Special feature: Class of 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special feature: Class of 16

We just ran a special feature on the Class of 16. Olympians, three Kazmaier Award winners, and players who changed the face of the game

http://www.uscho.com/2016/03/24/outg...nged-the-game/
    "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Re: Special feature: Class of 16

I was thinking the superstar class next year may be not quite as deep as this year.

Comment

As a casual observer and a new poster I was curious, over recent years have we seen any players rise up from the ranks after recruitment to present as you call a "superstar"? Maybe because they were under the radar due to geography or club? Just curious, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by agfire View Post
        As a casual observer and a new poster I was curious, over recent years have we seen any players rise up from the ranks after recruitment to present as you call a "superstar"? Maybe because they were under the radar due to geography or club? Just curious, thanks.
        That's a good question. Love to hear some other ideas on this.

What about Amy Menke at UND, she's a little shy of superstar status probably, but does she come into this conversation?

Ivana Bilic, Bemidji State?
        Last edited by KTDC; 03-25-2016, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I believe Amy Menke was a U-18 national team and NDC player - not exactly an unknown.
          Last edited by HockeyEast33; 03-25-2016, 11:06 PM.

Comment

There is a guy that attends all the Gopher games who sees more youth hockey games than anyone I know. He travels all over the state and knows a lot of the players & their skills. I don't know if he posts here but the guy could easily scout because he has a good grasp of relative merits. He would have a good idea of girls that got overlooked or who 'over-achieved' . It is an interesting question because you know there are some kids that look one way at 15-16 and totally different at 19-20.

Comment

Does it seem that some coaches are better at grooming that type of raw talent? I know there are some coaches who have a leg up because they are able to recruit "the best" already. I think the real coaching challenge comes in developing those "diamonds in the rough". There are many girls out there that may be in the middle of the pack in the recruiting process that just need the right coach/environment to rise up.

Comment

I would say Bendus comes to mind. Sure she was a good recruit, but in her class there were many pegged ahead of her at the time (Johnston, Wakefield, Deluce, Knight, Snikeris, Irwin, Ryabkina, Gray, Birchard, Scanzano). Bendus is the one from her class that would go on to win the Kaz.
                Last edited by OnMAA; 03-29-2016, 12:57 PM.

Comment

I don't Hensley made a U18 team but I could be wrong. She's playing on the world tourney roster.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                    I would say Bendus comes to mind. Sure she was a good recruit, but in her class there were many pegged ahead of her at the time (Johnston, Wakefield, Deluce, Knight, Snikeris, Irwin, Ryabkina, Gray, Birchard, Scanzano). Bendus is the one from her class that would go on to win the Kaz.
                    That's kind of misleading, though, as she won a Kazmaier in a season when Johnston, Wakefield, Knight, and Irwin were away on national team duty. It isn't like Bendus had a better college career than any of those four.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      That's kind of misleading, though, as she won a Kazmaier in a season when Johnston, Wakefield, Knight, and Irwin were away on national team duty. It isn't like Bendus had a better college career than any of those four.
                      You are correct, and I knew that when I posted. But the min point was that compared to her standing at time of recruitment she is one of those that raised her stock significantly during her college career compared to many of her peers from the same class. Players from her class, Like Wakes, Knight, Johnston and Irwin, were all considered shoe in stars in the making from a young age and highly sought after blue chip prospects.
                      Last edited by OnMAA; 03-30-2016, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X