X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another possibly problematic women's coach

This ran today. I found it interesting. We've heard rumblings

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/feature...904aa8e15.html
    "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Re: Another possibly problematic women's coach

Yeah, I saw it an hour ago. Not the most well written piece ever, not the hardest evidence I've ever seen.
    But could easily be something there.

And, for example, this is from Amanda Kessel dated March 14th
    "Food for thought: around 95% of star athletes play better with confidence and more opportunities. Yet coaches still take a hard*** approach?
    Instill confidence in your teammates and players if you want their best performance"

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post

I would hope she reconsiders per any children at some point. There are clearly many good coaches and programs enabling a fine student athlete experience.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

The results the last couple of years certainly are worthy of discussion but nothing in the article sounds abusive. Kicking a stick and not looking at players sounds like millennial whining from club players who got cut. Old story recycled with some unnamed current sources. Hardly TMZ level journalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
          The results the last couple of years certainly are worthy of discussion but nothing in the article sounds abusive. Kicking a stick and not looking at players sounds like millennial whining from club players who got cut. Old story recycled with some unnamed current sources. Hardly TMZ level journalism.
          It's a lot more than that, and there have been rumblings about him from multiple sources in the CHA.
          "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

It's a lot more than that, and there have been rumblings about him from multiple sources in the CHA.
            Fair enough and sometimes where there is smoke there is fire but my point was that nothing in that article was noteworthy in my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
              Yeah, I saw it an hour ago. Not the most well written piece ever, not the hardest evidence I've ever seen.
              But could easily be something there.

And, for example, this is from Amanda Kessel dated March 14th
              "Food for thought: around 95% of star athletes play better with confidence and more opportunities. Yet coaches still take a hard*** approach?
              Instill confidence in your teammates and players if you want their best performance"
              Agreed, plenty of millennial whining here. Birdie Shaw was a very mediocre talent. Definately not a D1 player. Brandwene is a bad coach who only got the job because he knew someone. It's always fun though when bad players and coaches get together. Makes for interesting reading for us outsiders.

Comment

It would be great to hear what this year's graduating seniors have to say, now that there is no threat of their being benched or cut, and no reason at all to embellish anything. Players aren't the only ones grumbling about Brandwene and his coaching ability - go to a Penn State game and talk to fans between periods. I'm sure every coach has his share of fans who are sure they could do a better job, but there's a lot of it regarding Brandwene and his coaching ability. It's easy to think the players quoted in the article are just mad at having been cut, but I think that would change if this year's graduating seniors would add their opinions to the discussion.

Comment

IIRC, this wasn't a well received hire in the first place. It was common knowledge that he was hired because of his relationship with Joe Battista but neither of them had any previous experience in NCAA women's hockey. It was basically a hire of convenience and of friendship not one made because it was the right hockey decision. I think everyone in women's hockey laughed at this decision when he got hired. It sounds like it's coming back to bite them in the rear end now. What a surprise.

Comment

I have to agree with the rumblings, I know one player on the PSU team and all she did was complain about him, and she plays on scholarship. said the team would be much better with another coach. BTW I had heard this long before any of this or the articles.... Never like to see a coach treat his players with anything more then total respect, mind games have been part of hockey for years and there is a fine line their, especially when you are getting paid to win.

Comment

A followup article today, with comments from the Penn State athletic director:

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/feature...738940165.html

Comment

Note from a member of the Penn State graduating senior class:

In light of yet another article regarding allegations of emotional abuse suffered by former players during their time under Coach Josh Brandwene, I would like to share my experience playing for him as well. There are a group of 12 seniors that demonstrated unwavering support and dedication to the success and future of this program. Each person had a different experience, and I know every senior has the best intentions for the future of the team. I’m thankful to have been surrounded by such amazing teammates. Out of respect for the girls on the team, who continue to be impacted, I want to say my part. As for my personal experience playing for Josh Brandwene, I never experienced any of this alleged emotional abuse. I feel it is necessary to speak out against these claims and share my perspective.

In an attempt to push their agenda, The Daily Collegian compromised their integrity and legitimacy as a source of factual news. The accusations made in these articles are unfounded and contain little evidence of legal or ethical violations. Everyone has a right to speak about their own story, and these comments are representative of my individual experience. In my opinion, it's unlikely that a thorough investigation by the Penn State Athletics Department will produce any evidence of emotional abuse. It’s more likely an investigation will probably find that there is a lack of confidence in his coaching ability. There is a big difference. Personally, I felt that the physical and mental demands were in alignment with what would be expected of a D1 collegiate athlete. Over the years, talking with the players on teams brought a new perspective and appreciation for how good we have it. In fact, he's arguably the most accommodating and flexible coach in the NCAA. I feel incredibly lucky that I had the opportunity to play hockey and get a great education at Penn State. The experience exceeded my expectations, and I'm grateful to every member of the staff for their dedication and support of me throughout my career.

Sincerely,

A senior

Comment

Originally posted by HelloItsMe View Post

In light of yet another article regarding allegations of emotional abuse suffered by former players during their time under Coach Josh Brandwene, I would like to share my experience playing for him as well. There are a group of 12 seniors that demonstrated unwavering support and dedication to the success and future of this program. Each person had a different experience, and I know every senior has the best intentions for the future of the team. I’m thankful to have been surrounded by such amazing teammates. Out of respect for the girls on the team, who continue to be impacted, I want to say my part. As for my personal experience playing for Josh Brandwene, I never experienced any of this alleged emotional abuse. I feel it is necessary to speak out against these claims and share my perspective.

In an attempt to push their agenda, The Daily Collegian compromised their integrity and legitimacy as a source of factual news. The accusations made in these articles are unfounded and contain little evidence of legal or ethical violations. Everyone has a right to speak about their own story, and these comments are representative of my individual experience. In my opinion, it's unlikely that a thorough investigation by the Penn State Athletics Department will produce any evidence of emotional abuse. It’s more likely an investigation will probably find that there is a lack of confidence in his coaching ability. There is a big difference. Personally, I felt that the physical and mental demands were in alignment with what would be expected of a D1 collegiate athlete. Over the years, talking with the players on teams brought a new perspective and appreciation for how good we have it. In fact, he's arguably the most accommodating and flexible coach in the NCAA. I feel incredibly lucky that I had the opportunity to play hockey and get a great education at Penn State. The experience exceeded my expectations, and I'm grateful to every member of the staff for their dedication and support of me throughout my career.

Sincerely,

A senior
                          You should approach the Collegian and offer your opinion there as well, so the story has some balance. As I said in an earlier comment, the opinions of the current graduating seniors on the team would add a lot to this story, regardless of which way their individual opinions go. You have no fear of retribution now that the season is over - encourage your fellow seniors to add their voices. This issue is dividing the team, and it's not a new issue - the sooner it gets resolved, the better it will be for this team so it can move forward and build on what you seniors started at Penn State.

Comment

Originally posted by HelloItsMe View Post

Sincerely,

A senior
                            I don't think he should ever have been given the job given his glaring lack of qualifications so I'm definitely not a supporter of this coach. At the same time I have a very hard time believing any players read this forum let alone create an account so they can post here too, so I don't believe this is a legit current player's post. There's something in the way it's written that makes me question it's legitimacy.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                              I don't think he should ever have been given the job given his glaring lack of qualifications so I'm definitely not a supporter of this coach. At the same time I have a very hard time believing any players read this forum let alone create an account so they can post here too, so I don't believe this is a legit current player's post. There's something in the way it's written that makes me question it's legitimacy.
                              Not true. Several years ago, Rush Zimmerman from Providence logged on to comment on a HE thread focusing on the recently concluded HE tournament and Providence's attitude after they won the tournament. She gave a thoughtful response to some questionable posts from people who had an axe to grind. So some players do follow the threads from time to time. I have no way of knowing if this post belongs to a player or a post from someone with a 'dog in this fight'. The only person who knows for sure is the person who wrote the post.

Comment

Working...
                              X