PDA

View Full Version : Midwest regional: Notre dame vs Umich, UND vs Northeastern

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

MFhockey
03-22-2016, 06:05 PM
3 days away from an awesome weekend of hockey! Thoughts, predictions, discuss😁

thebleedenator
03-22-2016, 06:09 PM
I can't wait to watch NU & NoDak, but the 2pm game-time is killlllllling me.
Who's able to watch that, really?:mad:

Thiessen'sBetter
03-22-2016, 06:41 PM
Would love to watch NU keep rolling in the early game and then kick back, relax, and enjoy the fight songs.

MFhockey
03-22-2016, 07:13 PM
2pm is a tough time to have a hockey game. For viewing and playing I would think! Early weekend Friday??haha

alfablue
03-22-2016, 07:27 PM
NU is on a major roll, and North Dakota didn't really overwhelm in the NCHC final... That looks like an amazing game- if not for a horrible start to the season, there's no possible way NU is a 4 seed. So UND is, well, not exactly playing who they nominally will.

Our game is turning into a future B1G conference game. I'm quite pleased with how Michigan is playing, and haven't really paid attention to Notre Dame. From what I hear, they play a similar game to us, so at a minimum, it should be a blast to watch!

riverchief1
03-22-2016, 07:29 PM
Our game is turning into a future B1G conference game. I'm quite pleased with how Michigan is playing, and haven't really paid attention to Notre Dame. From what I hear, they play a similar game to us, so at a minimum, it should be a blast to watch!

Who knows? Notre Dame has been pretty much the cupcake on Lowell's schedule ever since they joined HE so my guess a team like Michigan should have no problem with them.

Khryx
03-22-2016, 08:04 PM
I really look forward to these three games. I think each first round game will be very different due to the respective offenses and defenses playing. All four teams average over 3 goals scored per game but UM is pushing 5 while UND is below 2 GA and UM is at 3.
Team - GF/GP - GA/GP - GM/GP
UND - 3.55 / 1.85 / 1.7
NU - 3.3 / 2.48 / 0.82
UM - 4.89 / 3.00 / 1.89
ND - 3.14 / 2.31 / 0.83
Looking at these numbers I would expect the first game to be lower scoring or at least a closer game and the second to be high scoring and less close game. I think a low scoring game for each plays to the lower seed.

UND has out scored opponents fairly evenly across periods whereas NU tends to do so in the 2nd and 3rd. My guess is this game's deciding moments will either be an insortmountable lead by UND in the first or a close game with NU staging a comeback / maintaining a tight lead in the 2nd or 3rd.

UM tends to win only when it scores 5+ goals (17-1-3) but fairs poorly when giving up the first goal and in close games. ND's strongest scoring period is the first (36-17) while UM's is the third (74-24). My guess is this game all depends on ND scoring first and keeping the game low scoring. If neither of these happen, I think UM will roll and there will be several goals between the two teams.

wolverineTrumpet
03-23-2016, 08:58 AM
I'm so excited for this weekend. All these games should be great hockey. I dislike the 2 pm early game, because I was hoping to work a half day before driving to Cinci. While I could still do that and miss the 1st game, I'm not going to. UND vs. NU could be an exciting game.

billmich88888
03-23-2016, 09:02 AM

People like me that are working an hour OT each day so I can get out early on Friday

In years past, simply used a vacation day
#priorities

njdevscup30
03-23-2016, 09:25 AM
I really look forward to these three games. I think each first round game will be very different due to the respective offenses and defenses playing. All four teams average over 3 goals scored per game but UM is pushing 5 while UND is below 2 GA and UM is at 3.
Team - GF/GP - GA/GP - GM/GP
UND - 3.55 / 1.85 / 1.7
NU - 3.3 / 2.48 / 0.82
UM - 4.89 / 3.00 / 1.89
ND - 3.14 / 2.31 / 0.83
Looking at these numbers I would expect the first game to be lower scoring or at least a closer game and the second to be high scoring and less close game. I think a low scoring game for each plays to the lower seed.

UND has out scored opponents fairly evenly across periods whereas NU tends to do so in the 2nd and 3rd. My guess is this game's deciding moments will either be an insortmountable lead by UND in the first or a close game with NU staging a comeback / maintaining a tight lead in the 2nd or 3rd.

UM tends to win only when it scores 5+ goals (17-1-3) but fairs poorly when giving up the first goal and in close games. ND's strongest scoring period is the first (36-17) while UM's is the third (74-24). My guess is this game all depends on ND scoring first and keeping the game low scoring. If neither of these happen, I think UM will roll and there will be several goals between the two teams.

NU since New Year's has been much better.. 4.14 GF vs. 1.95 GA

Given that I believe there has been a true turn around since 2015, I think the true talent for NU is currently somewhere in between the numbers I quoted and the numbers you quoted.

Khryx
03-23-2016, 06:18 PM
NU since New Year's has been much better.. 4.14 GF vs. 1.95 GA

Given that I believe there has been a true turn around since 2015, I think the true talent for NU is currently somewhere in between the numbers I quoted and the numbers you quoted.

Most definitely and I was hoping others would share more details like this as I knew NU had been playing better hockey in 2016 but didn't have stats immediately handy.

chickod
03-23-2016, 10:41 PM

I know you guys are not "regulars" at the party, but this is the way it is in all sports. How many people were "able" to watch the NCAA basketball first-round games at Noon (3,000 miles away)? You have to make the commitment to either go, or take the time off and watch. The hard-core fans plan their schedules around this stuff. This is the highlight of their year.

icehawk
03-23-2016, 11:02 PM
Most definitely and I was hoping others would share more details like this as I knew NU had been playing better hockey in 2016 but didn't have stats immediately handy.

New season. Stats are irrelevant now. Clean slate. Go Sioux!!!!

burd
03-24-2016, 06:39 AM

I know you guys are not "regulars" at the party, but this is the way it is in all sports. How many people were "able" to watch the NCAA basketball first-round games at Noon (3,000 miles away)? You have to make the commitment to either go, or take the time off and watch. The hard-core fans plan their schedules around this stuff. This is the highlight of their year.

North Dakota Hockey is like E.F. Hutton: When North Dakota plays, people watch.

joecct
03-24-2016, 06:57 AM
The last time Notre Dame had a controversy at its commencement, Bemidji State beat them. Plus, they're playing on Good Friday. I'm betting St. Patrick's Cathedral on Michigan.

manurespreader
03-24-2016, 08:09 AM
NU is on a major roll, and North Dakota didn't really overwhelm in the NCHC final... That looks like an amazing game- if not for a horrible start to the season, there's no possible way NU is a 4 seed. So UND is, well, not exactly playing who they nominally will.

No ND plays like BGSU. Not like you at all. But they can score if you're not careful. And they are used to a bigger sheet than you have.

Rhett Hot
03-24-2016, 08:38 AM
New season. Stats are irrelevant now. Clean slate. Go Sioux!!!!

What's a "Sioux"?

:p

alfablue
03-24-2016, 09:22 AM
No ND plays like BGSU. Not like you at all. But they can score if you're not careful. And they are used to a bigger sheet than you have.

Two things-

First, being that the regional is a NHL sized rink, I'm not sure how that matters.

Second, isn't the sheet that Notre Dame plays on NHL sized? The other rink is Olympic and use for more stuff at Compton.

thebleedenator
03-24-2016, 09:50 AM

I took off last Friday for my bachelor party to go to the HE Tournament. And I'm taking two weeks for the honeymoon in June. So I Don't exactly have the extra time to take. I'll be taking a late & long lunch but probably have to watch the second half of the game at my desk. Had it worked out differently, I'd be driving to Cincy from DC tonight. Sorry I'm not as "Hard-core" as you and that I don't have a job flipping patties at UBurger :rolleyes:.

HHound
03-24-2016, 09:53 AM
North Dakota Hockey is like E.F. Hutton: When North Dakota plays, people watch.

IIRC, E.F. Hutton went broke and had to be rescued. Will the "Fighting Predators" become the prey?;)