View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23

UWisco
03-18-2016, 06:13 PM
Why can't UW have a Kyle Connor?

NEWI Badger Fan
03-18-2016, 06:20 PM
Why can't UW have a Kyle Connor?

UW can with the correct UW hockey head coach hire. May or may not be next year depending on the hire. With basketball and football, BA seems to sustain, and not improve the respective program. Sorry, I do not buy the Alvarez Kool Aid.

DoorCtyBadger
03-18-2016, 07:13 PM
Wondering if it's possible the new head coach at least keeps the current assistants for now. Will head coach have final say on that right off the bat? I know they have only been on the job for a year.

Luke Strand is the assistant that needs to stay. He does have great ushl contacts and would a great addition to any hockey staff.

gwhinwi
03-18-2016, 07:44 PM
Don't take EliteProspects as any kind of source of truth for that.

Yep. Which is why I'm going with what has been told to me directly. Some sources you just have to trust.

NEWI Badger Fan
03-18-2016, 07:54 PM
Luke Strand is the assistant that needs to stay. He does have great ushl contacts and would a great addition to any hockey staff.

UW needs an offensive head coach that will hire a slam dunk assistant/associate coach to specialize in defense.

SanTropez
03-18-2016, 08:12 PM
congrats on getting rid of the anchor.

I hope whoever your new coach is knows that playing the 0-0-5 fore check system won't fill the building...

MadCityRich
03-18-2016, 09:58 PM
Goddamit. Ladies just lost to the ****ing gophers again.

OT game; they had another great year nonetheless.

WiscTJK
03-18-2016, 10:02 PM
Goddamit. Ladies just lost to the ****ing gophers again.

Yep on a one on three terrible turnover that looked like a men's game.

Badger Booster
03-19-2016, 10:32 AM
It's interesting that the application deadline for the new coaching positions is March 25. Fairly fast turnaround. Also, only one assistant job is posted along with the head coach job. Though that's the same situation for women's basketball and UW publically said that the whole staff had been let go.

Bonin21
03-19-2016, 11:05 AM
If it's the same job and you need two why post it twice?

Wisko McBadgerton
03-19-2016, 11:15 AM
On Mike Eaves:

For those that have only seen the public face of Mike Eaves at games and metaphor-filled pressers and interviews, let me just say this: Anyone that has had the opportunity to speak with Mike, (as I have) especially outside of a hockey setting, almost without exception comes away extremely impressed by what a intelligent, thoughtful, kind, and generous person he is. For all the talk there has been of his huge ego, in a personal setting, it is nonexistent and he is the type of person that despite all his many accomplishments, makes you feel as though you are the important one in the conversation. He is a man of his word, a person of great character, and a very genuine guy in a world where some of those qualities are perhaps less valued than they should be. And of course he is a human being, with all the shortcomings that entails in all of us.

You need only to look at the quality of individuals that have come through the program during his tenure to see a further reflection of the kind of person he is. Wins and losses aside, hockey ability aside, I cannot think of an individual player that he recruited and shepherded through the program that I am not extremely proud to have had associated with the University and the Badger hockey program. These guys are great people and even better for having been part of Mike's program.

From Nic Kerdiles: "(Mike Eaves) has taught me things on the ice and off the ice that have shaped me into a better player and person! I will never be able to thank him enough for everything he has done for me and will never take it for granted... ...A Legend in my eyes as well as many others. Thank you Coach!"

Somewhere there is a video of a locker room speech he gave during the inaugural B1G championship where he is passionately exhorting the boys to complete the comeback and take what is theirs, which I can't find at the moment. But his competitive spirit and passion for Badger Hockey comes through pretty clearly in motivating the boys to one of many huge wins he orchestrated in his career at Wisconsin. He's a great hockey coach and I will be surprised if he's not on staff somewhere in the NHL next season, provided he is so inclined.

I think ultimately a down year last year was inevitable, but when a combination of circumstances and (let's be clear) direct failures of Mike and the staff led to Boesser, Zullinick, Dougherty, and Opilka departing or not coming in, (which also probably precluded adding an interested player like Caleb Jones to the blue line) left the team too young and without quite enough talent, the die were cast. Margins are thin in Hockey. Statistically, this team needed to bury only one more goal in every fifty shots, and get only one more save in every fifty shots against, to match the very good '13-'14 team on paper. It's not a lot, and likely a couple players could have made all the difference. But it was not slated to be and quite obviously changes needed to be made going forward. Such is life.

The cupboard is no longer empty and I believe the Badgers are positioned to return to their winning ways in the near future. Hopefully in time a greater appreciation of a guy who poured his heart and soul into UW Hockey for nearly half of his adult life will come to fruition and bygones will be bygones. Once a Badger always a Badger and Mike Eaves will always be a great Badger. Thanks for all the great moments in Badger Hockey and all you gave to the program, the boys, and the community through your efforts Mike. All the best to you and your family moving forward.

On Wisconsin and Let's Go Red.

BuB
03-19-2016, 11:54 AM
Bravo, Wisko, Bravo. Well said.

On Mike Eaves:

For those that have only seen the public face of Mike Eaves at games and metaphor-filled pressers and interviews, let me just say this: Anyone that has had the opportunity to speak with Mike, (as I have) especially outside of a hockey setting, almost without exception comes away extremely impressed by what a intelligent, thoughtful, kind, and generous person he is. For all the talk there has been of his huge ego, in a personal setting, it is nonexistent and he is the type of person that despite all his many accomplishments, makes you feel as though you are the important one in the conversation. He is a man of his word, a person of great character, and a very genuine guy in a world where some of those qualities are perhaps less valued than they should be. And of course he is a human being, with all the shortcomings that entails in all of us.

You need only to look at the quality of individuals that have come through the program during his tenure to see a further reflection of the kind of person he is. Wins and losses aside, hockey ability aside, I cannot think of an individual player that he recruited and shepherded through the program that I am not extremely proud to have had associated with the University and the Badger hockey program. These guys are great people and even better for having been part of Mike's program.

From Nic Kerdiles: "(Mike Eaves) has taught me things on the ice and off the ice that have shaped me into a better player and person! I will never be able to thank him enough for everything he has done for me and will never take it for granted... ...A Legend in my eyes as well as many others. Thank you Coach!"

Somewhere there is a video of a locker room speech he gave during the inaugural B1G championship where he is passionately exhorting the boys to complete the comeback and take what is theirs, which I can't find at the moment. But his competitive spirit and passion for Badger Hockey comes through pretty clearly in motivating the boys to one of many huge wins he orchestrated in his career at Wisconsin. He's a great hockey coach and I will be surprised if he's not on staff somewhere in the NHL next season, provided he is so inclined.

I think ultimately a down year last year was inevitable, but when a combination of circumstances and (let's be clear) direct failures of Mike and the staff led to Boesser, Zullinick, Dougherty, and Opilka departing or not coming in, (which also probably precluded adding an interested player like Caleb Jones to the blue line) left the team too young and without quite enough talent, the die were cast. Margins are thin in Hockey. Statistically, this team needed to bury only one more goal in every fifty shots, and get only one more save in every fifty shots against, to match the very good '13-'14 team on paper. It's not a lot, and likely a couple players could have made all the difference. But it was not slated to be and quite obviously changes needed to be made going forward. Such is life.

The cupboard is no longer empty and I believe the Badgers are positioned to return to their winning ways in the near future. Hopefully in time a greater appreciation of a guy who poured his heart and soul into UW Hockey for nearly half of his adult life will come to fruition and bygones will be bygones. Once a Badger always a Badger and Mike Eaves will always be a great Badger. Thanks for all the great moments in Badger Hockey and all you gave to the program, the boys, and the community through your efforts Mike. All the best to you and your family moving forward.

On Wisconsin and Let's Go Red.

GBBadger14
03-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Kyle Turris also took to Twitter:

Mike Eaves was a great coach who genuinely cared about his players. I was lucky to have learned from him.

Wisko McBadgerton
03-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Kyle Turris also took to Twitter:

Mike Eaves was a great coach who genuinely cared about his players. I was lucky to have learned from him.

and Mark Zengerle:

Mike Eaves is a great coach and even better man. He will always be a legend in Wisconsin Badger hockey.

And Ryan McDonagh:

I learned a lot from Mike Eaves during my time in Madison. He was a great coach and always wanted to help players be better people.

solovsfett
03-19-2016, 03:26 PM
It's interesting that the application deadline for the new coaching positions is March 25. Fairly fast turnaround. Also, only one assistant job is posted along with the head coach job. Though that's the same situation for women's basketball and UW publically said that the whole staff had been let go.

If that deadline is true then the new coach must have come to an agreement already. That's no turn time at all, especially for guys not named Mark Johnson, though I don't think it will be him.

solovsfett
03-19-2016, 03:27 PM
and Mark Zengerle:

Mike Eaves is a great coach and even better man. He will always be a legend in Wisconsin Badger hockey.

And Ryan McDonagh:

I learned a lot from Mike Eaves during my time in Madison. He was a great coach and always wanted to help players be better people.

Class acts, all of these guys

herbst20
03-19-2016, 03:38 PM
If that deadline is true then the new coach must have come to an agreement already. That's no turn time at all, especially for guys not named Mark Johnson, though I don't think it will be him.

My personal conspiracy theory is that Don Granato will be the head coach and Max Gildon was tipped off prior to committing. Even as a Badger fan it surprised me that a potential top 5 NHL pick would select the Badgers during their free fall.

WiscDC
03-19-2016, 05:59 PM
My personal conspiracy theory is that Don Granato will be the head coach and Max Gildon was tipped off prior to committing. Even as a Badger fan it surprised me that a potential top 5 NHL pick would select the Badgers during their free fall.

I wouldn't be shocked if that were to be the case. It reminds me of when Auston Matthews mysteriously added Wisconsin to his list of potential schools in the middle of last year, well after it was clear how atrocious the Badgers were. The potential for Granato to go there was the only explanation I could think of that would explain why a 1-and-done guy like Matthews would do that.

It's clear that the decision to let Eaves go was already made prior to this week, so it would make sense that the search has been going on.

Edit: Or Mike Babcock is going to say "see ya!" to the Leafs to coach the Badgers, because the Babcock Dairy was too much to pass up.

WiscDC
03-19-2016, 06:08 PM
Is the application deadline related to any kind of deadline for when a decision has to be made? As has been discussed here, there are a lot of potential candidates who would likely be both excellent and realistically interested candidates. I could see the selection process going well beyond that date.

IndianaBadger1995
03-19-2016, 09:13 PM
Is it possible Max Gildon plays for us next year? We really need some good defenders coming in. Hate to see Linhart/etc bobble the puck and give it away constantly...