Big Ten 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
    Ferris just completed a $1.5 mil hockey endowment. They're fine.
    http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/s...20160304f0ympb
    I didn't say they'd fold. I said it'll be tight once more big boys learn how to play. I'm talking DISTANT future.
    ---
    National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
    Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
    19 Conference Championships
    10 Conference Tournament Championships
    2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

• Re: Big Ten 2015-2016

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
      I didn't say they'd fold. I said it'll be tight once more big boys learn how to play. I'm talking DISTANT future.
      ?
      no, you said "the distant future looks grim financially".
      obviously an endowment is designed to prepare for the financial future. they'll be fine.
      Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 • SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by Meese View Post
        I was also bummed to see the low turnout for the tournament. As a fan of Ferris State (I grew up in Big Rapids, there was nothing else to do but watch hockey) and an Alumni and fan of Michigan State, I watched the formation of the Hockey Death Star with the same wariness as everyone else. Unfortunately, I think the biggest problem is that hockey fans aren't the same as football or basketball fans. I'm pretty sure none of use think twice about making a trip to a game or forking over the cash to see our teams play. However, hockey doesn't really have the number of casual fans that other sports do. I think the previous tournaments were established enough on their own and geographically positioned for attendance to not be as much of a problem but I'm not sure how the Big 10 (and other leagues) will figure this problem out. Which is a bummer because the hockey that is played is good hockey. It would just be nice if people came to see it...
        I can also say that, at least in Minnesota, there is some serious sourness about Big 10 hockey in particular, and the money grab/general direction of the program in general (and no, not the direction of the competitiveness).

I think that was very evident tonight, and was evident at Mariucci all season.
        Anecdotally, I personally know 4 parties who dropped their season tickets and directly cited the conference as the reason. One was the first year the Big 10 formed, the others lasted 1 and 2 seasons. These were people that held season tickets for 10-30 years.
        We've heard a lot of people say, "the Big 10 is here. Get over it and stop complaining. If you can't do that maybe you should stop being a fan."
        Well, sadly, a number of people have chosen the latter.

It's hard for me to picture those people I know coming back. That's not to say the Big 10 and the Univ. of MN are doomed to lower fan interest in perpetuity, but they are going to have to be proactive and SMART about regrowing the fan base. Unfortunately it is becoming increasingly clear that the conference doesn't get that. It doesn't get what so many people loved about college hockey, and it doesn't get what set it apart from other NCAA sports.

I have a bit more optimism in the UMN, but they are going to be somewhat limited by what the conference as a whole chooses to do.

Comment

If fans stop coming because you are playing MSU, OSU, PSU, and Michigan instead of Tech, North Dakota, Minnesota State, etc- that's fine with me.

Just as I'm ok with any Michigan fan going away because we are playing Minnesota, Wisconsin, and now PSU instead of Western, Miami, Ferris, etc...

To me, that's a weak reason to stop watching. And have no reason to try to get them back.

Fans leaving because of high prices or bad play- that should be fixed.

I will admit one thing- Minnesota and Wisconsin have a lot more history with Tech, CC, Denver, ND than we do with Ferris, OSU, etc. But we actually have the same history with those teams. As does State.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            If fans stop coming because you are playing MSU, OSU, PSU, and Michigan instead of Tech, North Dakota, Minnesota State, etc- that's fine with me.

Just as I'm ok with any Michigan fan going away because we are playing Minnesota, Wisconsin, and now PSU instead of Western, Miami, Ferris, etc...

To me, that's a weak reason to stop watching. And have no reason to try to get them back.

I will admit one thing- Minnesota and Wisconsin have a lot more history with Tech, CC, Denver, ND than we do with Ferris, OSU, etc. But we actually have the same history with those teams. As does State.
            A lot of it is indeed pricing. I've mentioned before, and I'll mention it again: $35 for an SRO ticket against someone called BSU is just insane. Against "marquee" teams like WI/tUMD/etc, it jumps to $45 for SRO. Yeah.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
              I can also say that, at least in Minnesota, there is some serious sourness about Big 10 hockey in particular, and the money grab/general direction of the program in general (and no, not the direction of the competitiveness).

I think that was very evident tonight, and was evident at Mariucci all season.
              Anecdotally, I personally know 4 parties who dropped their season tickets and directly cited the conference as the reason. One was the first year the Big 10 formed, the others lasted 1 and 2 seasons. These were people that held season tickets for 10-30 years.
              We've heard a lot of people say, "the Big 10 is here. Get over it and stop complaining. If you can't do that maybe you should stop being a fan."
              Well, sadly, a number of people have chosen the latter.

It's hard for me to picture those people I know coming back. That's not to say the Big 10 and the Univ. of MN are doomed to lower fan interest in perpetuity, but they are going to have to be proactive and SMART about regrowing the fan base. Unfortunately it is becoming increasingly clear that the conference doesn't get that. It doesn't get what so many people loved about college hockey, and it doesn't get what set it apart from other NCAA sports.

I have a bit more optimism in the UMN, but they are going to be somewhat limited by what the conference as a whole chooses to do.

Same experience here. Our group of five on Friday night has dwindled to three. Two couples in the same section who had both Friday and Saturday night tickets for decades have dropped out. We see them occasionally now, like when we play Minnesota. My wife and I are under active discussion about keeping both nights. I'm for dropping to one night but she wants to retain both. So far she's got her way, and I am reluctant to leave. But people are doing what some here urge; they are leaving.

Things change. That's life. But it is sad seeing what has happened to attendance. We had something special.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
                They're a great team, and they proved it tonight. With the Gophers season now over I will be cheering for Michigan all the way as a matter of conference pride.
                I wonder how many times this was posted by MN posters about UND when Mn and UND were in the WCHA together? But don't worry. You can already feel that Michigan-Minnesota hate growing.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  I wonder how many times this was posted by MN posters about UND when Mn and UND were in the WCHA together? But don't worry. You can already feel that Michigan-Minnesota hate growing.
                  I have no conference loyalty. If it ain't my team, I don't really give two craps who wins. I have preferences, sure, but won't be rah-rah-ing any other team.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    I have no conference loyalty. If it ain't my team, I don't really give two craps who wins. I have preferences, sure, but won't be rah-rah-ing any other team.
                    Since the two teams have different recruiting bases I'll be (mildly) pulling for Michigan, if only to stem the tide of people bashing the conference. If they were to go one-and-done it would only give the haters and complainers more reason to hate and complain. Sometimes you just have to make the best of a less-than-ideal situation, and right now the Wolverines are carrying the B1G Flag.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      Very rarely. I for one won't be cheering for Michigan and I suspect that is more the norm. Of course you could have asked the same question about UND fans toward UM in the NCAAs many years ago but that wouldn't fit your narrative...

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        Gophers vs. UND was a toxic rivalry that always brought out the absolute worst behavior in fans (on both sides) and sometimes players (Joe Finley, Ben Blood). Minnesota/Michigan is a much better rivalry based on competitiveness within the context of teams/fans sharing mutual respect for each other. Essentially it is a case of good sportsmanship > poor sportsmanship.
                        National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
                        National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

The history plays a role, but it is much more nuanced than just that. Proximity of teams, presence of a number of different fan bases within the Twin Cities Metro and all that carries with it, the ability to watch a number of Minnesota kids (kids you have followed and watched through high school or who grew up down the block from you) on both benches, the dismantling of what many Gopher fans perceived as the greatest conference (for many of the reasons just stated) in all of college sports...

It's not JUST the lack of interest in teams like Ohio St, Penn St, Mi St. There were schools that carried little interest within the WCHA, too.
                          No. There is a sense of betrayal and atrocity in taking a wrecking ball to something so many people loved, I think, that is not easily gotten over.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion that fans who want to leave aren't worth your time. Unfortunately, there are A LOT of fans who have chosen to do so, and simply writing them off or ignoring/misunderstanding the reasons why they left isn't going to make anything better.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
                            Gophers vs. UND was a toxic rivalry that always brought out the absolute worst behavior in fans (on both sides) and sometimes players (Joe Finley, Ben Blood). Minnesota/Michigan is a much better rivalry based on competitiveness within the context of teams/fans sharing mutual respect for each other. Essentially it is a case of good sportsmanship > poor sportsmanship.
                            Speedy, you are obviously far far too young to have much of an understanding of the historical rivalry between UMinn and UND. If you aren't extremely young, you lack in maturity what you do not lack in years. You are eager, that much is obvious; beyond that, you have little to say.

That said, the Big Ten will be fine. UW will be back, and the other teams will improve over time as well.

Comment

I was taken aback at the TV ad they were running the inaugural season of the Big Ten conference. It highlighted "Tradition". My thought was are you clueless or are you mocking us? I assumed the former, but I wouldn't discount the later.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                                Speedy, you are obviously far far too young to have much of an understanding of the historical rivalry between UMinn and UND. If you aren't extremely young, you lack in maturity what you do not lack in years. You are eager, that much is obvious; beyond that, you have little to say.

That said, the Big Ten will be fine. UW will be back, and the other teams will improve over time as well.
                                I'm 45 years old, burd. I grew up in Grand Forks. Trust me, I know from firsthand experience what I'm talking about when I say it was a toxic rivalry. I understand and appreciate the significance of the product on the ice going all the way back to the Herb Brooks and Gino Gasparini years, but the boorish behavior by fans on both sides had escalated from generation to generation to the point where I am glad that they no longer play regularly.
                                National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
                                National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Working...
                                X