stays good for not so good coaches and not so good results... I think he'll have enough time to "learn on the job" because any real suffering begins.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

*ducks*
                          no, good point. GQ is insisting on bringing in 17 and 18yo kids and not going the pc/umlol route of 22yo fr. only jrrrrrry can win that way. lucia can't and GQ can't.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            no, good point. GQ is insisting on bringing in 17 and 18yo kids and not going the pc/umlol route of 22yo fr. only jrrrrrry can win that way. lucia can't and GQ can't.
                            harvard can't. ylae learned to go the sr circuit route

Comment

*ducks*
                              I was with you right up until the point where the letters get dark above in your post.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                              X