Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Age One: Pre-Bob Johnson
    Age Two: Badge Bob Johnson
    Age Three: Jeff Sauer
    Age Four: Mike Eaves
    Age Five: ????

It's time for Badger fans to look towards the future that can be and stop suffering through the seasons past.

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

It will definitely be interesting to see how many recruits reopen their recruitment after the firing of Eaves.
    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
    https://***********/QHockeyBlog
    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

You beat me to the punch! I was going to title it Wisconsin Hockey XXXVIII: The Sun Also Rises.

So to start out optimistically, who would everyone suggest as a new coach? Perhaps we could start a running candidate, strengths and weaknesses list.

Comment

Tim Coghlin. Certainly worked with the selection of Bo Ryan from D III.

Comment

Originally posted by souptown View Post
          I'd like to introduce you to "cause and effect" reasoning...
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Potential UW Head Coaches
            George Gwozdecky
            Mark Johnson
            Don Granato
            Mark Osiecki
            Tim Coughlin
            Luke Strand

Any other names that should be added to the fan's short list?

Comment

I hear John Micheletto is available

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
                I hear John Micheletto is available
                No, go sit in the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by souptown View Post
                  Bo got a year or two in D1 with UW Milwaukee before coming to Madison. I'd prefer someone with D1 experience.

Comment

Thanks Almington for the new thread; it's a good idea to move on. I didn't see it at first and posted on the "old" thread! (Lock it!)

After some personal research, I don't understand the big whoop about Don G. He started coaching in 1993. As a HEAD coach he has: 5 years not making the playoffs, 5 years of losing in the 1st or 2nd rounds of playoffs, 1 year lost in finals, and 1 championship. (3 years no results shown and 1 year came in at mid season). Am I missing something? I'm not being a smart ***; I just don't see much there. If he wasn't a Badger, would some of you even consider him?

Even though he didn't do much better in the USHL, because of his coaching at a higher level, I prefer Oz; the Great and Powerful.
                    Last edited by MadCityRich; 03-19-2016, 08:41 PM.
                    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                      Potential UW Head Coaches
                      George Gwozdecky
                      Mark Johnson
                      Don Granato
                      Mark Osiecki
                      Tim Coughlin
                      Luke Strand

Any other names that should be added to the fan's short list?
                      Rick Bennett, Rand Pecknold, Nate Leamon
                      WISCONSIN BADGERS
                      NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                      WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                      WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                      B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                      Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                        Rick Bennett, Rand Pecknold, Nate Leamon
                        I don't see Pecknold going to the Midwest. He is a new england guy and has young kids plus some of the best facilities in the country.
                        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                        https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                          Thanks Almington for the new thread; it's a good idea to move on. I didn't see it at first and posted on the "old" thread!

After some personal research, I don't understand the big whoop about Don G. He started coaching in 1993. As a HEAD coach he has: 5 years not making the playoffs, 5 years of losing in the 1st or 2nd rounds of playoffs, 1 year lost in finals, and 1 championship. (3 years no results shown and 1 year came in at mid season). Am I missing something? I'm not being a smart ***; I just don't see much there. If he wasn't a Badger, would some of you even consider him?

Even though he didn't do much better in the USHL, because of his coaching at a higher level, I prefer Oz; the Great and Powerful.
                          I think that a very big part is that the Granatos are completely independent of the Eaves era.

In many ways, if Oz is successful, it validates Eaves methodology and secures his legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                            Thanks Almington for the new thread; it's a good idea to move on. I didn't see it at first and posted on the "old" thread! (Lock it!)

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess your personal research was looking up Donny's hockeydb page.

Jim Johanson picks pretty good coaches. Of the 7 previous coaches at the NTDP 5 have had very above average success in the profession. Mike Eaves and Jeff Jackson (ND) own NCAA championships, David Quinn (BU) fell one game short last year. ( BU is so loaded up with incoming recruits that some BU fans are worrying they are going to be too loaded with talent and have an early departure problem.) Ron Ralston has taken over the Buffalo Sabres twice and John Hynes is the coach of the New Jersey Devils. Don took a 9 win Gamblers team and got them to the title game in his third year and he won a championship in the ECHL which is a very tough place to coach IMO. The simple fact that he kept his AHL job for five years probably says something good about him too. Short term he comes with a great knowledge of the current recruiting scene and he probably secures the current commits.

I would take Oz as an assistant in a heartbeat, but I'm just not sure if he's the guy to be HC. His OSU stint didn't go too well at all from my perspective despite bringing in some strong recruits. However not hiring Oz if he's the best candidate because of his connection to Eaves seems silly.

There's only one candidate I'm aware of who's current team was certain to be done playing by the March 25th application deadline. If that means anything.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                              I don't see Pecknold going to the Midwest. He is a new england guy and has young kids plus some of the best facilities in the country.
                              Haven't been around much have you
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                              X