Nanooks @ Huskies - Round 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nanooks @ Huskies - Round 3

If the games two weeks ago were any indication, this is going to be a great series. And with the Nanooks returning captain and leading scorer Tyler Morley, as well as dynamic rookie John Mullally. It came down to the last play both games last time, I don't expect this weekend to be any different...

Except the results...
    Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Re: Nanooks @ Huskies - Round 3

This has the potential to be a very interesting matchup. Looking forward to it. Nooks have nothing to lose, so why not have some fun.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Who knows what will happen? Fairbanks played hard and stretched Tech last time ... is healthier now ... and anything can happen in playoff hockey. Last year Huntsville took us to a 1-0 triple OT game on Friday night. I'm expecting to see some good hockey this weekend at the MacInnes ...

With the same result ...

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
        With the same result ...
        Agree to disagree?
        Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
          Agree to disagree?
          Sure ... wouldn't want it any other way. Go Huskies!

Comment

I have a feeling one of the game will go to OT, and that UA_ could win a game but I'm still predicting a sweep. The way the last series went should go a long way toward preventing complacency from the Huskies and make sure they're focused on the moment.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

This season’s Huskies are a better team than the Nooks. But not so much better that we can’t steal a game and maybe a series this weekend if we play hard and smart.

Originally posted by mmf View Post
              That’s about as bad as I have seen us play in a long, long, time. When Tech wasn’t making us look bad we had no problem doing it on our own. Energy, effort, passing, toughness, smart decision making, pride,…where art thou? It's not that we lost, it's how we lost...
              Above is my USCHO comment after our Nov 27 home game against MTU. It truly was a poor effort by the Nooks that night. Lost 4-1 and were outshot 33-15. Injuries and/or discipline issues left us without the services of Weiss, Burns, Woods, Hajdukovich, and Mullally that night. Those being disciplined really let the team down, and might be the reason for the poor team performance.

Saturday we had a better effort. We lost 3-1 but shots were even. We were without the services of Weiss, Woods, Hajdukovich, Munson, and Mullally. In our Februray series at MTU we were without the services of T. Morley and Mullally. So hopefully everybody we expect to play can play in the playoffs.

Nobody gives us much of a chance in this series. MTU fans are spending all their time predicting their pairwise after they sweep us. I hope their team is also thinking that way. Our team should finally have a fairly full rooster against Tech. The boys should be loose. All the pressure is on MTU.

Skate hard all game, stay loose but aggressive, limit turnovers at our blue line, forsake the poke check and take the man, trust your teammate to have your back. The Nooks have nothing to lose. We got this.

Go Nooks!

Comment

This season’s Huskies are a better team than the Nooks. But not so much better that we can’t steal a game and maybe a series this weekend if we play hard and smart.

Above is my USCHO comment after our Nov 27 home game against MTU. It truly was a poor effort by the Nooks that night. Lost 4-1 and were outshot 33-15. Injuries and/or discipline issues left us without the services of Weiss, Burns, Woods, Hajdukovich, and Mullally that night. Those being disciplined really let the team down, and might be the reason for the poor team performance.

Saturday we had a better effort. We lost 3-1 but shots were even. We were without the services of Weiss, Woods, Hajdukovich, Munson, and Mullally. In our Februray series at MTU we were without the services of T. Morley and Mullally. So hopefully everybody we expect to play can play in the playoffs.

Nobody gives us much of a chance in this series. MTU fans are spending all their time predicting their pairwise after they sweep us. I hope their team is also thinking that way. Our team should finally have a fairly full rooster against Tech. The boys should be loose. All the pressure is on MTU.

Skate hard all game, stay loose but aggressive, limit turnovers at our blue line, forsake the poke check and take the man, trust your teammate to have your back. The Nooks have nothing to lose. We got this.

Go Nooks!

I don't argue that with the fact that UA_ could steal a game and even the series this weekend, I just don't think it will happen. Beating any team 6 times in a row in one season isn't easy.
                Overall, I think this is the most contested WCHA tournament in years. I think at least 2 of these series could go three games and all of them could.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

MTU fans are spending all their time predicting their pairwise after they sweep us. I hope their team is also thinking that way.
                  Mmmm ... I think maybe you forgot that that the "T" in MTU stands for Technological. There are some guys that just love to crunch numbers and check possibilities. Actually, the fascination with the Pairwise shows that Tech in not taking anything for granted ... we're just hoping for a chance to make the NCAAs if someone else takes the Broadmoor. No way the team or Husky fans see this weekend as anything but a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                    Mmmm ... I think maybe you forgot that that the "T" in MTU stands for Technological. There are some guys that just love to crunch numbers and check possibilities. Actually, the fascination with the Pairwise shows that Tech in not taking anything for granted ... we're just hoping for a chance to make the NCAAs if someone else takes the Broadmoor. No way the team or Husky fans see this weekend as anything but a challenge.
                    There is a big difference between us predicting a sweep and giving UA_ no chance. As I said, I'm not thrilled about getting matched up with Alaska after the way things went two weeks ago, but I wouldn't have wanted LSSU either. Alaska-Anchorage swept MTU earlier...not like there really is a "good" option for this matchup. Michigan Tech will certainly respect their opponent despite the season sweep. Myself and others are just trying to see where we can get tech in the PWR, we all know that MTU isn't going anywhere if they don't win this series, and I'm sure the players are well aware of that...not to mention that they'll have to play better than they did in the last series to actually win this thing.

Comment

Don’t read too much into my pairwise comment. The Nooks are definitely underdogs. There are good reasons why we only won 8 conference games and they can’t all be overcome by playing hard. Every favored team guards against looking ahead in first round playoff games and all underdogs hope they do. The bottom line message to our boys is skate hard all game and anything can happen.

P.S. - I'm a retired accountant so I realize that numbers are our friends. Crunch away.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Tech should win this without too many issues, but the Nanooks finally came into their own over the last few weeks of the season. Both Morleys, Justin Woods, and Alec Hajdukovich have all been playing really well lately. Plus Davis Jones is, all of a sudden, playing the most consistent goaltending of his career.

My guess is one of the first two games goes OT and I wouldn't be surprised to see it get to a game 3, but Tech is deeper than we are and that will likely be the difference.
                        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

We're doing coveritlive for the game tonight with THG moderators..join us:
                          https://t.co/DD5clVmsN7

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            Both Morleys, Justin Woods, and Alec Hajdukovich have all been playing really well lately. Plus Davis Jones is, all of a sudden, playing the most consistent goaltending of his career.

My guess is one of the first two games goes OT and I wouldn't be surprised to see it get to a game 3
                            Leave it to a nook to jinx his own team.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                              Leave it to a nook to jinx his own team.
                              I hear the Palmer golf course is already open. Shouldn't your guys be out there?

Comment

Working...
                              X