UNO 2016 Offseason thread: Going Down in a Blais of Late SeasonMediocrity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNO 2016 Offseason thread: Going Down in a Blais of Late SeasonMediocrity

Might as well start this thread now since a team doesn't get to got to the tourney with one win against a ranked team since the Fall.

A couple of comments to start: Blais has coached 0 playoff series wins since his first season, which overrides my goodwill of lucking into a Frozen Four last year.
    Trev better be paying attention closely because the arena isn't going to pay for itself averaging 4k a game.
    Thank GOD we didn't build it to be 10k seats.
    Last edited by 5thYearFreshman; 03-14-2016, 09:56 AM.
    UNO Maverick fan and Gopher hater, stuck in Husky country...

Re: UNO 2016 Offseason thread: Going Down in a Blais of Late SeasonMediocrity

Originally posted by 5thYearFreshman View Post
    Thank GOD we didn't build it to be 10k seats.
    Precisely. You know how many UNO fans (diehards) were up in arms about the capacity of 7,500. Check out Mavpuck's message board history. It's all over there. And how wrong they were. The arguments were that we were capping the fanbase. That somehow we were going to grow to 10,000, 12,000, 14,000 regulars. It's hockey. In Nebraska. Half the season is under the shadow of the Huskers. "Yeah, but if the team is a perennial contender, the people will come." That's quite the hope to put into a team that is in a loaded conference with foes that have much better traditions in hockey. We couldn't fill the place for North Dakota. I think 7,500 is going to be hard enough to keep nearly full. Especially if we continue our second half collapses like we have in the past few years.

This second half was monumental. A monumental collapse.
    If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

Re: UNO 2016 Offseason thread: Going Down in a Blais of Late Season Mediocrity

PWR Predictor confirms that there is a 0.0% chance that this thread was premature

Comment

Steve Harvey said the PWR said we were going to the frozen 4. Oh Well. Dean needs to go. At the very least jutting needs to go. Interestingly, to date since our season ended there has been no talk from Trev publicly about the future of our coaching staff.
        UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Wanted to give it a few days before I chimed in, but I have to say, that's an outstanding thread title.
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
            Wanted to give it a few days before I chimed in, but I have to say, that's an outstanding thread title.
            Thank you

Comment

Can 4-14 even be considered mediocre?
              Originally posted by SJHovey
              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
              Originally posted by Brenthoven
              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                Can 4-14 even be considered mediocre?
                When your coach's record after Jan 1st is 47-55-10, the standard for mediocre needs to be lowered

And this is all your fault anyway

Comment

When your coach's record after Jan 1st is 47-55-10, the standard for mediocre needs to be lowered

And this is all your fault anyway
                  I also wrote off Duluth 3 or 4 weeks ago and they have proven me wrong so far. So if I had that kinda power i would definitely rather use it on Duluth.
                  Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                  We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

From the Omaha World Herald

http://www.omaha.com/uno/mavericks-e...1fa69cd26.html

“I think this team, next year, has the potential to be an NCAA champion. That’s what I think, with the recruits that we have coming in. We’re losing the three seniors, but I’m happy with the talent level. We’re just a young team. We’ve just got to grow up, get older.”
                    Senility is setting in or Blais just fired a shot across the bow of his returning players. Or he thinks his job is in danger and Trev doesn't know much about hockey

Comment

From the Omaha World Herald

http://www.omaha.com/uno/mavericks-e...1fa69cd26.html

Senility is setting in or Blais just fired a shot across the bow of his returning players. Or he thinks his job is in danger and Trev doesn't know much about hockey
                      Are Guentzel and Ortega both coming back for the senior seasons for sure? Weninger seems like a serviceable goalie but he's going to have to improve quite a bit for your team to stop the second half collapses.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU BlackandRed View Post
                        Are Guentzel and Ortega both coming back for the senior seasons for sure? Weninger seems like a serviceable goalie but he's going to have to improve quite a bit for your team to stop the second half collapses.
                        UNO expects both to be back. The way Ortega faded at the end of the season, I am guessing he will be back. Ortega is a free agent though, so if someone comes in and throws some cash his way, who knows? Guentzel is likely to come back because his parents want him to finish his degree, but he would be the most likely of the two to depart.

Weninger will be better next year (was great before his injury), but I think his team needs to back him up a little better and not let guys run him over every third SOG. UNO is putting a lot of hope in Kris Oldham from the Omaha Lancers helping shore up the goalie rotation for next year. Thompson will likely be the odd man out next year, though Blankenburg could be as well, with Thompson being a Senior. That way, the logjam at G solves itself after next season.

Comment

News Flash: UNO is still not in the tourney

Comment

It looks like Guentzel is indeed leaving UNO...Wonder how Blais feels about the "NCAA Champs" possibility now

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...-ato/n-5113829

Comment

It looks like Guentzel is indeed leaving UNO...Wonder how Blais feels about the "NCAA Champs" possibility now

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...-ato/n-5113829
                              I would imagine, not as good.

Comment

Working...
                              X