Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    I know there are some strong rumors and the results are anyone's guess but a few comments.
    ASU is a really big school, but the academics are not on par with the B1G, honestly. It's just a huge party school. So i'm not sure it fits in from that perspective, but from a major sports and Athletic dept perspective it does. From an ego perspective it does. They do have some good recruits coming, IF they all stay, given the turmoil in the program. ( I wouldn't), but they are definitely a ways from being competitive in any league, even the B1G.
    I don't see ND moving, though anything is possible. Maybe ND moves to the NCHC and WMU moves to the WCHA. That would make more sense.Or some iteration of same.
    Yeah, but at least two teams are likely moving to the Big Ten. There's only a very small handful of teams that would actually make the cut. There aren't any AAU members in hockey right now. I'm actually starting to wonder if one of the major club hockey teams in the Big Ten aren't planning on bumping it up. Maryland, Illinois, Iowa, Northwestern. Normally you would hear rumors of a major program entering a sport though.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      A B1G tourney at Yost or Mariucci would potentially be awesome, thank you very much.
      Yes, we all remember how well those NCAA regionals went in AA with 6 teams trying to shoehorn into that sh**hole. Ask Denver how much fun it was to be the #1 seed in the regional and have your locker room across the parking lot in the baseball stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
        The original playoff plan was to have the top two get byes to the semi finals and have 3/6 and 4/5 play a 2 of 3 on campus sites. Then the final tournament would be played at the 1 seed's rink. But Wisconsin complained because they host state finals at Kohl during the week the tournament is held. So now we play in front of half full Xcel's and quarter full JLA's.
        Didn't know about the "original plan;" that's very interesting. But I'm sure OSU would have also objected. The Schott hosts High School Tournaments for three straight weekends at this time of year. Obviously those who play in multi-purpose facilities have different challenges than those who have better control of their home ice.

Still, I know for sure that MN usually had a downturn in sales/turnout for the first round, and sincerely believed that was the case with other comparable schools. Competition from hoops, spring break, etc. Are you really suggesting that the first round was well attended in EL & AA?

Clearly there's a major issue attendance issue with the current format. So I'm not saying the old way was worse than the status quo, only that going back isn't tempting either.

Comment

Didn't know about the "original plan;" that's very interesting. But I'm sure OSU would have also objected. The Schott hosts High School Tournaments for three straight weekends at this time of year. Obviously those who play in multi-purpose facilities have different challenges than those who have better control of their home ice.

Still, I know for sure that MN usually had a downturn in sales/turnout for the first round, and sincerely believed that was the case with other comparable schools. Competition from hoops, spring break, etc. Are you really suggesting that the first round was well attended in EL & AA?

Clearly there's a major issue attendance issue with the current format. So I'm not saying the old way was worse than the status quo, only that going back isn't tempting either.
          I think part of the problem is that it's new, everyone in the conference kind of sucks, and there's still a lot of bitterness about the BTCH in general.
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
            Yes, we all remember how well those NCAA regionals went in AA with 6 teams trying to shoehorn into that sh**hole. Ask Denver how much fun it was to be the #1 seed in the regional and have your locker room across the parking lot in the baseball stadium.
            I suspected you'd check in with this, and that's fine. In responding to Scarlet, I wasn't pretending to offer a fully developed plan. I dunno; maybe only the Top 4 teams make the playoffs. Whatever.

What I do know is that holding post-season games in front of vast numbers of empty seats, in a mausoleum atmosphere, is an absolutely awful situation that needs to end.

Might as well get the next point of conflict into the record, right up front. When we've had this conversation regarding regionals, you've been adamant about the need for a burdensome set of practice timeslots -- both upon arrival and morning skates. Not doubting the need for the ice time, but I would think that at a conference rink, members could be more flexible about which ice surface. They're already familiar with the main facility, have already played there during the same season.

The logistical problems are real, but there just have to be compromise options better than the status quo.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I think part of the problem is that it's new, everyone in the conference kind of sucks, and there's still a lot of bitterness about the BTCH in general.
              I get this and mostly agree. For that reason, maybe New Red Wings Arena + Growth Over Time is actually a viable strategy. We can hope.

Comment

Since the CCHA always had some kind of on campus games, Michigan has been putting first round games at home in the season ticket package. At least for as long as I've been getting tickets- 1990. If they were not used (as three were in the pack) you could get a refund or donate the value. So because of that, the the home tournament games were sold out really well.

And given what we see on Thursday, I really would like to see that down to a 2 night weekend. The new Joe isn't going to help.

Comment

One thing to add- in terms of the tournament. The Big 10 needs to do a better job working with the host city to promote the tournament.

I constantly wanted the CCHA to do more here in Detroit, but at least they went out and engaged businesses who then got tickets out. They could have done more to promote Detroit as a host and a destination (yes, there is stuff to see and do, especially when you should only need to cover a Saturday 10-5pm or so).

The Big 10 should be doing more to promote St. Paul and Detroit as the hosts, and do a better job advertising locally. Nobody knows this is going on, so nobody goes. Let alone comes to town to watch.

The Big 10 seems more interested in the BTN instead of the schools and the immediate fans. Which sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    I know there are some strong rumors and the results are anyone's guess but a few comments.
                    ASU is a really big school, but the academics are not on par with the B1G, honestly. It's just a huge party school. So i'm not sure it fits in from that perspective.
                    ASU undergrad actually ranks higher than Rutgers, and their grad school programs (Education, Business, Fine Arts, etc.) all basically rank from top 10 to top 30 in the nation. They have the strong academic reputation in both the undergrad and grad programs that the Big Ten requires. Although you are right it is somewhat a party school...but what major college or university isn't today (with the exception of the "dry campus" I teach at )?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      ASU as a school is far more like all of the B1G schools than ANY other school that plays hockey. And just as important, the athletic department is far more like B1G schools than any other school- with the possible exception of ND, BC, UConn and the MAC schools. And with the long historic connection to the B1G- it makes WAY more sense for them to be put with the B1G than the NCHC or the WCHA.
                      Maybe for the conferences. But I bet the schools (MN, MI, etc) want what their athletic department wants...and the athletic department wants what the hockey programs want. I don't think a 'like minded institution' carries much weight with Red or Lucia when the puck is dropped. In fact in an interview from January, Lucia says he'd prefer to go to 8 and that schools would be included 'in the footprint'. Again the conferences will make this decision...but I see no evidence that that's the feeling of the individual schools involved.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Hockey will not put the BTN on any more TVs. You're delusional if you actually think that. The gophers are barely pulling in 30-70k viewers.
                      The post actually said:

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      I think it attracts like no eye balls.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

Maybe for the conferences. But I bet the schools (MN, MI, etc) want what their athletic department wants...and the athletic department wants what the hockey programs want. I don't think a 'like minded institution' carries much weight with Red or Lucia when the puck is dropped. In fact in an interview from January, Lucia says he'd prefer to go to 8 and that schools would be included 'in the footprint'. Again the conferences will make this decision...but I see no evidence that that's the feeling of the individual schools involved.

The post actually said:
                        D'oh
                        Code:

Comment

Well, actually, you said:
                          The B1G gets some TV sets in AZ (and possibly other places in the SW)...maybe moves BTN to another tier.
                          Maybe it gets a few eyeballs, but virtually none that don't already have an expensive sports package. The BTN is not moving to a different tier because of hockey.
                          Code:

Comment

I just don't see the point in adding only one team. Going to seven means one team is always on a bye and then you would have to go to a strange post season format including:

1) Keep it the same, last place team doesn't make it (I would be fine with this).
                            2) Change it to campus sites first round, top seed gets a bye. 2 thru 7 play best of three.
                            3) Final Five format. Top three get byes, 4 thru 7 play best of three.
                            4) Other; including keeping the tournament format, playing three games Day 1 with only the top seed getting a bye, etc.

There has to be a second team there. Honestly, I wouldn't mind adding ASU and the MAC schools. Creates an all-D1 conference with ten teams.
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                              I just don't see the point in adding only one team. Going to seven means one team is always on a bye and then you would have to go to a strange post season format including:

1) Keep it the same, last place team doesn't make it (I would be fine with this).
                              2) Change it to campus sites first round, top seed gets a bye. 2 thru 7 play best of three.
                              3) Final Five format. Top three get byes, 4 thru 7 play best of three.
                              4) Other; including keeping the tournament format, playing three games Day 1 with only the top seed getting a bye, etc.

There has to be a second team there. Honestly, I wouldn't mind adding ASU and the MAC schools. Creates an all-D1 conference with ten teams.
                              There is at least two teams.
                              Code:

Comment

Not sure why you think the what the coaches think matters. It's what the AD's think.

ASU means a good backing with lots of money, a good base of alumni and fans, etc. And I don't think it's about the hockey playing AD's, but all of them.

It's also that ASU would be a major odd one out- and the #1 financial driver in any other conference.

This may be about a hockey team, but ASU could easily dominate based on their size and money in terms of conference discussions. Besides, when going to an ASU hockey game, as good as North Dakota, UNO, Denver et al are- with a serious lack of history at ASU, none of those mean a thing. Heck, even OSU means something to ASU.

I'm sure tDon wants 8 real B1G schools, and I agree with him. But this is about the immediate future and ASU.

Comment

Working...
                                X