The B1G's proposal and their defense of it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The B1G's proposal and their defense of it

Since no one reads the comments at the end of an article I thought it would be good to have a thread dedicated to the article by Brad Traviola.

Personally I think his facts are not correct. I would like to know how many 17 year olds there are in college hockey right this minute, since he said there were some.
    Second, I wonder if he knows who Dylan Larkin is, since Mr Larkin is obviously competing in the NHL quite well as a 19 year old.

It's just a defense of something that's indefensible if you ask me.
    It's the B1G saying things to the NCAA, and to other schools in the NCAA who don't have hockey and who don't know any different. In other words justifying their actions based on a false premise.
    Last edited by manurespreader; 03-04-2016, 12:39 PM.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Re: The B1G's proposal and their defense of it

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    I would like to know how many 17 year olds there are in college hockey right this minute, since he said there were some.
    Presumably they turned 18 sometime during the season.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Recruiting issues aside, I simply hate the six-team league. The CCHA was good hockey, the Big Ten isn't.
      "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

The arrogance and sense of entitlement shown by the B1G and the other P5 conferences (and not just in hockey) is mind-boggling.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

First and foremost I support the proposal, and furthermore I am getting so sick and tired of people complaining about the Big Ten and everything related to it. It is what it is, deal with it.
          National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
          National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Originally posted by bcmsu9196 View Post
            Recruiting issues aside, I simply hate the six-team league. The CCHA was good hockey, the Big Ten isn't.
            I too would prefer more than six teams, but creating the Big Ten hockey conference was necessary to give incentive to schools like Iowa, Illinois, etc to start up hockey programs. Give it time, more Big Ten schools will get on board eventually. Starting the Big Ten hockey conference was the single most important event in developing the long term growth of the game at the collegiate level.
            National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
            National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

It's a well-laid out argument. The hockey system is a delicate ecosystem. This turn to older players is corroding it.

People really need to stop and think about the far-reaching positive impacts this will have in the hockey world, regardless of the actual intentions/reasons of some programs supporting it. I know that's difficult for fans when new-found mediocrity for some (not all) of their traditionally terrible programs is at risk.

The time for mercenaries is over. Let's get back to college-aged kids playing college sports. Exceptions can be made for kids with medical redshirts or transfers.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

This article is nothing but a pile of excuses to justify what the Big Ten wants. It has nothing to do with what is best for the "student-athlete".

18 year olds can't play against 24 year olds - there doesn't seem to be a problem in the NHL. If your 18yo players can't complete, don't play them until they are ready
                Delayed enrollment is rarely a choice made by a student for academic purposes - Then stop stockpiling recruits and let them come to school as 18yo (assuming they are ready to play D-I hockey, see above)
                Players need to be younger, eliminate the older players - Yeah, just like basketball and football where the Big Ten wants players to NOT play their frosh year so they can "mature" and focus on their studies... you can't have it both ways.

Lastly, if the Big 10 is so concerned about academics, how about they just recommend the student not play athletics and hit the books. Oh yeah that's right, they are not there to study, they are on campus to play hockey and get some made up degree that will keep the GPA high enough so they'll be eligible. How come we never hear about Ivy league schools having these sorts of problems, maybe they are recruiting kids that want a real degree and just happen to be good at hockey as well?
                Ryan J
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
                  First and foremost I support the proposal, and furthermore I am getting so sick and tired of people complaining about the Big Ten and everything related to it. It is what it is, deal with it.
                  The Big Six back doored the rest of college hockey. But it doesn't matter, the proposal is likely to die before it gets to a vote.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Starting the Big Ten hockey conference was the single most important event in developing the long term growth of the game at the collegiate level.
                    So then what's the NCHC's excuse for forming and trying to kill the CCHA and WCHA? That was in the best interest of hockey too I suppose... How many new programs has the NCHC developed and added to the conference to "grow the game"? I suppose the NCHC is going to add ASU and the existing member schools will pay for ASU's new rink because "that's what's best for the sport?"

Having a new hockey conference has NOTHING to do with getting new schools to start hockey. The lack of a Bi6 hockey conference had NOTHING to do with the lack of college hockey growth. Not having ~$100M to add mens hockey and another womens sport is what limits the growth of college hockey.

It is funny how many people think D-I schools don't have hockey simply because "They never thought of it before" or "they didn't have a conference". Give me a break. Its about lack of money, not lack of desire. Period.

Ryan
                    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 03-04-2016, 12:27 PM.
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

There's two issues at hand - 1) The issue itself. It does have some merit, not denying that. I personally don't know enough about the ins and outs of recruits, ages, junior hockey, etc., to make any kind of comment but it is a situation that probably should be looked at. But 2) My concern is the fact that the B1G is pushing this through the NCAA and going around the rest of college hockey because they probably know they won't get the answer they want if they do it the appropriate way. Schools that don't have a college hockey program or know anything about the sport will be voting on this and that's not right.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        There's two issues at hand - 1) The issue itself. It does have some merit, not denying that. I personally don't know enough about the ins and outs of recruits, ages, junior hockey, etc., to make any kind of comment but it is a situation that probably should be looked at. But 2) My concern is the fact that the B1G is pushing this through the NCAA and going around the rest of college hockey because they probably know they won't get the answer they want if they do it the appropriate way. Schools that don't have a college hockey program or know anything about the sport will be voting on this and that's not right.
                        Definitely agree.

Specifically on the second point, as historically the coaches' convention in June is where proposals are debated and a consensus can be made among those who know the game. The fact that the bi6 got a head count last June they didn't like, and are now trying to ram this down the rest of college hockey's throat sets a bad precedent. Why should 10% of schools dictate the direction of the rest? and yes, I know my school is probably one of the non bi6 schools that supports this, but again, my big issue isn't about the proposal itself, rather the way it's coming about.

Comment

Well regardless of the issues, don't we all deserve to argue this on the facts and not on suppositions. We suppose a young player isn't able to compete, but clearly he is. We suppose a lot of stuff, but why decide based on that. It's a very poor way to do business.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            We suppose a young player isn't able to compete, but clearly he is.
                            You may want to clarify this statement, as it could be interpreted to support either side of the debate.
                            BS UMass Lowell 2015
                            PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Chris Dilks' well thought out blog post on the subject.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/big-...n-age-proposal
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                              X