Notre Dame leaves Hockey East for Big 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    The NFL, IOC, FIFA and the entire NCAA would like to have a word with you...
    Those are some extremely self-satisfied institutions, but I still believe what I wrote...
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: Notre Dame leaves Hockey East for Big 10

Regarding the Big Ten and "no affiliates", clearly those days are over (see Hopkins lacrosse and now NDU hockey).

What is nearly as stunning to me is the guys who broke the story went on to muse this (regarding an eighth B1G Hockey member):

An NCHC team might fit in the Big Ten
      But if the league does try to add one more team, would a school like Omaha or Denver or North Dakota fit better into the Big Ten’s future? Perhaps.

Now that the door has been opened for affiliate membership in the Big Ten, any number of schools could make a case for being a good fit. But NCHC schools might form the most likely group from which the Big Ten would pick.

From a fan standpoint, schools could stand to gain in attendance from resuming more regular series against teams their followers knew for years before the conference split.

North Dakota would be a coup for the Big Ten in terms of answering some of the loudest fan complaints and putting back together the league rivalries with Minnesota and Wisconsin, but we’re getting way ahead of ourselves here.
      Source: http://www.uscho.com/from-the-press-...#ixzz43lBIS3tH

Now that the affiliate genie is out of the B1G bottle, would the AAU mindset for affiliates be the next to fall? There aren't that many hockey playing AAU schools out there that would add fan interest in (empty) Kohl and Mariucci.

And I'm stunned USCHO said something that complimentary about North Dakota.
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        Regarding the Big Ten and "no affiliates", clearly those days are over (see Hopkins lacrosse and now NDU hockey).
        The National Defense University?

Comment

Originally posted by tape View Post
          The National Defense University?
          In my world "UND" is the University of North Dakota and "NDU" is Our Lady of South Bend.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I'd like to point out the Lowell Sun article from 2011 or thereabouts that talked about Notre Dame joining Hockey East was going to prevent UML, NU, MC, UMASS and PC from ever succeeding in Hockey East.

Gee.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
            -Blackadder
            "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
            -Casablanca
            "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
            -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Glad to see them go even though Lowell had no problem betting the team with the gaudy helmets.
              What did you say?
              Who own the Chiefs?
              What did he say?
              Owns! Owns!

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                my guess is dooley or fdny
                Not me..I have 1 screen name here.

Comment

What is nearly as stunning to me is the guys who broke the story went on to muse this (regarding an eighth B1G Hockey member):

Source: http://www.uscho.com/from-the-press-...#ixzz43lBIS3tH

Now that the affiliate genie is out of the B1G bottle, would the AAU mindset for affiliates be the next to fall? There aren't that many hockey playing AAU schools out there that would add fan interest in (empty) Kohl and Mariucci.

And I'm stunned USCHO said something that complimentary about North Dakota.
                  Personally I think the 8th will be Omaha. The Nebraska University system will be used as a whole to get AAU recognition or at least the semblance of it back for Nebraska when their medical school was deemed part of Omaha not Lincoln. Nebraska initially got into the B1G because they had AAU status. This could save face for Nebraska. This could be a way around AAU affiliate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                    I'd like to point out the Lowell Sun article from 2011 or thereabouts that talked about Notre Dame joining Hockey East was going to prevent UML, NU, MC, UMASS and PC from ever succeeding in Hockey East.

Gee.
                    Chaz Scoggins?
                    BS UMass Lowell 2015
                    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                      Chaz Scoggins?
                      Possibly. But it's probably it was the guy who was saying that the Computers Screwed UML!!!1!111!! from last year.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                      -Blackadder
                      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                      -Casablanca
                      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Ummm
                        They were getting that 1/2 billion anyhows, yes?

The $20mm is new.
                        Rutgers went from around $400 million per year for 2010, 2011, and 2012. 2013 saw an uptick to $490 million. In 2014 they jumped to a staggering $644 million. Maryland has been holding steady since about 2010. Nebraska has been holding steady except for a big hiccup when they lost AAU membership. However, the next year when they joined the CIC, that slowly climbed back up and is now at record levels.

Edit: Upon further review, it looks like the 2014 bump came from integration of the Rutgers Biomedical Health Services with the main university.
                        Last edited by dxmnkd316; 03-23-2016, 04:14 PM.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                          Personally I think the 8th will be Omaha. The Nebraska University system will be used as a whole to get AAU recognition or at least the semblance of it back for Nebraska when their medical school was deemed part of Omaha not Lincoln. Nebraska initially got into the B1G because they had AAU status. This could save face for Nebraska. This could be a way around AAU affiliate.
                          UN-Lincoln got the boot from AAU because too much of their research was non-competitive grants is what I'd read. This is the first (and only) place I've seen the med school claim as the issue.

Nebraska has lagged behind most others on the criteria for membership — primarily competitive research financing and the share of faculty in the National Academies, which issues policy reports and advice.
                          Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/ed...3aau.html?_r=0

Those problems haven't changed in the mean time so your notion has some holes.

Even so, and no matter, UNL won't stand for UNO being their hockey surrogate. In that state it's Big Red and all the rest (Omaha, Kearney).

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                            Possibly. But it's probably it was the guy who was saying that the Computers Screwed UML!!!1!111!! from last year.
                            I doubt it because I don't think last years guy was working for the Sun 5 years ago. Then again I started following Lowell as Scoggins was on the way out, so I can't really say
                            BS UMass Lowell 2015
                            PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

UN-Lincoln got the boot from AAU because too much of their research was non-competitive grants is what I'd read. This is the first (and only) place I've seen the med school claim as the issue.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/ed...3aau.html?_r=0

Those problems haven't changed in the mean time so your notion has some holes.

Even so, and no matter, UNL won't stand for UNO being their hockey surrogate. In that state it's Big Red and all the rest (Omaha, Kearney).
                              http://journalstar.com/news/local/ed...d9ef3b01e.html

Agreed on the last part though. They wouldn't allow UNO to use the term 'surrogate'. But I don't think UNL cares about hockey enough to throw a stink of UNO joins as an affiliate member. Nor do I think it's a ploy for AAU reconsideration or anything like that (not that anyone suggested this).
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                They are also the biggest research institution in the nation.
                                Part of the deal with Big Ten they get to use the Big Ten research cancer consortium and Big Ten in house research internet network. https://www.bigtencrc.org/
                                Last edited by 4four4; 03-23-2016, 05:23 PM.
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X