PDA

View Full Version : UNO 2016 Offseason thread: Going Down in a Blais of Late SeasonMediocrity

Pages : [1] 2

5thYearFreshman
03-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Might as well start this thread now since a team doesn't get to got to the tourney with one win against a ranked team since the Fall.

A couple of comments to start: Blais has coached 0 playoff series wins since his first season, which overrides my goodwill of lucking into a Frozen Four last year.
Trev better be paying attention closely because the arena isn't going to pay for itself averaging 4k a game.
Thank GOD we didn't build it to be 10k seats.

gomavs#1
03-13-2016, 08:00 PM
Thank GOD we didn't build it to be 10k seats.

Precisely. You know how many UNO fans (diehards) were up in arms about the capacity of 7,500. Check out Mavpuck's message board history. It's all over there. And how wrong they were. The arguments were that we were capping the fanbase. That somehow we were going to grow to 10,000, 12,000, 14,000 regulars. It's hockey. In Nebraska. Half the season is under the shadow of the Huskers. "Yeah, but if the team is a perennial contender, the people will come." That's quite the hope to put into a team that is in a loaded conference with foes that have much better traditions in hockey. We couldn't fill the place for North Dakota. I think 7,500 is going to be hard enough to keep nearly full. Especially if we continue our second half collapses like we have in the past few years.

This second half was monumental. A monumental collapse.

5thYearFreshman
03-14-2016, 12:48 PM
PWR Predictor confirms that there is a 0.0% chance that this thread was premature

MAVFANJEFF
03-15-2016, 07:34 PM
Steve Harvey said the PWR said we were going to the frozen 4. Oh Well. Dean needs to go. At the very least jutting needs to go. Interestingly, to date since our season ended there has been no talk from Trev publicly about the future of our coaching staff.

SCSU Euro
03-15-2016, 07:39 PM
Wanted to give it a few days before I chimed in, but I have to say, that's an outstanding thread title.

5thYearFreshman
03-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Wanted to give it a few days before I chimed in, but I have to say, that's an outstanding thread title.

Thank you

Tipsy McStagger
03-16-2016, 04:19 PM
Can 4-14 even be considered mediocre?

5thYearFreshman
03-17-2016, 08:25 AM
Can 4-14 even be considered mediocre?

When your coach's record after Jan 1st is 47-55-10, the standard for mediocre needs to be lowered

And this is all your fault anyway

Tipsy McStagger
03-17-2016, 09:09 AM
When your coach's record after Jan 1st is 47-55-10, the standard for mediocre needs to be lowered

And this is all your fault anyway

I also wrote off Duluth 3 or 4 weeks ago and they have proven me wrong so far. So if I had that kinda power i would definitely rather use it on Duluth.

5thYearFreshman
03-18-2016, 11:01 AM
From the Omaha World Herald

http://www.omaha.com/uno/mavericks-end-season-on-slide-but-youth-offers-promise/article_f0656fb0-610f-56a0-99fa-dad1fa69cd26.html

“I think this team, next year, has the potential to be an NCAA champion. That’s what I think, with the recruits that we have coming in. We’re losing the three seniors, but I’m happy with the talent level. We’re just a young team. We’ve just got to grow up, get older.”

Senility is setting in or Blais just fired a shot across the bow of his returning players. Or he thinks his job is in danger and Trev doesn't know much about hockey

SCSU BlackandRed
03-18-2016, 11:13 AM

http://www.omaha.com/uno/mavericks-end-season-on-slide-but-youth-offers-promise/article_f0656fb0-610f-56a0-99fa-dad1fa69cd26.html

Senility is setting in or Blais just fired a shot across the bow of his returning players. Or he thinks his job is in danger and Trev doesn't know much about hockey

Are Guentzel and Ortega both coming back for the senior seasons for sure? Weninger seems like a serviceable goalie but he's going to have to improve quite a bit for your team to stop the second half collapses.

5thYearFreshman
03-18-2016, 02:52 PM
Are Guentzel and Ortega both coming back for the senior seasons for sure? Weninger seems like a serviceable goalie but he's going to have to improve quite a bit for your team to stop the second half collapses.

UNO expects both to be back. The way Ortega faded at the end of the season, I am guessing he will be back. Ortega is a free agent though, so if someone comes in and throws some cash his way, who knows? Guentzel is likely to come back because his parents want him to finish his degree, but he would be the most likely of the two to depart.

Weninger will be better next year (was great before his injury), but I think his team needs to back him up a little better and not let guys run him over every third SOG. UNO is putting a lot of hope in Kris Oldham from the Omaha Lancers helping shore up the goalie rotation for next year. Thompson will likely be the odd man out next year, though Blankenburg could be as well, with Thompson being a Senior. That way, the logjam at G solves itself after next season.

5thYearFreshman
03-21-2016, 09:27 AM
News Flash: UNO is still not in the tourney

5thYearFreshman
03-22-2016, 09:54 AM
It looks like Guentzel is indeed leaving UNO...Wonder how Blais feels about the "NCAA Champs" possibility now

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/penguins-sign-jake-guentzel-to-ato/n-5113829

Tipsy McStagger
03-22-2016, 09:55 AM
It looks like Guentzel is indeed leaving UNO...Wonder how Blais feels about the "NCAA Champs" possibility now

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/penguins-sign-jake-guentzel-to-ato/n-5113829

I would imagine, not as good.

gomavs#1
03-24-2016, 03:06 PM
I would imagine, not as good.

You underestimate the optimism of our coach.

gomavs#1
03-24-2016, 03:08 PM

Well, this was supposedly the year we were going to get it done (ask RedCows, oh wait). Not sure how next year would be a better situation. Now with Jake gone....yeah, I hope Evan is ready to have 20 shutouts.

joecct
03-30-2016, 07:03 PM

He fired his assistants today.

4four4
04-02-2016, 02:48 PM

If Blais doesn't start winning decisions like this means he is closer to being fired. This reminds me of Eaves last year.

5thYearFreshman
04-04-2016, 12:07 PM
Dean will retire before he is fired. It will be interesting to see how Trev handles hiring a hockey coach considering that there isn't a Dean Blais out there wallowing in the USHL