Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Notre Dame leaves Hockey East for Big 10

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Neither are an athletic institution like Wisconsin. UW has far more resources. They made the coaching decision that was necessary and overdue. I don't expect that program to be down long.
    Yeah, well you are probably the biggest homer on these boards, so pardon me if I don't take your statement at face value. I know you are super thirsty for the Little Six teams to start winning some non-conference games, but the "resources" haven't been doing your teams much good the past few years. A coaching change doesn't guarantee the program is going to turn around. Ex. Tom Anastos.
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      Wait... he's a Vermont fan?

That makes my day.
      I feel like I should warn Western fans about jcarter like I should warn Eastern fans about Dirty. And then I don't because it's fun.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
      -Blackadder
      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
      -Casablanca
      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
        I feel like I should warn Western fans about jcarter like I should warn Eastern fans about Dirty. And then I don't because it's fun.
        Oh yeah?
        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          It wouldn't do any good...
          Originally posted by Hokydad
          Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
            How will you deal with 7 teams for playoffs if you are stuck with that for another year.
            #1 seed gets a bye and the other 6 teams play in the "quarterfinal" round.

This actually gives the B1G an opportunity to maybe move to best-of-three in that hexafinal round. Finishing first in the regular season would be a big prize since you'd get to skip the best-of-three round altogether.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
              Yeah, well you are probably the biggest homer on these boards, so pardon me if I don't take your statement at face value. I know you are super thirsty for the Little Six teams to start winning some non-conference games, but the "resources" haven't been doing your teams much good the past few years. A coaching change doesn't guarantee the program is going to turn around. Ex. Tom Anastos.
              I'm a Wisconsin homer? Who knew!

Gophers have been doing just fine. Two Frozen Fours and a national championship game in the last 5 years. I'll take that any day.

Get your shots in now, because I think deep down you know there is no way the B1G stays down long. And that's not me suggesting they will be a conference head and shoulders above everyone else, but they certainly won't be a bottom feeder for long. They are already taking steps to rectify the issues and have the resources to do so.
              Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 03-24-2016, 01:42 PM.
              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post

This actually gives the B1G an opportunity to maybe move to best-of-three in that hexafinal round. Finishing first in the regular season would be a big prize since you'd get to skip the best-of-three round altogether.
                Agreed. I really don't see a problem with a 7 team conference. Look at this season's conference schedule, and there were only a couple weekends when all 6 teams were playing anyway, so I don't think the bye is as big an issue as some are making it out to be, other than someone draws the short straw on the final weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstate95 View Post
                  While I agree Notre Dame makes good sense in the Big Ten, I'm also confused about this misguided UConn venom in regard to its academics. Just look at the US News rankings of top public universities. UConn at No. 19 in the nation would rank No. 6 among the current 14-school Big Ten membership (behind Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Ohio State). Maryland is tied for No. 19. No one else in the Big Ten is in the top 20; a few are outside the top 40. There are plenty of AAU schools in all leagues that entered that invitation-only club as far back as 1900, when research measurables were quite different -- and if you stacked UConn's standard quality metrics against them today, UConn easily would rank in the 50th percentile of AAU schools. Plus, find me another university where the state has announced a $2B investment into STEM at its flagship school. You have a right to not like UConn, but the false disparaging of its academic profile makes no sense.
                  Thank you. Saved me the trouble. Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                    ?? No one really wanted them when they joined the league. Those who did regretted it after watching the first game with those hideous helmets out there on the ice. After that the fans left the forums because us HE fans were to mean, I mean I did offer them tissues....

Whats worse we brought in UConn because of them... and now we are still stuck with the UConn fans. Butt hurt...no. Today reading this has been one of the best days this year for me. Except the reminder we still have UConn.
                    And the UConn fans have been obnoxious and outspoken, is that it? Hehehe, don't think so. Watch what happens when UConn starts winning and then make your criticism. Might happen in a couple years and then you will get your chance. Winning brings all sorts of folks who know it all onto message boards. The rest of us true fans who remember what it was like will just step back and let them go at it.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                      And the UConn fans have been obnoxious and outspoken, is that it? Hehehe, don't think so. Watch what happens when UConn starts winning and then make your criticism. Might happen in a couple years and then you will get your chance. Winning brings all sorts of folks who know it all onto message boards. The rest of us true fans who remember what it was like will just step back and let them go at it.
                      I think we got a taste of that early into the season last year when your team had some nice upset wins. I recall someone going by Husky Fan Dan had quite a bit to say to the BC fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                        This is stunning given the long bad blood between the conference and ND. This could open a door for them to join in all sports.

ASU will obviously join to make it 8.
                        Stunning? Only after you erase the $$$

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post

but that team also loses out on 2 games that could help their record/rpi/seeding..etc

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                            Watch what happens when UConn starts winning
                            Gonna be a while before that happens consistently. Let me know if it happens before I die.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                              I think we got a taste of that early into the season last year when your team had some nice upset wins. I recall someone going by Husky Fan Dan had quite a bit to say to the BC fans.
                              HFD is drunk like 23 hours out of the day. And isn't even a Yukon grad!
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                                It wouldn't do any good...
                                Pretty much.

I'm glad Hoky needs no introduction.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                                -Blackadder
                                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                                -Casablanca
                                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X