This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Three) - Living in Interesting Times

I agree more frosh playing this season, but out of necessity, with one senior in the stands who only played the first 12+ games, per usual, and one sophomore bolting after five games, perhaps because of coaching, although we will never know. And, why is Quast getting so much more ice time than some of the sophomore blue liners?

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
      Last night's fish toss went from perplexing to pathetic to funny (person in a hazmat suit with nothing to do) to sad.
      Deadspin has video of it.
      Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
      "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
        Deadspin has video of it.
        As does ESPN...
        http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14818128&ex_cid=espn

Comment

Originally posted by New Hampshire 'Cats Fan View Post
          Thanks. Or maybe not. Got a link to the Eiserman hit by chance?
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
            However I want to dispel the notion that freshmen are sitting while untalented upperclassmen play. There are six freshmen on the roster. Four - Vela, Nazarian, Miller, Dawson - have played almost every game, Cefalu has played a few, and Kalinowski has not played at all.
            I thought I read/heard somewhere that Kalinowski had packed his bags and left town a few weeks ago?
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

[QUOTE=Chuck Murray;6279743]I thought I read/heard somewhere that Kalinowski had packed his bags and left town a few weeks ago?[/QUOTE

He has left is playing elsewhere but that where escapes me at the moment...
              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Great story on Ralph Cox re: Miracle anniversary:

http://www.sbnation.com/miracle-on-i...e-last-man-cut
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• [QUOTE=HockeyRef;6279752]
                  Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  I thought I read/heard somewhere that Kalinowski had packed his bags and left town a few weeks ago?[/QUOTE

He has left is playing elsewhere but that where escapes me at the moment...
                  Left UNH for personal reasons, then picked up by Connecticut Oilers (juniors) on February 5th, but article that I read says that he expects to be back at UNH next fall.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

This story never gets old!
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      Left UNH for personal reasons, then picked up by Connecticut Oilers (juniors) on February 5th, but article that I read says that he expects to be back at UNH next fall.
                      That's pretty unusual, isn't it? I mean, you leave the program, then you return? Since he didn't play ... assuming for a moment he does come back, I would think he'd still have four years of eligibility remaining.

Terrific link, powerful story, like e-cat says ... just never gets old.

Ralph Cox was a goal scoring machine. One of my favorite players when I was in HS.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I believe his statement was aspirational. He already faced a clear uphill battle to ever see the ice, and if he was promised some money down the road, I'm sure that is off the table given the circumstances of his leaving. Combine that with they only guy who recruited him being gone, and I would be surprised beyond belief if he ever returns.

We may see this repeated with a couple of other kids. Not quite the BU level of throwing off recruited kids (MacTavish, Kolias, Collier, Kurker, MacAfee) or the PC level, but there is a lot of decisions needed on recruits to rationalize the post-Borek roster, so that UNH lives up to its commitments, but plainly spells out the likely outcome of a kid showing up, so that they doesn't waste the kids' time.

Cox returned to UNH to volunteer in 86 or so. I remember sitting on the balcony at Snively watching him after practice circling near the top of the circles, and effortlessly blasting wristers into the top corner of the net. Best wrister I ever saw.
                        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-23-2016, 09:53 AM.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

Ralph!!! I know it was a different time but Ralph was truly a special player. The first time I ever heard his name was in, I think, 1974. My wife worked with a woman whose son played for Archbishop Williams and she kept talking about this kid whose stick, she said, had a magnet for the puck. That kid was Ralph Cox. When he was a high school senior, I remember going to see Archies play Stoneham (captained by another UNHer, Paul Surdam) in the old Garden. Archies won, they had a fantastic team, but Ralph was the center point. By that time I knew he was going to UNH and I wondered how he would fit in. UNH already had Hislop, Cox, Lumley and this freshman from Billerica Bob Miller. Needless to say he fit in nicely. A lot of Ralph Cox memories while he was at UNH. But two stand out. One was in the wildest ECAC semis and finals ever in 1977 (10-9 win over Cornell, 8-6 loss to BU in the final). One goal stands out because it happened right in front of me. He comes down the right wing, takes a pass from Miller and in one motion fires a wrist shot, top corner by the frozen goalie. Another was his senior year. UNH is playing Clarkson at the infamous Walker Arena. Clarkson (I think Jerry York was an assistant there then) had tremendous offensive teams. UNH falls behind in the first period, but Ralph scores one. He scores another in the second, then takes the game over in the third, scoring two more to seal the win. Just a great player.

Although I knew he had broken an ankle leading up to the Olympic tryouts, and I am sure it hampered his abilities on the ice, he was the leading scorer on the team throughout most of their tour of Europe and North America. It was pretty much acknowledged that Herb Brooks favored the western college players, particularly those he coached at Minnesota, over the eastern ones. There were only five eastern guys on the roster, the four from BU (Silk, O'Callaghan, Eruzione, Craig) and Ralph. I am pretty sure he would have added more to the team than some western guys who made it. And I am sure these arguments would have been given if the US had gotten trounced. But you can't argue with success. And the one thing that success gave us was the final, grudging acknowledgement by the NHL that US college players could play the game. I've gotten to know Ralph a bit since those days. The last time I saw him was at last years NCAA's in Boston. He was walking through the Garden concourse with Tim Burke and Gordie Clark. Should have taken a picture. But what you see in this video clip is the way Ralph is in person, always a gentleman.

Comment

"UNH Captain's Corner: Battle with #9 BU"
                            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              That's pretty unusual, isn't it? I mean, you leave the program, then you return? Since he didn't play ... assuming for a moment he does come back, I would think he'd still have four years of eligibility remaining.
                              "I read it on the Internet."

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                ...the wildest ECAC semis and finals ever in 1977 (10-9 win over Cornell, 8-6 loss to BU in the final).
                                Still the BEST night of hockey I have ever seen. Perhaps many did not stay for the 2nd game. BU was trailing Clarkson (with Dave Taylor) 6-4 with three minutes left and scored three (the last by Silk) to win, 6-5. I know many had left by then, because the first game was a wild affair, with UNH winning 19 seconds into the 2nd overtime on a blast by Bob Gould from just inside the blue line (right in front of us, in the 1st row of the balcony). And boy, were those seats the GREATEST seats for hockey in any arena then and since.

Comment

Working...
                                X