Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 WCHA Offseason; It's All Over, Save Ferris

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
    Am I the only one that believes ASU should go to the WCHA. With only 5 D1 wins this season's, 3-3 against WCHA teams.

L UAA
    W UA_
    2W LSSU
    2L BSU

This season they would in the middle, perhaps .500 team in league play. If there recruiting/development goes well they could rise to a top tier team in WCHA in at least 5 years.

If they did this;I don't see them staying with the WCHA. They would move to the B7G, PAC, or the NCHC after getting successful, securing their fanbase, garning national attention.

Or they could rough it out with the NCHC, or the B7G. The WCHA would be the safer bet, but more money and recognization would come from the B7G, NCHC. Idk what do you guys think?
    I think that, absent any realignment that coincides with WCHA attaching to a conference, any ASU conference affiliation is temporary at best. I'm also reminded of what Mike Corbett told me — he thinks that it's probable that ASU won't join a conference until 2017-18 and won't announce this year. At this point, getting a 2016-17 schedule done for any of the three conferences they'd join seems well nigh impossible.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
      Am I the only one that believes ASU should go to the WCHA. With only 5 D1 wins this season's, 3-3 against WCHA teams.

L UAA
      W UA_
      2W LSSU
      2L BSU

This season they would in the middle, perhaps .500 team in league play. If there recruiting/development goes well they could rise to a top tier team in WCHA in at least 5 years.

If they did this;I don't see them staying with the WCHA. They would move to the B7G, PAC, or the NCHC after getting successful, securing their fanbase, garning national attention.

Or they could rough it out with the NCHC, or the B7G. The WCHA would be the safer bet, but more money and recognization would come from the B7G, NCHC. Idk what do you guys think?
      No way to know, of course, but I doubt if they would have finished in the middle. Their best games came early in the year. The Beavs slaughtered them later on. Lack of depth started showing more and more as the year went on. I'd think more likely last than the middle. I think that's one reason they're not rushing joining a conference. They know they're at least one more recruiting class away from being competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
        No way to know, of course, but I doubt if they would have finished in the middle. Their best games came early in the year. The Beavs slaughtered them later on. Lack of depth started showing more and more as the year went on. I'd think more likely last than the middle. I think that's one reason they're not rushing joining a conference. They know they're at least one more recruiting class away from being competitive.
        I would agree, last by a mile. and next year, if they were in, last again, though a bit better. They still do not have an arena plan in place and though they have some good recruits, with no arena those recruits are going to start second guessing if they made the right choice.Their style of play is boring and they have issues in the locker room. I would think that they will be mid pack and I have a tough time seeing them better than NMU, even down the line. It's easy to be ok, it's not easy being good.
        Plus not only Geoff will 2016-17 be impacted, but the 17-18 is being impacted as we speak because a lot of the non con games are being set up right now. Having said all that I think they will come into the WCHA and announce within a month.Maybe at the coaches convention.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          either way, they'll probably be a team more willing to travel to WCHA schools for the near future to fill their schedule.
          They haven't been willing to do it on an even trade basis the past three years. LSSU has been to their tourney and has played at South Bend but the exLSSU coach has yet to bring his Irish to the Soo since the dissolution of the CCHA.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
            Perhaps their radio guy needs to get better at knowing how to book flights

I'm pretty sure if I can figure out how to get to Detroit with one stop he can too.
            It's not as easy as you may think. My flights from Marquette to and from Fort Myers for the holiday tourney include stops in Chicago & DFW going out & Charlotte & Chicago coming back with a 9 hour layover at OHare. Direct one stop flights were far more expensive. As were later departures from Fort Myers to reduce the long layover. And telling about one's routing isn't necessarily "complaining," it is just telling the story.

From Marquette, I rarely travel with the team. If the team is on American, I'm usually on Delta and vice versa. It's actually far more expensive to fly with the team, even when booked as part of the group. You don't get a big group discount, in fact, the more seats you take up on those 50 seaters, the higher the price.
            Last edited by davyd83; 04-13-2016, 09:42 AM.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              They haven't been willing to do it on an even trade basis the past three years. LSSU has been to their tourney and has played at South Bend but the exLSSU coach has yet to bring his Irish to the Soo since the dissolution of the CCHA.
              I was talking about ASU?
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                I was talking about ASU?
                Thanks. Sorry for my misunderstanding. Hopefully ASU will continue to schedule the WCHA teams on at least an even basis.

Comment

And BTW if you go to Phoenix in the high season, say mid january to early April during spring training, you will wait up to 3 hours in the rental car line and the car will be at least 50% more than a comparable car in Vegas. I recently paid 300 a night for what is normally a fairly cheap hotel, which included almost 100 per night in TAX.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    And BTW if you go to Phoenix in the high season, say mid january to early April during spring training, you will wait up to 3 hours in the rental car line and the car will be at least 50% more than a comparable car in Vegas. I recently paid 300 a night for what is normally a fairly cheap hotel, which included almost 100 per night in TAX.
                    I didn't have any problems flying/renting in Phoenix for the DHC? granted we flew in on Wednesday night and out Monday morning of the Football Championship.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      I think that, absent any realignment that coincides with WCHA attaching to a conference, any ASU conference affiliation is temporary at best. I'm also reminded of what Mike Corbett told me — he thinks that it's probable that ASU won't join a conference until 2017-18 and won't announce this year. At this point, getting a 2016-17 schedule done for any of the three conferences they'd join seems well nigh impossible.

GFM
                      That's the plan Arizona State announced from the start: 2015-16 would be part D-I, part club; 2016-17 would be full D-I independent; 2017-18 would be their first conference season (assuming they've joined one by then). A decision would need to be made by this summer to stick to that plan.
                      Michael Napier - UAH '97
                      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Minot State (ND) looking at the possibility of D-I Hockey

http://www.heraldonline.com/sports/article70057662.html
                        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                          Minot State (ND) looking at the possibility of D-I Hockey
                          This pretty much gets right to the heart of the issue:
                          "If finances weren't a part of it, it's a no-brainer..." says Minot State (and every other team to consider adding D-I hockey).
                          Ryan J
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                            That's the plan Arizona State announced from the start: 2015-16 would be part D-I, part club; 2016-17 would be full D-I independent; 2017-18 would be their first conference season (assuming they've joined one by then). A decision would need to be made by this summer to stick to that plan.
                            They had stated that they would having their final conversations at the Frozen Four with a decision likely soon after.
                            Last edited by davyd83; 04-14-2016, 05:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                              Is it too early or too late to get the following rumor going:

ASU, Notre Dame, North Dakota, Miami, Boston College, and Boston University to break away and create the American Collegiate Hockey Conference...

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                                Thanks, Michael ... yeah, I think Corbs was telling me that he thought that it might be one more year before they joined a league. I'll ask him when I see him at the banquet.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X