Midwest regional: Notre dame vs Umich, UND vs Northeastern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midwest regional: Notre dame vs Umich, UND vs Northeastern

3 days away from an awesome weekend of hockey! Thoughts, predictions, discuss😁

Re: Midwest regional: Notre dame vs Umich, UND vs Northeastern

I can't wait to watch NU & NoDak, but the 2pm game-time is killlllllling me.
    Who's able to watch that, really?
    GO NU!
    --------------------------------------------------
    2016 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS (no, srsly)

Comment

Would love to watch NU keep rolling in the early game and then kick back, relax, and enjoy the fight songs.
      2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
      2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

2pm is a tough time to have a hockey game. For viewing and playing I would think! Early weekend Friday??haha

Comment

NU is on a major roll, and North Dakota didn't really overwhelm in the NCHC final... That looks like an amazing game- if not for a horrible start to the season, there's no possible way NU is a 4 seed. So UND is, well, not exactly playing who they nominally will.

Our game is turning into a future B1G conference game. I'm quite pleased with how Michigan is playing, and haven't really paid attention to Notre Dame. From what I hear, they play a similar game to us, so at a minimum, it should be a blast to watch!

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

Our game is turning into a future B1G conference game. I'm quite pleased with how Michigan is playing, and haven't really paid attention to Notre Dame. From what I hear, they play a similar game to us, so at a minimum, it should be a blast to watch!
            Who knows? Notre Dame has been pretty much the cupcake on Lowell's schedule ever since they joined HE so my guess a team like Michigan should have no problem with them.
            Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
            Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
            Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

I really look forward to these three games. I think each first round game will be very different due to the respective offenses and defenses playing. All four teams average over 3 goals scored per game but UM is pushing 5 while UND is below 2 GA and UM is at 3.
              Team - GF/GP - GA/GP - GM/GP
              UND - 3.55 / 1.85 / 1.7
              NU - 3.3 / 2.48 / 0.82
              UM - 4.89 / 3.00 / 1.89
              ND - 3.14 / 2.31 / 0.83
              Looking at these numbers I would expect the first game to be lower scoring or at least a closer game and the second to be high scoring and less close game. I think a low scoring game for each plays to the lower seed.

UND has out scored opponents fairly evenly across periods whereas NU tends to do so in the 2nd and 3rd. My guess is this game's deciding moments will either be an insortmountable lead by UND in the first or a close game with NU staging a comeback / maintaining a tight lead in the 2nd or 3rd.

UM tends to win only when it scores 5+ goals (17-1-3) but fairs poorly when giving up the first goal and in close games. ND's strongest scoring period is the first (36-17) while UM's is the third (74-24). My guess is this game all depends on ND scoring first and keeping the game low scoring. If neither of these happen, I think UM will roll and there will be several goals between the two teams.
              Last edited by Khryx; 03-22-2016, 08:13 PM.

Comment

I'm so excited for this weekend. All these games should be great hockey. I dislike the 2 pm early game, because I was hoping to work a half day before driving to Cinci. While I could still do that and miss the 1st game, I'm not going to. UND vs. NU could be an exciting game.
                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by thebleedenator View Post
                  People like me that are working an hour OT each day so I can get out early on Friday

In years past, simply used a vacation day
                  #priorities

Comment

Originally posted by Khryx View Post
                    I really look forward to these three games. I think each first round game will be very different due to the respective offenses and defenses playing. All four teams average over 3 goals scored per game but UM is pushing 5 while UND is below 2 GA and UM is at 3.
                    Team - GF/GP - GA/GP - GM/GP
                    UND - 3.55 / 1.85 / 1.7
                    NU - 3.3 / 2.48 / 0.82
                    UM - 4.89 / 3.00 / 1.89
                    ND - 3.14 / 2.31 / 0.83
                    Looking at these numbers I would expect the first game to be lower scoring or at least a closer game and the second to be high scoring and less close game. I think a low scoring game for each plays to the lower seed.

UND has out scored opponents fairly evenly across periods whereas NU tends to do so in the 2nd and 3rd. My guess is this game's deciding moments will either be an insortmountable lead by UND in the first or a close game with NU staging a comeback / maintaining a tight lead in the 2nd or 3rd.

UM tends to win only when it scores 5+ goals (17-1-3) but fairs poorly when giving up the first goal and in close games. ND's strongest scoring period is the first (36-17) while UM's is the third (74-24). My guess is this game all depends on ND scoring first and keeping the game low scoring. If neither of these happen, I think UM will roll and there will be several goals between the two teams.
                    NU since New Year's has been much better.. 4.14 GF vs. 1.95 GA

Given that I believe there has been a true turn around since 2015, I think the true talent for NU is currently somewhere in between the numbers I quoted and the numbers you quoted.

Comment

Originally posted by njdevscup30 View Post
                      NU since New Year's has been much better.. 4.14 GF vs. 1.95 GA

Given that I believe there has been a true turn around since 2015, I think the true talent for NU is currently somewhere in between the numbers I quoted and the numbers you quoted.
                      Most definitely and I was hoping others would share more details like this as I knew NU had been playing better hockey in 2016 but didn't have stats immediately handy.

Comment

I know you guys are not "regulars" at the party, but this is the way it is in all sports. How many people were "able" to watch the NCAA basketball first-round games at Noon (3,000 miles away)? You have to make the commitment to either go, or take the time off and watch. The hard-core fans plan their schedules around this stuff. This is the highlight of their year.

Comment

Originally posted by Khryx View Post
                          Most definitely and I was hoping others would share more details like this as I knew NU had been playing better hockey in 2016 but didn't have stats immediately handy.
                          New season. Stats are irrelevant now. Clean slate. Go Sioux!!!!
                          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            I know you guys are not "regulars" at the party, but this is the way it is in all sports. How many people were "able" to watch the NCAA basketball first-round games at Noon (3,000 miles away)? You have to make the commitment to either go, or take the time off and watch. The hard-core fans plan their schedules around this stuff. This is the highlight of their year.
                            North Dakota Hockey is like E.F. Hutton: When North Dakota plays, people watch.

Comment

The last time Notre Dame had a controversy at its commencement, Bemidji State beat them. Plus, they're playing on Good Friday. I'm betting St. Patrick's Cathedral on Michigan.
                              Last edited by joecct; 03-24-2016, 06:59 AM.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X