X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey East: A New Big 4?

We can do 11.

Hea can split into "haves" & "runts"

Haves-- BC BU PC NU MC have shown they aren't afraid to schedule ooc games on the road and can get teams to come to their barns.

Runts-- uhn Umass umlol uvm uconn umo already schedule ooc games against each other.

So the haves stay in a group and play everyone 2x (20 league games)
    The runts play everyone 2x but add an extra hea game with other runts (25 league games).

Playoff time there can be a play in runt game between r5&r6.

Then we have r1vh5, r2vh4, and so on best of 3.

Then a final five type for the garden finals with highest have seed getting a bye (because really, no runt team outside of umlol would ever be considered a potential top seed).

All set! Bibbity bobbity boo
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
      I doubt it as well, but in terms of what is more likely to happen to drop a current big 4 (if we must prescribe to the concept) member program out, I would say the addition of Quinnipiac is more likely than one of the bottom 7 teams having sustained success to knock someone out.
      You are probably right. BUT we also may have a few coaching changes. UMass needs one. Seems like a long shot but then again so did PC and UML. And UMass has some scoring, a high quality goal tender and a good coach could surprise teams. Unlikely, but again so was UML and PC. And if I was a betting man and I have to choose UMass being a top 4 team or BOTH UML and PC being top 4's I'd probably actually have bet on Umass.

That said, the top 4 will be the top 4 for the foreseeable future without major changes. Quinny could be that, UMass could hire Jerry York, North Dakota could defect and join HE, and Vermont could build a new state of the art arena and hire Martin St. Louis as coach. For now it's pretty set though.

And FWIW I think the idea of a "top 4" no longer has a place in HE. It's just not the same anymore.
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        We can do 11.

Haves-- BC BU PC NU MC have shown they aren't afraid to schedule ooc games on the road and can get teams to come to their barns.
        So schedule 4 away games against ECAC teams is all that's required to get you into the "HAVES." Or was it getting Bentley to come to Agganis that put BU in that category?
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Don't know much about Quinnipiac since they weren't an ECAC member when we played, but does anyone have a Reader's Digest explanation for how they got so good, so fast, and appear poised to maintain it?

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
            So schedule 4 away games against ECAC teams is all that's required to get you into the "HAVES." Or was it getting Bentley to come to Agganis that put BU in that category?
            However you do it.....

As long as BU never stoops to having to schedule umo 6 times in a regular season like the elephant walkers Mookie is good
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
              Don't know much about Quinnipiac since they weren't an ECAC member when we played, but does anyone have a Reader's Digest explanation for how they got so good, so fast, and appear poised to maintain it?
              Intense recruiting, great academic brand, great coach, strong financials
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

They are well coached and play a very disciplined system that players buy into. They recruit kids from all over the country and all parts of Canada. They have players on the roster from TX, MD, FL, CA, MN, MA, NJ, CO, NY, WI, IL, 6 players from British Columbia, 2 from Alberta and one from Ontario. They recruit players that fit into the system. They may not have to tons of NHL draft picks (only 2 on this years team) but they take good players and make them great college players. It helps when they don't have multiple early defections to the pros like other big schools have. Keeping a team in place for a long stretch has been a key. The Quinnipiac name is going to continue to be out there with 2 frozen fours in the last 4 years and 4 straight trips to the NCAA's. They have a pipeline in the BCHL from the late 90's as one of the early schools that started recruiting out there.
                QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  Intense recruiting, great academic brand, great coach, strong financials
                  Okay, so basically the things we're lacking.... The only one of those that surprises me somewhat, is "great academic brand." Didn't realize they had that going for them.

Comment

Okay, so basically the things we're lacking.... The only one of those that surprises me somewhat, is "great academic brand." Didn't realize they had that going for them.
                    Also some of the best facilities in the east doesn't hurt either.
                    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                    https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Yeah... Most of us know zilch about them but they're actually fairly selective
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Runts-- uhn Umass umlol uvm uconn umo already schedule ooc games against each other.
                        Lowell plays a single OOC game against Umass because they have a best 2 of 3 series for a trophy (don't laugh). I think most of us would prefer that be changed to a two game goal diff series a la PC/Brown. That way we just keep the 2 league games.

Besides, Lowell was the first Hockey East team to play a road game at AIC this season.

That's going "out west" isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          +1, Quinn hasn't done anything, he got a gold mine, PC and Lowell were bottom dwellers
                          Coach Quinn most definitely did not get a gold mine and a close look at the BU rosters will show that. As for UMass Lowell, yes they had a bad season immediately preceding his being hired, but the three seasons before that were 2 winning and one .500 season, far from a bottom dweller.

Sean
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

It's going to be interesting to see if QPac jumps to HEA. Would it really be in its long-term best interests to trade a sustainable dominant position in the ECAC in return for slugging it out in a league with several perennial national powers and where any team can beat any other on any given night?

On one hand, HEA offers better media coverage (especially TV) ergo better exposure and possibly more $$$. On the other, the ECAC, as currently structured, gives them an arguably easier path to the FF and the national exposure that comes with it. Plus there's the budding in-league neighborhood rivalry with Yale.

If it were my decision to make, I'd probably stay put.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

When your predecessor recruited Jack Eichel for you, yes, "Coach Quinn" got a gold mine. BU took their lumps in year one waiting for Eichel to show up. Those other programs didn't have a generational talent already on board.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                                It's going to be interesting to see if QPac jumps to HEA. Would it really be in its long-term best interests to trade a sustainable dominant position in the ECAC in return for slugging it out in a league with several perennial national powers and where any team can beat any other on any given night?

On one hand, HEA offers better media coverage (especially TV) ergo better exposure and possibly more $$$. On the other, the ECAC, as currently structured, gives them an arguably easier path to the FF and the national exposure that comes with it. Plus there's the budding in-league neighborhood rivalry with Yale.

If it were my decision to make, I'd probably stay put.
                                Ultimately I think QU will in fact stay put in the ECAC. I don't see a slam dunk program to add after that so I think Hockey East will be at 11 for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X