PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Gophers vs Michigan Wolverines: 2/25-2/26 A big BIG series

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

SteveO
02-22-2016, 04:24 PM
Didn't see a thread so here we go heading into what should be a very fast paced and exciting series to watch. This is obviously a critical and defining series for both teams with three weeks to go looking forward to the BIG season championship and the NCAA playoff picture.

Michigan will invade Mariucci with the #1 offense in the NCAA courtesy of the CCM line of Kyle Connor, JT Compher and Tyler Motte, the highest scoring line in the NCAA (63-77-140 in 28 games or 5 points/game).

The Gophers rank #9 in offense and will look to players like Captain Kloos with 10 goals in 11 games with a 9 game point streak, Hudson Fasching with 9 goals in 11 games and leading the team with 18 goals on the season and lightening quick forward Leon Bristedt, who has tripled his goal scoring output from last season with 15 goals and 15 assists.

Both teams have weaknesses at defense with the Gophers ranked #31 and Wolverines #36. In net, Schierhorn (2.57 GAA, .912 SV%) and Racine (2.80 GAA, .915 SV%) have nearly identical stats.

gopher wes
02-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Wrong smiley

SteveO
02-22-2016, 05:30 PM
Wrong smiley

You prefer :mad:? That seems to be in vogue with the BIG critics.

The Rube
02-22-2016, 10:32 PM
Note: ticket prices have been dropped (some significantly) for the rest of the year. SRO is $10 now, instead of $30+, for example. I won't be able to make this series, but am thinking about the WI series in a couple weeks.

gopher wes
02-23-2016, 08:55 AM
You prefer :mad:? That seems to be in vogue with the BIG critics.
It's supposed to be :)

BadgerHockey9
02-23-2016, 09:23 AM
Note: ticket prices have been dropped (some significantly) for the rest of the year. SRO is $10 now, instead of $30+, for example. I won't be able to make this series, but am thinking about the WI series in a couple weeks.

Where can you find SRO tix for $10? I've been looking for cheaper tix for Thursday's game and fri wisco game.

goldy_331
02-23-2016, 09:37 AM
Where can you find SRO tix for $10? I've been looking for cheaper tix for Thursday's game and fri wisco game.

gophersports.com Tickets pull down. Buy on line and print out.

Driftryder
02-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Both games are on the BTN.

Should be a fun series, I always look forward to playing Michigan. They play fast and like to skate up and down the rink like the Gophers, makes for exciting hockey.

A sweep by either team would probably be enough for the B1G title.

SteveO
02-23-2016, 10:32 AM
It's supposed to be :)

Only among a small sample size of the loquaciously self absorbed.:)

5mn_Major
02-23-2016, 10:35 AM
Dang, you made my week with $10 SRO.

I'd be wary of buying tix for this Friday's UW game from Gophersports.com. :)

5mn_Major
02-23-2016, 10:47 AM
Tough series to predict. MI potency can not be underestimated. But the Gophers almost always get up for circle em series at home against big name opponents. I feel most comfortable predicting at least one for MN. But even that's not in the bank.

With both team's play styles...one thing is guaranteed...this will be the Gophers' most entertaining home series of the year.

D2D
02-23-2016, 11:03 AM
With both team's play styles...one thing is guaranteed...this will be the Gophers' most entertaining home series of the year.
What's the over/under on the total number of odd-man rushes over the course of the two games? And how about lone breaks? :eek:

https://youtu.be/BX909DdNniQ

BadgerHockey9
02-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Dang, you made my week with $10 SRO.

I'd be wary of buying tix for this Friday's UW game from Gophersports.com. :)
March 12th I meant..my bad. So with standing room tix, do a lot of them find empty seats if available? How's the standing room view?

SteveO
02-23-2016, 11:17 AM
Tough series to predict. MI potency can not be underestimated. But the Gophers almost always get up for circle em series at home against big name opponents. I feel most comfortable predicting at least one for MN. But even that's not in the bank.

It is a tough series to predict. Could home ice on the big sheet be an advantage?

goldy_331
02-23-2016, 12:34 PM
March 12th I meant..my bad. So with standing room tix, do a lot of them find empty seats if available? How's the standing room view?

There have been plenty of seats available. Standing views are as good as they get.

wolverineTrumpet
02-23-2016, 02:14 PM
It is a tough series to predict. Could home ice on the big sheet be an advantage?

While Michigan doesn't have a big sheet to practice on, they're fast, and the offense should do well on the big ice...but the big ice will likely make the defensive lapses that much more prominent.

I'm obviously hoping for Michigan to sweep, I'm realistically thinking a split, and I won't be too surprised if my Wolverines get swept.

Considering the opponents each team has left, I think if the Gophers get at least 3 points this weekend, they win the B1G regular season.

ScoobyDoo
02-23-2016, 02:27 PM
Been a real up and down year. A real crappy year for non-conference. A real crappy year against in-state rivals. If Minnesota wants to show anything for the season sweeping Michigan would be a good way to start.

SteveO
02-23-2016, 07:54 PM
While Michigan doesn't have a big sheet to practice on, they're fast, and the offense should do well on the big ice...but the big ice will likely make the defensive lapses that much more prominent.

I'm obviously hoping for Michigan to sweep, I'm realistically thinking a split, and I won't be too surprised if my Wolverines get swept.

Considering the opponents each team has left, I think if the Gophers get at least 3 points this weekend, they win the B1G regular season.

Agreed the big sheet should open up a high octane speed game for both teams.

If the Gophers can pick up 3, indeed they have the weaker opponents ahead with Michigan State and Wisconsin, while you guys have Ohio State and finish at home with Penn State.

What concerns me the most is we've had some trouble closing out teams and your team is outscoring opponents by an insane margin of 55-20 in the third!!:eek:

Khryx
02-23-2016, 08:49 PM
Someone asked in a different thread so I thought I would share the following:
I tried to do quick numbers since the start of the B1G hockey conference and got these stats for at least 3 games played at Mariucci for visiting team's records:
Michigan = 0-4
Minnesota-Duluth = 3-1
MSU = 1-4-1
OSU = 0-6
PSU = 1-5
SCSU = 2-1
Wisconsin = 0-3-1

Harvard, Merrimack, Minnesota State, and Vermont each have one win and no losses at Mariucci. I might have missed something but Minnesota has played well at home in the B1G and most of their home losses have been against non-conference foes.

Bonin21
02-23-2016, 08:58 PM
I think what you mean to say is Minnesota has played well at home against not very good teams and bad against good teams.

This week is a huge test.