PDA

View Full Version : A New Coach for UMass...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

sk8tronthepond
03-12-2016, 10:10 AM
I don't know if you guys saw this article http://www.masslive.com/umasshockey/index.ssf/2016/03/umass_ad_ryan_bamford_to_head.html

Has Bennett as frontrunner but I think Rick would have got the job already if he was getting it. He's not playing, hometown boy, etc etc. etc. The deal with Rick is that spectacle he put on vs RPI a couple of years ago, when he punched an opposing player. Do you give the reins to a program in flux to a coach who has issues??? Question is, can he win w/out Nate's players that Leahman recruited? Answer is, not yet.

Will you quit spreading manure! It was not directed towards any player.

Chuck Murray
03-12-2016, 11:03 AM
working to find out more, but it is not a name that has been previously mentioned yet. a little shocking if it is true

Well it must be a coach not still playing----and they want to make a big splash---how about a guy near 600 wins. ;)

Maybe even a lame duck with his replacement already in place, and has been in the mix for the UMA job before?

AspyDad
03-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Will you quit spreading manure! It was not directed towards any player.

Spreading the truth!! Finding it funny that a person who has accused me in the past of being an apologist for someone would be an apologist for Rick and his less than desirable conduct.

Wardy
03-15-2016, 09:04 PM
Wow Wardy makes an appearance. :eek:

I was thinking the same thing!!!! :eek:

::waves:: Hi Wardy!

Welcome back! You look sorta dusty! :D

Blast from the past!! :)

I'm like the Undertaker. Back from the dead. :D

Between Phd classes, 3 jobs, and family UMass hockey has kinda taken a back seat in the last few years. I still watched from afar mostly through the great Fear The Triangle blog. My hope is that Bamford really gives the program a shot in the arm with the next hire and get UMass hockey back to drawing 5-6K per night at Mullins and diaspora fans like myself making annual pilgrimages back to Amherst for weekend doubleheaders.

Split-N
03-15-2016, 09:52 PM
Wait. Someone wants to make a pilgrimage to Amherst??

Chuck Murray
03-16-2016, 08:27 AM

Could be worse ... imagine a pilgrimage to Lowell? Orono?? Schenectady??? :eek:

joecct
03-16-2016, 10:19 AM

I hear Amherst College plays a pretty good brand of hockey. Coach has been there for a while too. Needs a nickname though.

ticapnews
03-16-2016, 01:26 PM
Mike McMahon (https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahonCHN) tweeted the following just now

According to several sources, UMass is interested in talking to "at least one current Hockey East head coach" regarding its HC opening.
One source suggested a conversation, at least a preliminary one, has already taken place.

Let the Jerry York to UMass speculation begin!

J.D.
03-16-2016, 01:29 PM
umass would be considered a step up from? merrimack? dennehy is former assistant. that would be my guess.

UML Puck Hawk
03-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Red Gendron come on down!!!

ticapnews
03-16-2016, 01:33 PM

That would be expensive. Gendron just signed an extension and is under contract for three more years at $210K/year.

tape
03-16-2016, 01:33 PM

I for one welcome Amherst's continued basement-dwelling.

Though I mean I guess 12th to 11th is technically a step up.

UMLFan
03-16-2016, 01:34 PM
I for one welcome Amherst's continued basement-dwelling.
I second that motion!

But welcome back Wardy!

UMLFan
That would be expensive. Gendron just signed an extension and is under contract for three more years at $210K/year.
So you're saying there's a chance!

Runsub5

Take him, please.

cavbim
03-16-2016, 01:35 PM
umass would be considered a step up from? merrimack? dennehy is former assistant. that would be my guess.

That is logical. Any coach with the slightest regard for his present team would not talk to another school till they are eliminated. Why open up any speculation to disrupt your preparations. Such a move to talk to those coaches at this point also would question UMass' integrity.

Add to that Dennehy is one of 2 coaches just eliminated who fits that category of being done this past weekend. Also McMahon's Connection to the Mack program

UML Puck Hawk
03-16-2016, 01:57 PM
So in all seriousness. Clearly we rule out the 4 coaches still in, not only because they are still playing, but because common sense (Madigan would be the only one who you might have considered at Christmas from this group, but hes a NU guy through and through). So that leaves

Jeff Jackson - Obvious no
Dave Quinn - They don't sell his hair gel out in Western Mass
Mark Dennehy - Obvious choice for UMass to at least interview, been discussed pretty thoroughly throughout the thread
Mike Cavanaugh - Is there anything UMass does better than UConn? I guess if Cav wants to learn to flip cars and drink profusely.
Sneddon - This would be interesting, he was extended last summer if I remember correctly. UVM vs UMass is a push
Dick Umile - It'll take at least double the years to reach 600, and according to the UNH thread thats why he is still sticking around anyways
Red Gendron - Just signed an extension

So Dennehy, Gendron, Sneddon?

Tim Whitehead it is!!!:D

J.D.
03-16-2016, 01:59 PM
if Umile is only sticking around to get to 600 wins, shame on him

brassbonanza
03-16-2016, 02:05 PM
The only realistic possibility with respect to Cav would be him deciding he doesn't want to deal with the arena situation at UConn anymore. He's on record already that he's not a fan of having to play in Hartford. That said, I agree the most logical one would be Dennehy.

NU_Husky
03-16-2016, 02:14 PM
So in all seriousness. Clearly we rule out the 4 coaches still in, not only because they are still playing, but because common sense (Madigan would be the only one who you might have considered at Christmas from this group, but hes a NU guy through and through). So that leaves

Jeff Jackson - Obvious no
Dave Quinn - They don't sell his hair gel out in Western Mass
Mark Dennehy - Obvious choice for UMass to at least interview, been discussed pretty thoroughly throughout the thread
Mike Cavanaugh - Is there anything UMass does better than UConn? I guess if Cav wants to learn to flip cars and drink profusely.
Sneddon - This would be interesting, he was extended last summer if I remember correctly. UVM vs UMass is a push
Dick Umile - It'll take at least double the years to reach 600, and according to the UNH thread thats why he is still sticking around anyways
Red Gendron - Just signed an extension

So Dennehy, Gendron, Sneddon?

Tim Whitehead it is!!!:D

*applause* best reason on the list