PDA

View Full Version : A New Coach for UMass...

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Tater
03-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Generally speaking, what is the average of a coaching salary in college hockey?

$373k according to this website. I have no idea where they get their numbers though.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/the-10-highest-paid-coaching-positions-in-college-sports.html/?a=viewall

Drew S.
03-09-2016, 09:50 AM
$373k according to this website. I have no idea where they get their numbers though.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/the-10-highest-paid-coaching-positions-in-college-sports.html/?a=viewall

That probably represents 'total compensation.' I would guess the average salary is somewhere a little north of $200K.

Middle Street
03-09-2016, 09:55 AM
I'm not sure what the average is. I always figured somewhere in the 250k range?

I checked that Herald site, and here is what Norm makes at Lowell:

2015 $321,794.00 Gross Earnings $335,262.00
2014 $323,869.00 (No Gross listed)
2013 $265,750.16 Gross Earnings $289,518.47

He got an extension following the Frozen Four appearance in 2013 to push him over 300k. Not sure how much of his salary is incentive based, he might get more or less for 20 win seasons, NCAA appearances, etc. Maybe even a percentage of ticket sales?

Regardless, if Lowell can afford to pay their coach that kind of coin, why couldn't Amherst? The only reason I can think of is ticket sales.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinion/databases/payroll?database=-2&year=1&last_name=Bazin&department_name=

Agganis
03-09-2016, 10:08 AM
if Lowell can afford to pay their coach that kind of coin, why couldn't Amherst? The only reason I can think of is

I'm sure they can, they just were unable to convince anyone worth that kind of money to take the job last time. Don't need to give Micheletto $300k, when he'd do the job just as well/bad for $200k.

Chuck Murray
03-09-2016, 10:16 AM
I'm sure they can, they just were unable to convince anyone worth that kind of money to take the job last time.

And there's every reason to believe this will be the same problem this time around as well.

J.D.
03-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Believe someone said there is a new AD this time. That helps. Plus failing miserably with micheletto could lead to them bumping up salary even more. Wasn't lowell hockey on the brink of folding towards the end of mcdonald tenure? I really couldn't care less about umass, it's funny to see them suck so bad. But it's a good enough job where they should be a lot better.

Scarlet
03-09-2016, 10:25 AM
Also, I think there was a decided lack of effort the last time, they wound up having to settle, and look where that got them. With a new AD and consecutive sucky years, I would imagine they wouldn't half-*** the search and take it more seriously.

Chuck Murray
03-09-2016, 11:06 AM
Believe someone said there is a new AD this time. That helps. Plus failing miserably with micheletto could lead to them bumping up salary even more. Wasn't lowell hockey on the brink of folding towards the end of mcdonald tenure? I really couldn't care less about umass, it's funny to see them suck so bad. But it's a good enough job where they should be a lot better.

They can bump up the salary all they want ... in the end, they would have to use it to lure someone already succeeding in a job, who when push comes to shove isn't going to use it as leverage with their current employer (i.e. Umile, Pecknold, now possibly Bennett) and will actually arrive on campus to do the job. Otherwise, the big salary is only going to help you maybe with pro retread coaches, who might use your program as a stepping stone, or a weigh station to park at while they try to revive interest in them at the next level.

Realistically, unless UMass catches lightning in a bottle with a quality experienced D-1 head coach who suddenly and unexpectedly becomes available ... their best route is still going to be to find the next Walshy, Leaman, or Bazin before they become that superstar coach. And they won't need huge dollars to get that guy into his first top job. And if it works out, then they will have a battle on their hands to retain that coach long-term. But at least they will have established something, which is something UMass has yet to do in the however many years they've been splashing around in the HE "kiddie pool". Their issue isn't as much dollars as it is lack of any history of success at the program.

Nick Papagiorgio
03-09-2016, 11:49 AM
Generally I agree with Chuck that whatever UMass is going to spend (or not spend) on this next coach is still not going to have a huge bearing in what they accomplish under the coach. This new AD is going to have to do his homework and make the right pick, not throw a lot of money at the situation.

I think they should hire Paul Pooley. He could be a Bill Belichick on his 2nd HC destination. Hiring a Notre Dame assistant worked for football. :D

UMLFan
03-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Wasn't lowell hockey on the brink of folding towards the end of mcdonald tenure?
The only real reason that Lowell was in danger was one particular person who was in charge, who's thought process apparently went "Well, UMass isn't doing well at hockey, we can't have two D1 schools in this state, so we should just shut down the Lowell program, and transfer all their best players over. Yeah, that'll work!"

satking
03-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Why not include Bruce Crowder on the short list, he did a good job in HE and I think he is available

blackswampboy
03-09-2016, 12:54 PM
Regardless, if Lowell can afford to pay their coach that kind of coin, why couldn't Amherst? The only reason I can think of is ticket sales.

FBS football.
The good news for UMass, they won't be getting kicked around by the MAC any more. :cool:

boblav1
03-09-2016, 02:56 PM
Also, I think there was a decided lack of effort the last time, they wound up having to settle, and look where that got them. With a new AD and consecutive sucky years, I would imagine they wouldn't half-*** the search and take it more seriously.

I would think the new AD will try to make a big splash with this hire. The men's hockey and women's basketball jobs are his first major moves at Amherst. The guy has his work cut out for himself, especially with the football program. Apparently the men's basketball coach (http://dailycollegian.com/2016/03/08/ryan-bamford-assures-derek-kelloggs-job-is-safe-in-wake-of-recent-firings/) is safe for now.

Nick Papagiorgio
03-09-2016, 04:00 PM
I would think the new AD will try to make a big splash with this hire. The men's hockey and women's basketball jobs are his first major moves at Amherst. The guy has his work cut out for himself, especially with the football program. Apparently the men's basketball coach (http://dailycollegian.com/2016/03/08/ryan-bamford-assures-derek-kelloggs-job-is-safe-in-wake-of-recent-firings/) is safe for now.

We said the same thing about our new AD a few years back and got an ACC 0fer this season with his two big major moves on the job. :eek: :mad:

riverchief1
03-09-2016, 09:11 PM
The only real reason that Lowell was in danger was one particular person who was in charge, who's thought process apparently went "Well, UMass isn't doing well at hockey, we can't have two D1 schools in this state, so we should just shut down the Lowell program, and transfer all their best players over. Yeah, that'll work!"

This is the dick who tried to shut our program down twice -

https://www.mintz.com/professionals/detail/name/stephen-p-tocco

UML Puck Hawk
03-09-2016, 09:27 PM
This is the dick who tried to shut our program down twice -

https://www.mintz.com/professionals/detail/name/stephen-p-tocco

Hey a new reason to hate Harvard. Alright!

Patman
03-09-2016, 09:42 PM
Hey a new reason to hate Harvard. Alright!

I thought that they aren't in Hockey East was enough

Wardy
03-10-2016, 09:25 PM
The UMass athletics department was driven into the ground by the former AD and the fan involvement has hit an all time apathetic low due to horrific mismanagement and tone deaf relations with the alumni and supporters. Its the athletic department as a whole as UMass once possessed the most dominant men's lacrosse squad east of Syracuse, the best softball team in New England, and of course men's basketball and football all have suffered due to mismanagement and have only recently started showing signs of life again.. There were a few UMass fans like myself who once were very active but have drifted away through apathy, relocation, family and life commitments but still keep an eye on the program from afar. I haven't been able to get to Amherst in 4 years and New England in 2 so I marvel at the commitment of those closest to the program such as Fear The Triangle and others that have kept the faith through these darkest of years. The new AD Bamford is the best thing to happen to UMass since Calipari and is taking the reigns of the coaching search unlike his predecessor I believe won't settle for the 5th or 6th option like last time.

I believe Bamford is looking to put his first true splash in the athletic department with the new hockey head coach and a renewed commitment to the program with the hockey program taking over basketball's former operations facilities at Mullins Center (basketball operations moved to the new Champions Center).

Nick Papagiorgio
03-11-2016, 08:50 AM
Wow Wardy makes an appearance. :eek:

Scarlet
03-11-2016, 08:58 AM
Wow Wardy makes an appearance. :eek:

I was thinking the same thing!!!! :eek:

::waves:: Hi Wardy!