2016 WCHA Offseason; It's All Over, Save Ferris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 WCHA Offseason; It's All Over, Save Ferris

I would assume the championship game should not be allowed to be a part of season ticket holder packages...but who knows how they will handle that.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
      The only concern I have is making sure there are enough tickets available for the visiting team's fans. If Ferris hosts Tech, for example, the MTU contingent could fill a significant part of the seating, if given the opportunity. Not saying it has to be 50/50, but especially for the championship game, there should be some effort to make tickets available for the lower seed.
      Since all subsequent championship games will be held in Bowling Green, OH and since we have a decent sized arena, I doubt this will be an issue. If it is, I'll save you a seat next to me.

Comment

I asked Bob Daniels about the single-game championship. As you might expect, the idea was to keep the final weekend to a single game since teams could have played ten games in the previous four weekends. Apparently a two-game with mini game was considered, but not for long.

I like the idea and hope that UAH will get it in the next three years.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

So I take it they will eliminate a regular season bye weekend for each team to address the decision to remain at 28 conference games?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            So I take it they will eliminate a regular season bye weekend for each team to address the decision to remain at 28 conference games?
            Yes, and also seems far more likely that WCHA teams will continue to play less than allowed with Alaska Exemptions.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              Yes, and also seems far more likely that WCHA teams will continue to play less than allowed with Alaska Exemptions.
              There's no reason to play 38 games. Actually it would be pretty foolish from the perspective of scheduling and injuries.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                There's no reason to play 38 games. Actually it would be pretty foolish from the perspective of scheduling and injuries.
                But now, with this change, I wouldn't be surprised if team shy away from playing 36, unless they can get 1 for 1s

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  http://wcha.com/men/pres1516/201605/may17wcm.php

Best-of-three quarters, best-of-three semis, single-game championship, all hosted by highest seed.

GFM
                  This will work out great for the league until one of the Alaska teams ends up the top seed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    This will work out great for the league until one of the Alaska teams ends up the top seed.
                    WCHA has been lucky so far. 2014, UAF hosted and wound up playing UAA, so minimal travel. 2015, UAF finished fourth but had the postseason ban. 2016, UAF was not very good.
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

If an Alaska school ever hosts (1 or multiple rounds), it won't be horrible, because that place should be packed collecting $$$, and only 1 team has to travel to Alaska, not 3+

I mean, how is it really any worse than the following:

UAF to BGSU, UAA to MSU, UAH to MTU?

Comment

I like this playoff move by the WCHA. It's not perfect, but there were no perfect solutions. In a geographically, ahem, diverse league made up mostly of smaller programs, doing the neutral site thing isn't realistic if you want to draw a big crowd. The new Final Five was never going to not be compared to its oWCHA heyday. Better to leave it to the history books.

I think someone brought up the availability of municipal arenas for a few schools. At least in the Nanooks' case there is the option of using the Patty Center (on campus rink, but only seats 1500 or so) should the Carlson Center be booked whenever UAF hosts. Which probably won't happen for a few years.
                        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                          I like this playoff move by the WCHA. It's not perfect, but there were no perfect solutions. In a geographically, ahem, diverse league made up mostly of smaller programs, doing the neutral site thing isn't realistic if you want to draw a big crowd. The new Final Five was never going to not be compared to its oWCHA heyday. Better to leave it to the history books.

I think someone brought up the availability of municipal arenas for a few schools. At least in the Nanooks' case there is the option of using the Patty Center (on campus rink, but only seats 1500 or so) should the Carlson Center be booked whenever UAF hosts. Which probably won't happen for a few years.
                          The one nice thing with the choice is that this really doesn't add anything, etc for 1 date. Most arenas were already reserved for what will now be the first and 2nd round. So you're just asking arenas to keep the rink available 1 extra day...They can do a concert or something else on Friday/Sunday of the Championship weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post

I doubt it matters for kato either. Two additional weekends to keep open likely won't have a huge effect. In fact it will likely be used more often now than it was before.
                            Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Just a thought on ticket sales:

I assume the WCHA will set prices for all playoff games. Will there be a premium for Semi's/Final? I'm just curious how the cost of up to 4 extra games would be received... Winning is present, so that could cancel that out, but just something that popped into my head initially.
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                                Just a thought on ticket sales:

I assume the WCHA will set prices for all playoff games. Will there be a premium for Semi's/Final? I'm just curious how the cost of up to 4 extra games would be received... Winning is present, so that could cancel that out, but just something that popped into my head initially.
                                I would assume the championship would not be part of a season ticket, or would require an opt-in with limits to allow a certain amount (higher than normal) for visitors.

The one comment that I did like from the WCHA conference call on this was that it makes it easier on the #1 seed fans to travel to a regional if they win it all because they haven't had to pay to travel to the conference tournament, etc.

That is a great thought to have relating to this. If you just got back from a trip to St. Paul or Grand Rapids, are you really going to want to turn around and drop money on a flight, hotel, tickets to get to a regional?

Comment

Working...
                                X