X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Notre Dame leaves Hockey East for Big 10

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Why do you say that?

If you're talking about the numbers, that's on a per school basis.
    I am talking about your statement that "academics comes first in the big ten."
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
      I am talking about your statement that "academics comes first in the big ten."
      Not sure what to tell you. Academics in the Big Ten makes athletics look tiny. The best athletic departments in the nation make $100-$150 million. Everyone in the Big Ten makes that in research. Over half make north of $500 million. This was all back in 2011.

CIC members conducted over $10 billion in research in 2012-2013. Athletic departments probably don't reach $1 billion combined.

Academics is the first question asked when it comes to Big Ten membership. There's a reason Rutgers was added and not an athletic powerhouse. Well, there's two reasons, but the primary reason they were accepted was academics.
      Last edited by dxmnkd316; 03-23-2016, 09:08 AM.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        From the looks of it, they seem pretty POed about this.
        Why wouldn't they be. They have resisted joining the Big Ten for football, and this seems like a slippery slope time of move where they have a little more regular contact with Big Ten Schools. Its a good move for them hockey wise, but they want to protect the crown jewel of their athletic department.
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Not sure what to tell you. Academics in the Big Ten makes athletics look tiny. The best athletic departments in the nation make $100-$150 million. Everyone in the Big Ten makes that in research. Over half make north of $500 million. This was all back in 2011.

CIC members conducted over $10 billion in research in 2012-2013. Athletic departments probably don't reach $1 billion combined.

Academics is the first question asked when it comes to Big Ten membership. There's a reason Rutgers was added and not an athletic powerhouse. Well, there's two reasons, but the primary reason they were accepted was academics.
          The reason to add rutgers was an attempt at NYC... full stop.

---

I don't know how this became a UConn flamefest but the state has been outright pouring money in. Its only a matter of time before they gain the vaunted AAU status.
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Well if academics is so danged important than ASU would never, ever, be admitted to the big, but I bet they will be.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
              The reason to add rutgers was an attempt at NYC... full stop.

---

I don't know how this became a UConn flamefest but the state has been outright pouring money in. Its only a matter of time before they gain the vaunted AAU status.
              The reason they were courted by the athletic conference was the NY market. The reason they were accepted was their research and academics.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                Well if academics is so danged important than ASU would never, ever, be admitted to the big, but I bet they will be.
                Maybe. Maybe not. ASU spends over twice that of UConn when it comes to research.
                Code:

Comment

Everyone keeps framing this in undergraduate rankings. That matters, but it's not the primary focus. It's graduate research and grants.
                  Code:

Comment

The Big Ten was formed to regulate college athletics. If academics come first, why was the CIC formed 62 years after the Big Ten? Why aren't schools invited to join the CIC until after they become members of the Big Ten?

Would the member universities' research funding would dry up if they weren't in the Big Ten? Have Maryland and Rutgers research funding skyrocketed since entering the Big Ten? If it was just about academics, why did Chicago leave?
                    Originally posted by SJHovey
                    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                    Originally posted by Brenthoven
                    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

The Big Ten was formed to regulate college athletics. If academics come first, why was the CIC formed 62 years after the Big Ten? Why aren't schools invited to join the CIC until after they become members of the Big Ten?

Would the member universities' research funding would dry up if they weren't in the Big Ten? Have Maryland and Rutgers research funding skyrocketed since entering the Big Ten? If it was just about academics, why did Chicago leave?
                      Right, as far as I can tell Big Ten is an athletic conference. That CIC group is the research organization, is it not? All full members of Big Ten athletics may be part of the CIC, but not all members of the CIC are part of Big Ten Athletics (See University of Chicago). Though closely linked, they are separate. Big Ten can leverage the CIC affiliation as a means to reject other institutions which is fine, that's their right, but they seem more than willing to make exceptions if it will benefit them in athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                        What was RPIs reasoning last time they were under consideration?

If it was loss of old rivalries, 12 ooc games might help rectify that a bit.

Travel is the only thing I can really come up with, but I'd figure higher conference revenue payouts might quell that as well.
                        Actually RPI and Vermont were travel partners back in VT's ECAC days, used to have alot of fun on those home/home weekends.
                        New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

That was because Chicago made an institutional decision to drop athletics and focus on academics.

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                          Right, as far as I can tell Big Ten is an athletic conference. That CIC group is the research organization, is it not? All full members of Big Ten athletics may be part of the CIC, but not all members of the CIC are part of Big Ten Athletics (See University of Chicago). Though closely linked, they are separate. Big Ten can leverage the CIC affiliation as a means to reject other institutions which is fine, that's their right, but they seem more than willing to make exceptions if it will benefit them in athletics.
                          What exceptions exist? Just Notre Dame in the BTHC.
                          Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                            it was easy for the longest time that they two are equivalent... but we've seen more and more the Big10 has been willing to let this "bend" while paying lip service to academics. I just wish they'd admit it instead of spinning a tale.
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

That was because Chicago made an institutional decision to drop athletics and focus on academics.

What exceptions exist? Just Notre Dame in the BTHC.
                              John Hopkins in Lacrosse.
                              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                                it was easy for the longest time that they two are equivalent... but we've seen more and more the Big10 has been willing to let this "bend" while paying lip service to academics. I just wish they'd admit it instead of spinning a tale.
                                Except the chancellors are the ones who vote on it, not the athletic departments. They aren't going to tarnish the brand as an academic research powerhouse by bringing in a sub-par research institution.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X