PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey XXXVII: Waiting for the axe to fall

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

solovsfett
03-06-2016, 02:34 PM
As a Gophers fan my whole life, reading this thread and seeing stuff like Barry Alverez needs to go is a reminder of how incredibly entitled, naive, and spoiled many Wisconsin Badger fans are. Ever since Barry stepped on the UW campus the UW athletics went from a bottom feeder athletic program most of the country wouldn't look at unless you were cross-country or hockey fan. Since, he arrived the athletics have transformed into program that is one of envy across the nation. Now I'm certainly giving too much credit to Barry for all the success, but even since he just took the athletics is beyond it's right of success. In the last three years no program has been as high profile in the two by far highest grossing college sports, except maybe Michigan State. The fact that Barry hasn't fired the hockey coach and the women's basketball program is bad in most people's mind is a minor inconvenience when it comes to the program that was in the National Championship game in Men's Basketball and winner's of a Bowl game in college football on a rebuilding season. Even in Wisconsin down year in basketball they are going to make the tournament for the 17th straight season. Your previous legendary coach had an extramarital affair and it was news for about two seconds yesterday. I get why you want Mike Eaves gone, it's been two historically bad seasons. Just remember he also won a National Championship and was a National Championship Runner-up during his tenure. Sure he swung and missed on a few guys and didn't get a player like Will Butcher, but times have changed the era of plucking the best Gopher/Sioux rejects and cream of crop Chicagoland players is gone (UMD, SCSU, MSU-M, Omaha for MN players and Notre Dame, Miami for Chicagoland). The program thrived in the middle to late 2000's, because the state of Wisconsin produced a good amount of talent. However, just like every other program, players jumped ship to the pros early and the other factors have caught up to them. I no doubt expect the program to be competent in the coming years, but you might want to get used to down years, because you cannot reload like the Gophers just because you have six national titles. Also, if you think Barry needs to go, just let me tell you as a U follower the bleep going down in Dinkytown makes all the news out of Madison look like page 8 buried stories. Barry is trying to get money to buy out the Hockey coach speaks more to what Alvarez has to deal with when his former U counterpart who was outed for sexual harassment/assault got the freedom to offer the basketball coach who couldn't even make the NIT a ridiculous bonus and buyout so he wouldn't jump ship to Alabama for BASKETBALL.

Get used to down years? Really?
No, we will never "get used" to down years. Shut your cake hole, none of us post this type of garbage in gopher threads

WiscDC
03-06-2016, 03:32 PM
As a Gophers fan my whole life, reading this thread and seeing stuff like Barry Alverez needs to go is a reminder of how incredibly entitled, naive, and spoiled many Wisconsin Badger fans are. Ever since Barry stepped on the UW campus the UW athletics went from a bottom feeder athletic program most of the country wouldn't look at unless you were cross-country or hockey fan. Since, he arrived the athletics have transformed into program that is one of envy across the nation. Now I'm certainly giving too much credit to Barry for all the success, but even since he just took the athletics is beyond it's right of success. In the last three years no program has been as high profile in the two by far highest grossing college sports, except maybe Michigan State. The fact that Barry hasn't fired the hockey coach and the women's basketball program is bad in most people's mind is a minor inconvenience when it comes to the program that was in the National Championship game in Men's Basketball and winner's of a Bowl game in college football on a rebuilding season. Even in Wisconsin down year in basketball they are going to make the tournament for the 17th straight season. Your previous legendary coach had an extramarital affair and it was news for about two seconds yesterday. I get why you want Mike Eaves gone, it's been two historically bad seasons. Just remember he also won a National Championship and was a National Championship Runner-up during his tenure. Sure he swung and missed on a few guys and didn't get a player like Will Butcher, but times have changed the era of plucking the best Gopher/Sioux rejects and cream of crop Chicagoland players is gone (UMD, SCSU, MSU-M, Omaha for MN players and Notre Dame, Miami for Chicagoland). The program thrived in the middle to late 2000's, because the state of Wisconsin produced a good amount of talent. However, just like every other program, players jumped ship to the pros early and the other factors have caught up to them. I no doubt expect the program to be competent in the coming years, but you might want to get used to down years, because you cannot reload like the Gophers just because you have six national titles. Also, if you think Barry needs to go, just let me tell you as a U follower the bleep going down in Dinkytown makes all the news out of Madison look like page 8 buried stories. Barry is trying to get money to buy out the Hockey coach speaks more to what Alvarez has to deal with when his former U counterpart who was outed for sexual harassment/assault got the freedom to offer the basketball coach who couldn't even make the NIT a ridiculous bonus and buyout so he wouldn't jump ship to Alabama for BASKETBALL.

1. It's funny to see a gophers fan talk about being entitled and spoiled on a college hockey board.

2. Barry Alvarez was a football coach. I was Pat Richter and David Ward who were in charge of things when the athletic department's turnaround occurred. Alvarez was one of the pieces to the puzzle. He was brought in to lead the football tem - he wasn't reponsible for the entire athletic department.

WiscDC
03-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Also, if you want to talk about entitlement, talk about all those fans who were offended by Diamond Stone choosing Maryland over UW. Talk about football fans acting like there's no good reason for Wisconsin to not have a steady stream of Russell Wilson clones. Don't talk about fans expressing concern and anger in response to the men's hockey program as we know it dying. Yes, dying. The colossal drop in attendance, media coverage, and general fan interest (even among hockey fans) is moving the program into uncharted territory. To write this up to "down years" is ridiculous.

MadCityRich
03-06-2016, 08:06 PM
BTW congrats to the women's team. Another shut-out for Ann-Renée Desbiens and the "D" corps. They, and MN, are **** good. I can't believe that BC is better than both, but we shall see.

I found myself yelling at the refs and some of the goof girls for flopping around, just like I "used to" for UW-UMN men's games!

Happy
03-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Get used to down years? Really?
No, we will never "get used" to down years. Shut your cake hole, none of us post this type of garbage in gopher threads

you probably would if we were the embarrassingly worst team in a really bad Big Ten two years in a row.

Timothy A
03-06-2016, 08:50 PM
BTW congrats to the women's team. Another shut-out for Ann-Renée Desbiens and the "D" corps. They, and MN, are **** good. I can't believe that BC is better than both, but we shall see.

I found myself yelling at the refs and some of the goof girls for flopping around, just like I "used to" for UW-UMN men's games!

They could have called a few more penalties on the rodents, especially in the 2nd period. It was really neat to listen to Jack Swanson calling a game. I remember when he and Bill Brophy did the men's games on 1070 while Paul Braun and Bill Howard did them on 1310. Imagine that, UW men's hockey was SO popular 2 competing radio stations could carry the games and there were enough interested advertisers to make it happen. Ah, the glory years. I was a 1310 guy myself.

Hopefully the lads hang more than a few on the rodents next weekend and spoil their last home series.

solovsfett
03-06-2016, 09:59 PM
you probably would if we were the embarrassingly worst team in a really bad Big Ten two years in a row.

No I wouldn't. I don't rip other teams or fans in their threads.

despite my hatred for all things gophers I wouldn't pop in to your threads to instigate or kick the team when they're down

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-07-2016, 09:28 AM
As a Gophers fan my whole life,Uh, okay...

reading this thread and seeing stuff like Barry Alverez needs to go is a reminder of how incredibly entitled, naive, and spoiled many Wisconsin Badger fans are. Ever since Barry stepped on the UW campus the UW athletics went from a bottom feeder ... blah blah blah a bunch of nonsense a Barry-loving football-only fan would sayIll put it gently, you clearly have no idea what the hell youre talking about.

Bratbill
03-07-2016, 06:26 PM
Q. Was the learning, that they somehow survived that third period, or was it learning that this wasn't quite good enough, we've got to do it differently in order to survive in more cases?
COACH EAVES: It was interesting watching the game yesterday at home. I kept writing "SL" down, "SL" "SL", story line, what's the story line here? In terms of things that we were doing in the third period, that weren't the things we talked about or diagrammed, and until you're in that situation and you live it, you have to walk through it and step on the coals do you find out how really hot it is. So we'll look at those story lines here. We won't look at the whole third period but there was definitely themes that we can do better, and we will be better at because of this week and the experience that we had on Saturday.

Wow.....just....WOW

bucky15
03-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Q. Was the learning, that they somehow survived that third period, or was it learning that this wasn't quite good enough, we've got to do it differently in order to survive in more cases?
COACH EAVES: It was interesting watching the game yesterday at home. I kept writing "SL" down, "SL" "SL", story line, what's the story line here? In terms of things that we were doing in the third period, that weren't the things we talked about or diagrammed, and until you're in that situation and you live it, you have to walk through it and step on the coals do you find out how really hot it is. So we'll look at those story lines here. We won't look at the whole third period but there was definitely themes that we can do better, and we will be better at because of this week and the experience that we had on Saturday.

Wow.....just....WOW

Yea, makes you wonder what is actually going through his head.

Happy
03-07-2016, 06:54 PM
No I wouldn't. I don't rip other teams or fans in their threads.

despite my hatred for all things gophers I wouldn't pop in to your threads to instigate or kick the team when they're down

OK. It isn't going to happen, so you will never have to worry about that temptation. UW has had one of the hardest falls in college hockey history, and it has been interesting to watch. I can't stand Barry, so I figure UW deserves it. also, UW played pure goon hockey last series, so I am worried if UW is going to keep taking major penalties and trying to hurt Novak like last time.

IndianaBadger1995
03-07-2016, 07:11 PM
Really hope Eaves gets fired right after the season ends so we can rebuild to a top team in the nation. Can't see that ever happening again under Eaves.

solovsfett
03-07-2016, 07:34 PM
OK. It isn't going to happen, so you will never have to worry about that temptation. UW has had one of the hardest falls in college hockey history, and it has been interesting to watch. I can't stand Barry, so I figure UW deserves it. also, UW played pure goon hockey last series, so I am worried if UW is going to keep taking major penalties and trying to hurt Novak like last time.

You're entitled to that opinion about Barry and you know many of us in Badgerland share your sentiments in that regard.

The conduct of the Wisconsin players vs Minnesota a few weeks back was deplorable at best. Eaves should have benched 2-3 guys for multiple games to get it though their heads that type of play is unacceptable.

it's such a shame Wisconsin has fallen far but more shameful is the powers that be just watched it happen over the last several years and failed to act

Happy
03-07-2016, 08:15 PM
You're entitled to that opinion about Barry and you know many of us in Badgerland share your sentiments in that regard.

The conduct of the Wisconsin players vs Minnesota a few weeks back was deplorable at best. Eaves should have benched 2-3 guys for multiple games to get it though their heads that type of play is unacceptable.

it's such a shame Wisconsin has fallen far but more shameful is the powers that be just watched it happen over the last several years and failed to act

I was just stunned by it. I know you lost your great 2014 defense, and then some great recruits bolted, but wow was the cupboard left empty. Any chance Kunin wants to come play for MN?

solovsfett
03-07-2016, 08:24 PM
I was just stunned by it. I know you lost your great 2014 defense, and then some great recruits bolted, but wow was the cupboard left empty. Any chance Kunin wants to come play for MN?

I feel terrible for Kunin and Besse. They could not have known the depths to which their team would sink but the flipside is they must have good character (especially Besse) as they could have pulled a Ford and left prior to season's end but they're still fighting.

I haven't seen many MN games this year but I'd imagine one or both of Kunin or Besse would put em closer to Michigan and winning the league

Happy
03-07-2016, 09:23 PM
I feel terrible for Kunin and Besse. They could not have known the depths to which their team would sink but the flipside is they must have good character (especially Besse) as they could have pulled a Ford and left prior to season's end but they're still fighting.

I haven't seen many MN games this year but I'd imagine one or both of Kunin or Besse would put em closer to Michigan and winning the league

I am really starting to feel that if your team recruits possible NHL talent, learning how to handle the early departures is the most important aspect to winning.

solovsfett
03-07-2016, 09:51 PM
I am really starting to feel that if your team recruits possible NHL talent, learning how to handle the early departures is the most important aspect to winning.

That's a major aspect to eaves' undoing. He just hasn't shown ability to adapt and/or plan ahead.

He swings from one extreme to another. 2-3 kids leave early then he over recruits 4-year grinders then realizes he's got no snipers and tries to compensate with be or two blue chippers but that's not enough

Over time Lucia, Gwozdecky, York, Berenson, Blaise, and a few others have shown how to get get through times where you lose a couple of guys unexpectedly. Eaves was too myopic maybe

DoorCtyBadger
03-07-2016, 09:56 PM

wont play for minnechoka but you can almost bet the farm he will be nhl bound at seasons end

Bonin21
03-07-2016, 10:06 PM
He is not ready to step into the NHL next year.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
03-07-2016, 10:30 PM
He is not ready to step into the NHL next year.

Quite a few who bolt early aren't, but that's what the AHL is for.

See: Turris, Kyle