X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Three) - Living in Interesting Times

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Happens from time to time when the fish is too large. Tradition started over 40 years ago by a frat that later lost its charter at UNH, for reasons that one can only imagine (think 'Animal House,' the film). But, as the story goes, two frat brothers were allowed back on campus only for home men's hockey games, and only for as long as it would take for UNH to score its first goal, after which the fish throwers were escourted out of the building. Not sure if still the case, but a local fish market would donate the most rotten fish that they could no longer sell, with some breaking apart as they hit the ice. Obviously, the youthful fish throwers now must be second or third generation, as the original frat bros would be in rocking chairs watching games on NESN now.

Greg probably can elaborate with corrections and more details.
    WAY too much analysis! He just needed to lift it over his head first instead of trying to heave it from his hip!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      WAY too much analysis! He just needed to lift it over his head first instead of trying to heave it from his hip!
      No, no, no, chickod. The fish is not supposed to be just dropped over the glass, but tossed towards the net. You obviously have never worked on the docks. :-)

Comment

No, no, no, chickod. The fish is not supposed to be just dropped over the glass, but tossed towards the net. You obviously have never worked on the docks. :-)
        Neither has he!! That kid couldn't have tossed a pencil towards the net!

Comment

You obviously have never worked on the docks. :-)
          I put my computer into a docking station...does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            I put my computer into a docking station...does that count?
            Ha, ha, ha. I guess that we need to bring the old frat bros out of retirement, as those dudes knew how to toss the fish. :-)
            Last edited by Snively65; 02-20-2016, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Last night's fish toss went from perplexing to pathetic to funny (person in a hazmat suit with nothing to do) to sad.
              Last edited by Darius; 02-20-2016, 04:48 PM.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                Agree with that take ... and boy oh boy, does that tell a tale as to where the UNH program has fallen.

At least we'd have a chance to kick old WIS favorite Luce Canaan to the curb in the MBPBEGAM playoffs this year. :
                Or, maybe we will host Mac in the MBPBEGAM, just like the olden days, but different, in that then we were No. 1 or 2, and Mac was No. 7 or 8 (season over for No. 9).
                Last edited by Snively65; 02-20-2016, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                  Last night's fish toss went from perplexing to pathetic to funny (guy in a hazmat suit with nothing to do) to sad.
                  Found out by my daughter who's an UNH alum '14 the hazmat person was a former student of mine (female) she tweeted about it later!
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Found out by my daughter who's an UNH alum '14 the hazmat person was a former student of mine (female) she tweeted about it later!
                    Original post edited. Thank you.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Three) - Living in Interesting Times

Ho hummmm well it's a BU kind o night! Furgele must be hurt we are down a D man?
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Ok Darius am now officially in the Eiserman for top line...☺️ UNH makes it interesting in the third...We hold into 8th thanks to Maine's heroics in OT...And now into UConnnnn...where we have to have to win 1 I think for home ice in Chucks "everybody gets to play" tournament!!
                        (the exact phrase escapes me feel free to fix my post) Sighhh
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Nazarian putting together a nice freshman year despite limited ice time. Should Pots leave early I can see him filling that spot on top line.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Ok Darius am now officially in the Eiserman for top line...☺️ UNH makes it interesting in the third...We hold into 8th thanks to Maine's heroics in OT...And now into UConnnnn...where we have to have to win 1 I think for home ice in Chucks "everybody gets to play" tournament!!
                            (the exact phrase escapes me feel free to fix my post) Sighhh
                            Need to sweep UConn so that we have a chance to play at PC again in second round, assuming that we can win first round. Baby steps on way back to 'da Gahden. Like the more balanced scoring this weekend, and against a good team, if not a great team.

Comment

The only way UNH is getting back to the Garden this March is with paid admissions. Fact.

Now let's turn to the tempered excitement surrounding the MBPBEGAM (for HR, that's the "Make Believe, Phony Baloney, Everyone-Gets-A-Medal") round of the HE postseason. Your UNH Wildcats are clinging valiantly to the 8th spot in the HE standings. Once upon a time, not so long ago ... being in 8th place in the HE regular season meant you were the last team eligible for the postseason. Nowadays, it's your AD's ticket for two bonus home games to pad the department's and the league's coffers. So in the spirit of MBPBEGAM, let's make believe this next weekend - the final weekend of the HE regular season - is *really* important. Looking at things from UNH's persoective, here's what we know for sure:

* The "ceiling" is a 7th place finish, with home ice against the 10th seed. Northeastern (as predicted) has pulled away and is locked into the 6th seed. And the basement is 11th place. Short of a miracle of epic proportions, the UMass Minutemen have once again done what they've always done best - finish last. Having said that, those plucky Minutemen did not lose to your Wildcats this season (two ties);

* Northeastern's only role in sorting out the lower half of the standings will be when they sweep UMaine in a 2 game series in Boston, so UNH's realistic "basement" is probably only 10th place;

* Your Wildcats are currently #8, and will play a home-and-away series against UConn, which is sitting in the #10 position 2 points behind UNH, and tied on points with #11 UMaine (see above). The #7 seed UVM is a single point ahead of UNH, and they'll be traveling to North Andover to face #9 Merrimack, which is a single point behind UNH;

* With a sweep over UConn (no giggling there in the back row, Mr. Canaan ), UNH clinches MBPBEGAM home ice, and probably moves ahead of UVM, unless UVM gets 3 out of 4 points against hosts Merrimack;

* With a UConn sweep over UNH ... *ack* ... UNH probably falls at least to 10th, and if UConn takes 3 points, UConn ties UNH but likely takes the head-to-head tiebreaker. In neither scenario does UNH overtake UVM, and there is a decent chance they also fall behind the Warriors. That's 10th place. Now IF UMaine has a surprisingly successful series on St. Botolph St. - which I've already predicted above will not happen - then your Wildcats probably finish in 11th place;

* A split of the series with UConn keeps UNH ahead of them, prevents even a UMaine miracle from overtaking us (tiebreaker), and would force Merrimack to sweep UVM to overtake us. And in doing so, a sweep of UVM pushes them down a point below UNH.

Moral of the story ... 2 points next weekend probably makes BS35+3 a happy guy, and if those two points arrive with a win and a loss, then that's 1 more win on the "March to 600" for the head coach. Two ties, it still looks like 8th place, but the "march" stays stuck in neutral.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've got goosebumps just thinking about all this excitement ...
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

With all due respect, our destiny is to dispatch someone on home ice in two or three games, then travel to NICC, where should be much easier to take two of three this year than in Prov'ist last year, and then onto 'da Gahden. Simple as pie. We must get to 'da Gahden, as otherwise I would not be able to attend any more games this season.
                                Last edited by Snively65; 02-21-2016, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X