PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

srkbadger
03-18-2016, 10:23 AM
I don't disagree with this. I think that you let the staff & team know now, but hold off on the official press release until Monday.

No way in today's world that this news stays out of the public if staff and team are told, and the AD looks bad. If you want it out of the public realm, then Alvarez needed to hold off entirely until Monday. That was probably the best way for all concerned. Given it didn't happen that way speaks to how much blood was in the water. Some important people wanted it done and done now.

Almington
03-18-2016, 10:27 AM
No way in today's world that this news stays out of the public if staff and team are told, and they AD looks bad. If you want it out of the public, then Alvarez needed to hold off entirely until Monday. That was probably the best way for all concerned. Given it didn't happen that way speaks to how much blood was in the water. Some important people wanted it done and done now.

I know that it would not stay private, but they would not have to officially anounce the change until Monday.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-18-2016, 10:30 AM
From his Baggott mouthpiece:

Alvarez's approach to hockey has been interpreted by some as indifference, but he made building LaBahn Arena a priority and now the $27.9 million facility, completed in 2012, gives the men's and women's programs unsurpassed accommodations.

Hey, remember when Barry tried to put that project on hold and publicly called out hockey alumni for not pitching in as much as he wanted? Yeah, let's remember that when Barry tries to pat himself on the back for "making it a priority".

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/2010/03/uw-hockey-facility-put-on-hold.html

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/2010/03/more-info-on-uw-practice-facility.html

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/hockey/article_7aa038ce-24e7-11df-b026-001cc4c002e0.html

That's some serious ret-con work there, Baggott.

captain beefheart
03-18-2016, 10:38 AM
I guess a congratulations is in order. As much as I detest you all;), Wisconsin deserves a great hockey program. Good luck with the search.

RedStripes
03-18-2016, 10:39 AM
Again, thanks to coach Eaves for his efforts, but it's time to start over.

Thank goodness this is finally over.

I've been pretty critical of MM through the last couple of years and it's obvious that we needed a change. Having said that, I think it's bittersweet to move on. Regardless of how things ended, Mike Eaves should be respected for what he brought to the University as a player and for the national championship in 2006. He rightfully is no longer our coach but he will always be a Badger. Thanks and good luck.

Innova
03-18-2016, 10:47 AM
Clearly this decision was locked and loaded going into the Big Ten tournament. Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but I would have liked this coming down on Sunday night/Monday morning. I don't want any distractions for the women's team out in New Hampshire and you just know that Coach Johnson will be asked about it, whether or not he has any interest in the job.

The truth was that Barry knew he had a very strict timeline (http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20160318T08&p0=142&msg=Mike+Eaves+Countdown+Clock&font=sanserif&csz=1).

:D

ScoobyDoo
03-18-2016, 11:02 AM
Really? No buyout clause? Really? Have to pay him for the whole contract.

oldtyme25
03-18-2016, 11:14 AM
Why all the talk of it should have waited until Monday....the real view should be why was Barry 365 days late in firing MM? Would you prefer that some other college has the chance to pull the trigger on either Oz or Granato? It was time to go and Barry can now go watch some hoops and hopefully another women's national championship without the distraction of Mike Eaves. With 4 wins last year and 7 this year (with 4 of the wins being ASU and Alaska) quite frankly I think he did it exactly right in showing the hockey world that he can actually make a decision!

UWisco
03-18-2016, 11:15 AM
Why all the talk of it should have waited until Monday....the real view should be why was Barry 365 days late in firing MM? Would you prefer that some other college has the chance to pull the trigger on either Oz or Granato? It was time to go and Barry can now go watch some hoops and hopefully another women's national championship without the distraction of Mike Eaves. With 4 wins last year and 7 this year (with 4 of the wins being ASU and Alaska) quite frankly I think he did it exactly right in showing the hockey world that he can actually make a decision!

8 wins this year.

Timothy A
03-18-2016, 11:26 AM
From his Baggott mouthpiece:

Hey, remember when Barry tried to put that project on hold and publicly called out hockey alumni for not pitching in as much as he wanted? Yeah, let's remember that when Barry tries to pat himself on the back for "making it a priority".

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/2010/03/uw-hockey-facility-put-on-hold.html

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/2010/03/more-info-on-uw-practice-facility.html

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/hockey/article_7aa038ce-24e7-11df-b026-001cc4c002e0.html

That's some serious ret-con work there, Baggott.

And don't forget then he cheaped the building out when it was built. It's a shell of what it was supposed to be.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-18-2016, 11:28 AM
And don't forget then he cheaped the building out when it was built. It's a shell of what it was supposed to be.

Could you elaborate? I haven't been to Madison much in recent years and haven't been inside LB yet.

icebadger
03-18-2016, 11:30 AM
Could you elaborate? I haven't been to Madison much in recent years and haven't been inside LB yet.1 full concession stand for starters.

Timothy A
03-18-2016, 12:13 PM
Could you elaborate? I haven't been to Madison much in recent years and haven't been inside LB yet.

They ditched the theater seating and went with benches with backs, which is huge. Those benches are narrow and tight.

GoBucky!
03-18-2016, 12:18 PM
It's a great day for hockey!

icebadger
03-18-2016, 12:59 PM
madison.com article (http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/hockey/badgers-men-s-hockey-wisconsin-fires-coach-mike-eaves-after/article_61d59ea4-5245-52a2-b443-4777cc947493.html)

Things I learned: Strand signed a 2-year contract; MJ will "at least talk" to Barry; Don Granato's interest "has increased"

WiscTJK
03-18-2016, 01:11 PM
madison.com article (http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/hockey/badgers-men-s-hockey-wisconsin-fires-coach-mike-eaves-after/article_61d59ea4-5245-52a2-b443-4777cc947493.html)

Things I learned: Strand signed a 2-year contract; MJ will "at least talk" to Barry; Don Granato's interest "has increased"

Hastings mentioned in that article and I think that he would be great, but he just upped his contract and would have a large buyout. Leaman was mentioned on Twitter. Providence coach who won N/C couple years back. I think you could look to other USHL or DIII coaches to. Tim Cophlin should be interviewed if he is interested. His teams at St Norberts are like Bo at Platteville.

WiscTJK
03-18-2016, 01:12 PM
And Mark Johnson would not be a good choice. He has been too long away from the Men's game and men's recruiting in my opinion.

Anyone think Strand would be retained?

gwhinwi
03-18-2016, 01:17 PM
Anyone think Strand would be retained?

I think he and Bittner could be. The connections to the recruits alone might be worth hanging onto him for a year. I guess that depends on how the new head coach feels about the incoming kids though.

markwojo
03-18-2016, 01:27 PM
So....now that the ax has fallen...I can share where I had heard Eaves was going going gone in the beginning of this thread. I had heard from someone in Oz's camp that change was coming. I don't know whether that was/is from the standpoint that Oz is a candidate to replace Eaves or more that he knows enough people that if it was know Eaves was going he would know.

On candidates...."Wisconsin" guys should probably be Don Granato, Oz, Gwoz, Tony Granato and Mark Johnson in that order. Honestly wouldn't go beyond the top two in that list before looking outside (if you don't do that right off the bat). I think Johnson would be a mistake...to far removed from mens game and was part of the problem at the end of the Sauer regime. I fear you'll screw up both mens and womens program in one fell swoop.

solovsfett
03-18-2016, 01:34 PM
So....now that the ax has fallen...I can share where I had heard Eaves was going going gone in the beginning of this thread. I had heard from someone in Oz's camp that change was coming. I don't know whether that was/is from the standpoint that Oz is a candidate to replace Eaves or more that he knows enough people that if it was know Eaves was going he would know.

On candidates...."Wisconsin" guys should probably be Don Granato, Oz, Gwoz, Tony Granato and Mark Johnson in that order. Honestly wouldn't go beyond the top two in that list before looking outside (if you don't do that right off the bat). I think Johnson would be a mistake...to far removed from mens game and was part of the problem at the end of the Sauer regime. I fear you'll screw up both mens and womens program in one fell swoop.

I agree on your list and agree Don Granato an Oz should be the top 2. At this point I'd put Don as the priority. With his track record and now connection with usntdp it's a no-brainer.

Maybe, just maybe Tony Granato could be his assistant. That would be HUGE.

I like Mark Johnson bit agree with your assessment of why he should not be considered.

I hope Don is calling both Barry and Pat Richter right now

EDIT: I don't think you can tell an incoming HC who his assistants will be. They might pitch Strand and Bittner but ultimately I think the HC has to be given complete control. Buy out Strand of you have to