PDA

View Full Version : ECAC Playoffs: RPI @ Harvard 3/11, 3/12, and maybe 3/13

Pages : 1 2 [3]

FreshFish
03-10-2016, 02:00 PM
I don't have the numbers on this, but it appears that we can still make the dance without winning in Lake Placid. I am working on the assumption that to do that, we have to sweep Harvard and beat Quinnipiac in the semis.

You are assuming that Ylae will beat Dartmouth. If Dartmouth beats Ylae, then they will play Quinnipiac in the semis and we will play Ylae.

You are also assuming Quinnipiac will beat Cornell....

Perhaps I will translate the WaP table into English as to who plays whom under what contingency....

lugnut92
03-10-2016, 02:02 PM
You are assuming that Ylae will beat Dartmouth. If Dartmouth beats Ylae, then they will play Quinnipiac in the semis and we will play Ylae.

You are also assuming Quinnipiac will beat Cornell....

Perhaps I will translate the WaP table into English as to who plays whom under what contingency....

I'm not assuming any of that. I'm saying that for us to make the tournament without winning the ECAC tournament, a certain set of outcomes must take place. I was putting forth the outcomes I thought were necessary.

realet
03-10-2016, 03:33 PM
I know that during the regular season, people were ready at any moment to inform us in advance of the effect a win, a loss, or a tie would have on RPI's pairwise ranking.

It's exceptionally simple. Wins help. Losses hurt. And they can't tie anymore.

FreshFish
03-10-2016, 03:41 PM
I'm saying that for us to make the [NCAA] tournament ... , a certain set of outcomes must take place. I was putting forth the outcomes I thought were necessary.

Quinnipiac > Cornell, Yale > Dartmouth, we play Quinnipiac.
Quinnipiac > Cornell, Dartmouth > Yale, we play winner St. Lawrence-Clarkson.

Cornell > Quinnipiac, Yale > Dartmouth, we play winner St. Lawrence-Clarkson.
Cornell > Quinnipiac, Dartmouth > Yale, we play Dartmouth.

If I understand correctly, only the first scenario might help us if we finish 2nd, depending upon how other conference tournaments shake out. The other three scenarios, we have to win out.

To channel the spirit of Al Davis, "just win, baby!"

turk181
03-10-2016, 09:16 PM
My DirecTV channel guide is showing RPI vs Harvard Sat. night on the CW ch.45.

turk181
03-10-2016, 09:19 PM
Is it also on TW? The CW ch.15........ <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Enjoy. <a href="https://t.co/LdwsUFEeLc">https://t.co/LdwsUFEeLc</a></p>&mdash; Without a Peer (@without_a_peer) <a href="https://twitter.com/without_a_peer/status/708008725806780416">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RPI fan 4 life
03-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Yes, it is! I just posted this on the RPI thread. 7:00 PM Saturday on Channel 15 (CW 45).

Waite21
03-10-2016, 10:42 PM
I think Jim Dahl has your answer: http://collegehockeyranked.com/. Strange as it may seem, because of the way the ECAC tournament lines up, if Rensselaer sweeps Harvard, then faces and beats QU in the semis we do have a slight chance to get an at large bid even if we lose in the ECAC final. It must have to do with the quality points we would earn and of course it will necessitate that almost every other opponent around us falls and that there are few tournament upsets. Note from the CHN site: http://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/probabilityMatrix.php we have a 3% chance of winning the ECAC's and a 4% chance of making the dance. Therefore we have a non-zero chance of getting an at large. Who would have thought?

Thanks for your response.

My question was actually focused on the possibility that Harvard might be pretty well locked in to finishing 11th and that they might enter this series in a relatively complacent mood, feeling that they were reasonably assured of making the NCAA tournament even if they lose to RPI.

Jim Dahl's article shows that that's not so. Losing to RPI would most likely mean Harvard would be out of the NCAA picture. Of course, losing to Harvard would most definitely mean RPI would be out of the picture.

So we have two teams with all the motivation they should need to play well in this series.

That's the way it should be. Let's have at it. :)

Skate79
03-11-2016, 01:19 PM
I know that during the regular season, people were ready at any moment to inform us in advance of the effect a win, a loss, or a tie would have on RPI's pairwise ranking.

We all know that RPI's pairwise ranking has dropped to the point that their only chance to make the NCAA tournament is to win the ECAC tournament.

I'm wondering about Harvard. They currently rank 11th in the PWR. If they are still ranked 11th after the conference tournaments are over, they will be a mortal lock to make the NCAA tournament unless all six conference champions are teams ranked 12th or lower. If the Crimson drop to, say, 14th or 15th, they'd need to hope for very few upsets in the conference tournaments.

How far is Harvard's PWR likely to slip if they lose this weekend's series to RPI?

We will hanging by a thread and will need help to get into the tournament. That's why I believe that the team will be playing with some serious urgency and will remember what happened in February at Bright Landry. They have a lot of motivation going for them. If Madsen makes all the saves he needs to make, we should be fine.

turk181
03-11-2016, 01:23 PM
We will hanging by a thread and will need help to get into the tournament. That's why I believe that the team will be playing with some serious urgency and will remember what happened in February at Bright Landry. They have a lot of motivation going for them. If Madsen makes all the saves he needs to make, we should be fine.Change “Madsen” to “Kasdorf” & you just as easily could be talking about RPI.

fr. joe
03-12-2016, 02:59 AM
Game 1 is in the books... on to Game 2.