Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    On Heller's show yesterday TG indicated that it was Barry's idea to get all three, so who knows? Full props to Barry either way. For all the flack we've given him, when the game was on the line, the clock was ticking down and we needed someone to step up and make a big play, he did just that. He had to have the vision to see it and then the acumen to get it done and sell it to the board. A lot of guys wouldn't have been able to.

I'll give him credit for getting this done, but I find it hard to believe that a "not a hockey guy" came up with this plan all by himself. I'm skeptical that he even knew who the Granatos were before someone briefed him on them.

Regardless of what is put out for mass consumption, I believe that there were others (who know and care about hockey) tasked with fixing this and Barry is just getting the credit.

As far as the game on the line and making the shot... he waited till the game was over and the custodians were sweeping up the arena to take the shot.

Again, thrilled that this got done, but letting the program slip to the level that it did before even recognizing or acknowledging a problem was a major fail on Barry's part and he doesn't get a pass on that just because we're all euphoric right now and MCR is pitching a perpetual tent.

Remember that fail when you're watching Boesser in a green jersey next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      The smartest rodentsotains are ones who are smart enough to recognize what a revolting predicament they were born into and make the right moves as adults to cleanse their souls. Obviously there is a lot of lack of smarts in our old neighbor to the west.

... before it got leaked by ESPN.
      Here! Here!

My theory on the "leak" is that Barry had Jason King call Bucci and tell him to release it in order to put the screws to the board.

One thing about the Emperor: When he really wants something, it happens.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        I'll give him credit for getting this done, but I find it hard to believe that a "not a hockey guy" came up with this plan all by himself.
        This almost had to be orchestrated from the alumni end of things. To get all three of these guys had to have taken some leg work and I would bet good money that the alumni really helped facilitate a good deal of this getting done.

Barry might have made the call, but I'm guessing that numerous calls had been made, from others, before he picked up the phone.
        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

One thing about the Emperor: When he really wants something, it happens.

More likely, he wanted that annoying buzzing in his ear to go away so he could get back to wining and dining donors and arranging hookers and blow for football recruits.

Comment

More likely, he wanted that annoying buzzing in his ear to go away so he could get back to wining and dining donors and arranging hookers and blow for football recruits.
            Whoa....that escalated quickly.....

Comment

I was at the press conference yesterday and just watched it online again. Loved what the new coaches had to say. All three of them seems ready and enthusiastic about getting to work and are glad to be here. I have no doubt things are going to improve as quick as humanly possible and I’m really excited about it.

Barry is still Barry. My opinion of him went up a lot with this hiring of coaches but I would think someone who does as much public speaking as he does would have been able to do the minute and a half introduction of the new coaches and how great it is for the UW without having to look down and read it off his notes more than looking up and talking. Some of his other answers were odd. Barry didn’t hear back from Mark Johnson on if he was interested in the job so he had to assume Mark wasn’t interested?

But, hey Barry, thanks for the great coaching staff, and the new socks!
              Wisconsin Badgers

National Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90 & 2006

Comment

I'll give him credit for getting this done, but I find it hard to believe that a "not a hockey guy" came up with this plan all by himself. I'm skeptical that he even knew who the Granatos were before someone briefed him on them.

Regardless of what is put out for mass consumption, I believe that there were others (who know and care about hockey) tasked with fixing this and Barry is just getting the credit.

As far as the game on the line and making the shot... he waited till the game was over and the custodians were sweeping up the arena to take the shot.

Again, thrilled that this got done, but letting the program slip to the level that it did before even recognizing or acknowledging a problem was a major fail on Barry's part and he doesn't get a pass on that just because we're all euphoric right now and MCR is pitching a perpetual tent.

Remember that fail when you're watching Boesser in a green jersey next weekend.
                I'm not sure why it matters if alumni or other people Barry tasked with fixing this made the contacts, or actually came up with the plan. (Although Barry, Tony, Donny, and Oz all say it sprung from Tony and Barry's conversation. Are they just lying? ) When you're the manager you get credit for what happens good or ill because you do or don't recognize opportunities, you do or don't assign people to jobs, and do or don't make the decisions. If Barry called Ron Vincent for example, and listened to what he had to say, that seems like a wise course of action on his part.

If in retrospect Barry should have fired Eaves last summer, well, plenty of people agree, but I don't think it was so simple. Tony was in the midst of deciding to go with Mike Babcock to the Leafs and maybe isn't as amenable...Heck, in theory 8 more goals and Eaves has 16 wins and probably is still in the job.

Boesser decommitted a couple games into the '14-15 season. By that logic, Barry should have fired Eaves the summer after he won the B1G tournament and had a #1 NCAA seed. Perhaps that's right in retrospect again, but it's not realistic.

Regardless, we could argue it forever, it seems like in the end it has worked out for the best.
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

so he could get back to wining and dining donors and arranging hookers and blow for football recruits.
                  Well, yes. That's more or less how I go about it. How else do you get what you want?
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

When was the last time Wisconsin Badgers Hockey took up ALL the above-the-fold portion of the Wisconsin State Journal sports section? (I know that's partly dependent on a lack of other major local and regional teams having big news, but it's still quite striking.)

Comment

“This is the place I want to play until I’m ready to play in the NHL,” he said. “We’ll see what happens at the draft and I’m really looking forward to being back here and playing next year.” --Luke Kunin, Wisconsin State Journal
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                        This is why the NCHC formed. They knew that when the B1G schools decided to take hockey seriously they would make resources available to the hockey program that most other schools could not.
                        I'm sure you're right. Now I wonder when and if the Nachos will decide they're not going to be able to compete with the B1G on $$ and glamour, and start trying to re-expand the conference to gain credibility through weight of numbers. I don't see how exclusivity is their path to success in this hypothetical war for long-term western supremacy, but I'd hate to see the nWCHA lose any teams to them (BGSU, Mankato, or any of our other "big brothers")
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

"...because to me the Wisconsin hockey program is the best program there is. I'm talking college, pro, you name it. The best program. No question about it..." Don Granato from shot and a goal

Tony g's mom on the recruiting trip to Madison for TG (up to this point he'd been meaning to msu) "..,but after going to those games, I remember tony was all excited. We were leaving town...I just remember Tony bouncing off the walls, saying how he wanted to go to Wisconsin. And my husband asked him are you sure? This is a big decision. And he said turn the car around right now. I want to go to Wisconsin. He didn't want to leave Madison." Natalie Granato

"When they told me they wanted me, that's all I needed to hear. I always wanted to go to Wisconsin. Chris Chelios showed me around on my recruiting trip...Jeff Sauer showed me a scouting report that said I had the ability to fill in for chelios on the power play..." Tony g

And lastly his mom is quoted saying academics were important to tony. He never thought his future was nhl, he mostly thought of the Olympics.

Great great hire, soundsike a great person from a solid family

Also, they should repress this book now and sell it at bucky's lockerroom
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Nicely written piece on the UW Womens Hockey website by Badger player Baylee Wellhausen about having her Granato uncles on campus! Hopefully there will be some "double header" days next season with the Womens and Mens team playing on the same day!
                            Last edited by rangersrule; 03-31-2016, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rangersrule View Post
                              Nicely written piece on the UW Womens Hockey website by Baylee Wellhausen about having her Granato uncles on campus! Hopefully there will be some "double header" days next season with the Womens and Mens team playing on the same day!
                              http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2016/3...x?path=whockey
                              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

B.A. hit the Trifecta with the head coach and associate head coach hires. I think we need to go for the Quadrella - lets get a top notch goalie coach in here. It didn't appear that young Matt improved much if any under Sanger. Have there been any rumblings about Howie? Is there any other option available other than Howie? It would be a shame to neglect the goalies. Let's also get back to being "Goaltender U."

Howie was on staff until 2008, and Oz from '04 until '10, so yes. Howie still runs camps and clinics so he's still involved. See here:http://www.greatgoalies.net/home.html

I'd put the chances of Howie returning at between 0% and 2%. But that's just my thoughts, I don't have any real hard info to go on.

Whether Jurussic will be the guy or not, who knows? But I do think he has real talent. Easy to forget a guy like Els was 21 before he saw any sustained action in net. Matt's awfully young yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X