PDA

View Full Version : A New Coach for UMass...

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Runsub5
03-07-2016, 05:43 PM
I just saw where he also fired the women's basketball coach on the same day. Total buy out of over $478K. He's acting swiftly.

mookie1995
03-07-2016, 07:00 PM
Have you seen Schenectedy?

From Springfield, scholarship school, great facilities, system supports big time, Hockey East on and on.

The Memphis King is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. any restaurant in or near amherst :D

Thiessen'sBetter
03-08-2016, 02:04 AM
"Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN Mar 6

Another name UMass could approach is Greg Cronin. I don't get the impression he wants back in the college game, though."

I'm having nightmares of Cronin coming into Matthews and winning with a far less talented team than Madigan has.

Dutchman
03-08-2016, 05:33 AM
I guess he has a puncher's chance at getting the jab... I mean... job.

HE is a step down from the ECAC so I don't think Bennett would be interested :D Also, Bennett's record vs HE is something like 15-3-2 so not much of a challenge here.;)

jcarter7669
03-08-2016, 08:17 AM
Also, Bennett's record vs HE is something like 15-3-2 so not much of a challenge here.;)

So then he could come in and win the league every year ...

jcarter7669
03-08-2016, 08:18 AM
Perhaps they could take our Asst. Coaches again :)

MCWarrior1011
03-08-2016, 08:37 AM
What about Norm Bazin? I know that would send Lowell people to the bridges to jump off. If Meehan is involved a lot, and Meehan loves Norm, what if they offered him a lot more money? I would doubt it happens but just throwing it out there to make Lowell fans bleep bricks :D

tape
03-08-2016, 09:20 AM
Good luck with that.

UML Puck Hawk
03-08-2016, 09:26 AM
What about Norm Bazin? I know that would send Lowell people to the bridges to jump off. If Meehan is involved a lot, and Meehan loves Norm, what if they offered him a lot more money? I would doubt it happens but just throwing it out there to make Lowell fans bleep bricks :D

Meehan was promoted to run the whole system, not just Amherst. With that cleared up can you explain your logic?

Nick Papagiorgio
03-08-2016, 09:30 AM
I'm really struggling to find the positives of this UMass position:

- HE is a great league but that makes it tougher to win especially when the job is at UMass Amherst.
- Facilities? Meh
- Competing directly in a league with 3 Beanpot schools for recruits, now PC is high on everyone's radar, plus Lowell on the rise (for now).
- Location. Meh.
- Education. Meh

Tough job.

QUAlum2004
03-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Possible Candidate list

HC with experience

Tim Whitehead (Kimball Union and former Maine head coach)
Derek Schooley (Robert Morris head coach)
Paul Pearl (former Holy Cross head coach and current Associate Head Coach at Harvard)
Mark Morris (former Clarkson head coach and current Florida Panthers assistant)

Non HC experience

Bill Riga (Quinnipiac)
Joe Dumais (Union)

QUAlum2004
03-08-2016, 09:37 AM
I'm really struggling to find the positives of this UMass position:

- HE is a great league but that makes it tougher to win especially when the job is at UMass Amherst.
- Facilities? Meh
- Competing directly in a league with 3 Beanpot schools for recruits, now PC is high on everyone's radar, plus Lowell on the rise (for now).
- Location. Meh.
- Education. Meh

Tough job.

Definitely an extremely tough sell. Its the 11th or 12th best job in HE. They get leftovers from the Big HE schools and other top schools in the region. There is a reason Rand Pecknold said thanks but no thanks 4 years ago.

Middle Street
03-08-2016, 09:47 AM
There is a reason Rand Pecknold said thanks but no thanks 4 years ago.

Yes and didn't he take that Umass offer and use it to get himself a raise? Well played. It wouldn't surprise me if another coach does the same thing this time around.

Can you imagine the Maine thread if Whitehead were to get the job? Especially if Umass becomes more competitive than Maine? :eek:

Patman
03-08-2016, 09:50 AM
Definitely an extremely tough sell. Its the 11th or 12th best job in HE. They get leftovers from the Big HE schools and other top schools in the region. There is a reason Rand Pecknold said thanks but no thanks 4 years ago.

Who really expected him to leave QU?

Chuck Murray
03-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Yes and didn't he take that Umass offer and use it to get himself a raise? Well played. It wouldn't surprise me if another coach does the same thing this time around.

A certain quasi-legendary HE head coach used the same approach 15 or so years ago.

Besides finishing last on a regular basis, this is apparently what UMass does best ... :D

QUAlum2004
03-08-2016, 10:22 AM
Who really expected him to leave QU?

At the time it was pre QU making the frozen four so who knows. There was alot of good teams but not greats teams and they hadn't made the NCAA's since 2002. He played it well to get a raise out of QU and has made 4 straight NCAA's which will include this year.

Runsub5
03-08-2016, 10:23 AM

Can you imagine the Maine thread if Whitehead were to get the job? Especially if Umass becomes more competitive than Maine? :eek:

That would be awesome!:D:D I don't see Tim leaving Kimball Union just yet. He has total control and "buys all the groceries". Just led Kimball Union to their best season ever with a record of 29-3-1. Lost in the semi-final in the Elite Eight Tournament. Once his children are out of school I could see him leaving.

AMC
03-08-2016, 10:45 AM

Some of us have reached the conclusion that while Whitehead had a bunch of issues that inhibited the program, he wasn't the biggest problem the program had/has.

ScottK
03-08-2016, 11:18 AM

The odds of that happening are the same odds that UMass wins the National Championship....this season.

HHound
03-08-2016, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=Thiessen'sBetter;6290108]"Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN Mar 6

Another name UMass could approach is Greg Cronin. I don't get the impression he wants back in the college game, though."

I'm having nightmares of Cronin coming into Matthews and winning with a far less talented team than Madigan has.[/QUOTE

While I suppose anything is possible, I would be shocked if Greg was interested. Amherst MA would require a radical lifestyle change at this point. For one thing, there is no surf there:cool: