PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

gwhinwi
03-30-2016, 02:01 PM
Couldn't hear what he said, but I think that Ron Vincent was saying some good things about how happy the hockey alumni are with the changes that were made. I would have to think that they had a big involvement all along.

KaMiGo
03-30-2016, 02:15 PM
When asked about the new coaching dynamic having an impact in getting top-end guys to stick around longer:
Tony first defers to Oz, who talks about that being part of the challenge of getting high end talent, he sold the new staff's ties to the NHL as a way that teams will be comfortable keeping kids in the NCAA longer
Then Tony comes back in with "When we bring them in and they leave, we'll find another one"
I like that mentality, but it will be interesting to see how it actually works out.

Current players were also available to the media afterwards, I'll be interested to see what some of the players have to say.

WiscTJK
03-30-2016, 02:16 PM
I missed the second half the presser, but Tony did thank Mike Eaves for being a great ambassador and player of Wisconsin Hockey and wanted him to be there. Classy move, IMO.

badger79
03-30-2016, 02:17 PM
I'm so geeked after that press conference, I wish the new season was starting today. The coaches seem just as eager to get started on turning this thing around. I cannot wait.

UWisco
03-30-2016, 02:20 PM
Obviously the 3 have some roster clean up to do. Which players are either encouraged to transfer or simply dismissed from the team?

Transfer? Sexton, Tischke, Bunz, Ustaski, Grunwald?
Dismissed? Keryluk, Shuchuk, Barnes, Hurley, Breon?

Wisko McBadgerton
03-30-2016, 02:34 PM
Question on bench dynamic from Posick.

Oz: "Brian do you think Donny and my jobs are going to be to keep Tony in control and off the dasher? ... Probably."

geezer
03-30-2016, 02:48 PM
So Wisco hired three fully qualified head coaches at once. Will this start a Bi6 arms race? Will the Gophers want someone to coach their hockey team now? Will MI want three at once when Red retires? This could be interesting.

Wisko McBadgerton
03-30-2016, 02:55 PM
Obviously the 3 have some roster clean up to do. Which players are either encouraged to transfer or simply dismissed from the team?

Transfer? Sexton, Tischke, Bunz, Ustaski, Grunwald?
Dismissed? Keryluk, Shuchuk, Barnes, Hurley, Breon?

If you let Sexton, Tischke, and Bunz go, you're left with one pretty good D in Linhart and one pretty good D that hasn't been able to play actual D much at all in Davison. Plus 6 or more freshman depending on who you can dig up or accelerate. Not sure that's going to be the way to go.

Bratbill
03-30-2016, 03:07 PM
Nice event today! Most you saw on tv.
Everyone got free pair of Badger socks even the media(or course the NBC 15guy stuffed his camera bag full😥
And they advertised new website thiswillknockyoursocksoff.com
Shoulda had a USCHO meetup so I could put faces to names.
Was interesting to see the disappointment of media when Tony agreed to take a few questions from fans and Alumni.
Very impressed with Tony explaining the importance of renewing the legacy.
Seems to me they really stressed going after every player of top caliber.
Oz said some great ones will leave early and Tony added then we'll get another one!

Great day to be a Badger!

GBBadger14
03-30-2016, 03:32 PM
"When we bring them in and they leave, we'll find another one"

I think we have the title for the next recruiting thread.

WiscDC
03-30-2016, 04:21 PM
On the topic of the hype and advertising, it would be a colossal waste to not have all this fanfare. (Heck, I thought they missed a big opportunity with North Dakota's return to Madison - and rematch with Wisconsin - in the fall of 2014.) I don't just want fans like us to come rushing back. I want casual UW fans to perk up their ears and recognize how huge this is, and why it is such a drastic change from before. It's not just about ticket sales; it's also about the cultural presense of UW hockey.

A small change over the last couple of years was how they started putting out way more highlights that had original audio and weren't buried in the Badger Hockey Digest. It would've been better if there were more highlights in front of more fans, of course.

Almington
03-30-2016, 06:19 PM
So Wisco hired three fully qualified head coaches at once. Will this start a Bi6 arms race? Will the Gophers want someone to coach their hockey team now? Will MI want three at once when Red retires? This could be interesting.

This is why the NCHC formed. They knew that when the B1G schools decided to take hockey seriously they would make resources available to the hockey program that most other schools could not. The question is does MSU go after an NHL level coaching staff when they make a change? What do the UMs do when Berenson and Lucia decide to retire? Or does it turn out that UW was in a spot where this was the move that they needed to make to start rebuilding a fractured fanbase? My guess is that it will turn out that UW is a special case, but it should drive up HC salaries at all the B1G schools which will likely force other schools to raise the HC's pay when rumors of B1G school interest occurs.

burd
03-30-2016, 07:09 PM
Whoa . . . slow down. You guys may have all woke up in tents this morning because the head cheerleader looked your way in the hall, but she wasn't smiling at you, and she sure as hail isn't going out with you. You may have had a shot years ago before she filled out and you got zits, but those days are gone. So do yourself a favor and be happy with Darla over in Room B1G. I'm telling you this as a friend.

gwhinwi
03-30-2016, 08:12 PM
Whoa . . . slow down. You guys may have all woke up in tents this morning because the head cheerleader looked your way in the hall, but she wasn't smiling at you, and she sure as hail isn't going out with you. You may have had a shot years ago before she filled out and you got zits, but those days are gone. So do yourself a favor and be happy with Darla over in Room B1G. I'm telling you this as a friend.

Darla was definitely NOT impressed when I showed up to the last party drinking paint thinner. I'll take my chances with the new cheerleader, rumor has it... she's into it.

Gurtholfin
03-30-2016, 08:32 PM
This whole thing is surreal.

Years of neglect and now "Welcome Home."

Somebody hired someone really good to run this and gave them a nice budget.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-30-2016, 08:54 PM
I wish I knew where this was years ago, but I won't complain. I'm just glad to see what I'm seeing.

NEWI Badger Fan
03-30-2016, 09:10 PM
I wish I knew where this was years ago, but I won't complain. I'm just glad to see what I'm seeing.

Who is this guy and what have they done to Barry. :D:p

Truly is "A Great Day For Hockey".

Seems like Kunin and Besse will be back based on their comments. That being said never say never.....

MadCityRich
03-30-2016, 09:26 PM
Hey guys, I just watched the presser in it's entirety. That condition I mentioned yesterday that I've had since Sunday morning? It just got more intense. :eek: :D :) :p

Timothy A
03-30-2016, 09:36 PM
Hey guys, I just watched the presser in it's entirety. That condition I mentioned yesterday that I've had since Sunday morning? It just got more intense. :eek: :D :) :p

I just watched it all as well and I have the same problem! I wanna run through a brick wall right now. I feel as euphoric as I did when the gals won the wcha tourney and regular season titles this year or the lads won the B6 tourney in 2014.

Wisko McBadgerton
03-30-2016, 09:41 PM
This whole thing is surreal.

No kidding. It feels like the last couple years never happened.

I mean they did didn't they? I am getting a little hazy on it... Umm...Just to clarify things a little for me... Are you guys absolutely sure we didn't beat Sue and the Goofs and win the title in 2014? And then Eaves retired a hero and now we're just moving on with our world class program?

I'm a Hockey Guy!

It's all weirding me out a little. :eek:

Here's a recap of the day with a locker room interview if anyone missed it: http://www.snappytv.com/tc/1636107