Hacker nonsense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacker nonsense

What is with some of these recent, very annoying titles like "I really need a fake degree", and "Packers and movers" ??? They need to get the heave-ho !!!

Re: Hacker nonsense

They're not hackers, they're spammers. Firewalls and various other site security protocols are not being subverted here. They're making these threads to improve their companies' Google search results rankings. The rankings go up by people clicking into threads that contain their links. If people would just not click into those spamming threads, the spammers would move on to a different vBulletin board and leave this one be.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      If people would just not click into those spamming threads, the spammers would move on to a different vBulletin board and leave this one be.
      Evidently 34 people felt the need to click on a link on how to move from Mumbai to Kolkata.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
        Evidently 34 people felt the need to click on a link on how to move from Mumbai to Kolkata.
        Well, I hear Kolkata is really gentrifying and I'm always looking for a good real estate investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
          For all we know, and perhaps only someone with access to the site's server logs could tell us, but it may very well be the person starting those threads that's accessing them repeatedly while everybody else grouses about them.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Cement is big in India
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Cement is big in India
              The last time this happened you almost got banned because the spammers were promoting pirated movie streams and you created the 'Watch college hockey online for free' thread which is now a sticky.

I could have sworn the admins added a challenge question or something to the registration process in order to filter these out, but maybe the spammers caught on?

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                The last time this happened you almost got banned because the spammers were promoting pirated movie streams and you created the 'Watch college hockey online for free' thread which is now a sticky.

I could have sworn the admins added a challenge question or something to the registration process in order to filter these out, but maybe the spammers caught on?
                Spammers caught on. And I don't think the admin has time to monitor the site the way some here would expect it to be monitored. They have the their 40-hour/week jobs at the GAP (or wherever), then their free time is spent running this here site.

Comment

I don't know who is moderator(s) on the site now, but when I was a moderator the challenge system was easy to defeat. I tried to make it more of a challenge but it didn't take spammers long to catch on and defeat that system as well. Since I have loads of free time I instituted a process where I would have to approve every member before they could post. I won't go into detail how I determined if the user in question was a spambot or an actual human, but it kept the spammers at bay. I don't think we had a single spam post after I instituted the policy. However, it requires an incredible investment of time and as others have said, the people who administer the board mostly have limited time to devote and there are responsibilities that come before hunting for spambots.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    Spammers caught on. And I don't think the admin has time to monitor the site the way some here would expect it to be monitored. They have the their 40-hour/week jobs at the GAP (or wherever), then their free time is spent running this here site.
                    Hear ya but with the surge in spam posts this morning, you'd think someone could take five minutes at lunch to delete them and ban the posters. Very annoying to have almost a full page of this junk.
                    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                    Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

in the meantime...
                      just don't give the spam views, and especially don't bump them with witty replies.
                      let's help them sink into page two oblivion as fast as possible.
                      Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                        Hear ya but with the surge in spam posts this morning, you'd think someone could take five minutes at lunch to delete them and ban the posters. Very annoying to have almost a full page of this junk.
                        I still have access so I got rid of a bunch of them. I left one because people enjoyed replying to the thread. I just cut out the link and contact information

Comment

Kindly do the needful in using packers and movers in Bangalore.

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                            in the meantime...
                            just don't give the spam views, and especially don't bump them with witty replies.
                            let's help them sink into page two oblivion as fast as possible.
                            Stop telling them to die in a fire. Gotcha.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

A couple more just popped up, so doing my part to keep this thread up and bump theirs down.
                              Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Working...
                              X