• Re: Notre Dame leaves Hockey East for Big 10

I don't think JHU gets CIC access.

Edit. Misread that. Hasn't heard of the CRC
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I don't think JHU gets CIC access.

Edit. Misread that. Hasn't heard of the CRC
      I also made a edit.
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        UN-Lincoln got the boot from AAU because too much of their research was non-competitive grants is what I'd read. This is the first (and only) place I've seen the med school claim as the issue.
        There seems to be a fair amount of misunderstanding and misinformation on this site in discussing UNL's departure from the AAU as it pertains to their medical school facilities and grant allocations. I would not use the term, "non-competitive" which implies that formula driven grants are not subject to a federally funded review process.

Harvey Perlman, Nebraska's chancellor, said after AAU rescinded UNL's membership that Nebraska was at a particular disadvantage because of their lack of an "on-campus" medical school.

A medical school both improves an institution's absolute number of research dollars and improves its score on the ratio of research output to tenure-track faculty, since medical schools often rely heavily on researchers who are not tenure-track faculty. So even though other AAU members, such as Cornell and Penn St. for example, lack medical schools on their main campuses, Nebraska's medical school is different from an AAU perspective because it is under a totally separate administrative structure from the Lincoln campus (Omaha). As a result, its peer reviewed research grants allocated for medical research were subsequently "not counted" by the AAU's quantitative research design used to normalize it's rankings.

Secondly, as I mentioned before in an earlier post, Nebraska was hurt in the AAU rankings by the normalization process that determines per-faculty research rewards by dividing total research dollars by the number of faculty members at an institution. Since UNL is by and large a land based grant institution most of their federally funded grants are earmarked or formulated for Ag research, NOT peer reviewed, which are "not counted" or normalized by the AAU metric either.

IMO the AAU is myopic in their overemphasis on STEM research at the expense of USDA grants at Ag schools like UNL. For Nebraska, that meant total research dollars were divided by a significant portion of faculty devoted to agricultural research which resulted in a lower metric score that eventually led to UNL's dismissal by 2 votes.
        Last edited by SteveO; 03-23-2016, 05:34 PM.

Comment

I feel like that was a good trade for all involved and cancer patients. Especially when JHU is a behemoth for research. They spend about a billion more than the next school.
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I feel like that was a good trade for all involved and cancer patients. Especially when JHU is a behemoth for research. They spend about a billion more than the next school.
            Agreed, John Hopkins is on the top of the mountain in research $$$. What do you mean "good trade"?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Will this start the Eastern equivalent of the Great Western Schism?
              1056: Great Western Schism (Constantinople goes it alone...)

2017: Great Western Schism II (Notre Dame faces east no longer...)

Comment

They get to play under the big ten banner, humanity gets that much closer to a cure for cancer.
                Code:

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                  I'm curious what makes HC a better fit for ECAC than RIT?
                  Originally posted by Ivan Lennon View Post
                  RIT ticks all the boxes: arena, culturally/philosophically, rabid students, Liberty League, etc
                  HC has advantages of geography and perhaps snob appeal

From RIT perspective however it would be no more NCAA tourney w/ an anemic Pairwise
                  Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                  I'm admittedly biased but I think RIT brings so much more to the table for ECAC than HC does, that a slight change in travel plans is probably worth it.
                  Holy Cross is a Patriot League school which is a direct match to Colgate and the Patriot League and Ivy League often pair together for football and basketball, similar academics. It's also a full D-I school and not a D-III playup. Geographically, if Quinnipiac leaves, Yale and Princeton get paired together, Brown and Dartmouth get paired together, and Harvard and Holy Cross get paired together (among other combos).

As for RIT, they are a better hockey program with a better fan base, but hockey considerations aren't going to be a driving factor for the ECAC I think. They do have conference history with other Liberty League schools of the historical D-III playups. If RIT joins - - - who do you pair them up with? Split up Cornell and Colgate? A Princeton to Rochester trip? They made slightly more sense when RPI was in the Hockey East talk back before UConn joined but that's a major change to the schedule and adds a western NY road trip for all of the eastern teams.

Of course I'm admittedly biased and want the Ivies to leave the ECAC all together so...
                  Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                  Go Crimson!

Comment

they get to play under the big ten banner, humanity gets that much closer to a cure for cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                      Imagine North Dakota joining.
                      Although I never thought ND would join as it seemed there were too many hurdles - even though now in hindsight it seems almost obvious? - and perhaps just as naively I don't think it will ever happen with UND - heads would splode.

^I know that was terribly constructed, but dammit I'm tired. -

Comment

So Notre Dame couldn't win in Hockey East so they will move to an easier league hoping to get to the top there.....good luck

Now Hockey East can wait and see what school as the guts to step up to first class hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by satking View Post
                          So Notre Dame couldn't win in Hockey East so they will move to an easier league hoping to get to the top there.....good luck

Now Hockey East can wait and see what school as the guts to step up to first class hockey
                          They finished 3rd in Hockey East. Let's stop being stupid and pretending they made the move for those reasons.
                          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                            They finished 3rd in Hockey East. Let's stop being stupid and pretending they made the move for those reasons.
                            Funny you mention that. I saw this in a USCHO article today.

"Despite Notre Dame’s high standing in the Hockey East ranks this year, the placement is deceptive. The Irish were 3-8-6 (a .353 winning percentage) against teams that made the tournament this year, including 3-7-2 against Hockey East teams who made the tournament. The Irish might have their hands full against Michigan in Cincinnati on Friday night."

http://www.uscho.com/2016/03/23/numb...#ixzz43luDE6uZ

Comment

You people have too much free time.

ND leaving. Thank the hockey gods. Don't belong I'm HEA anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                                Funny you mention that. I saw this in a USCHO article today.

"Despite Notre Dame’s high standing in the Hockey East ranks this year, the placement is deceptive. The Irish were 3-8-6 (a .353 winning percentage) against teams that made the tournament this year, including 3-7-2 against Hockey East teams who made the tournament. The Irish might have their hands full against Michigan in Cincinnati on Friday night."

http://www.uscho.com/2016/03/23/numb...#ixzz43luDE6uZ
                                I'd imagine they're not the only team to not light it up against other tourney teams if said struggles still allowed them 3rd in the conference.

Comment

Working...
                                X