X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Three) - Living in Interesting Times

Originally posted by JB View Post
    One problem at all levels of hockey - goalie equipment is bigger and lighter than ever. Bigger goalies, bigger-lighter goalie equipment that plus system defense (thanks NJ) and scoring is down.
    I'm fine with the equipment being lighter. Someone has to do something about the bigger part, though.

Either that, or let the skaters go back to using their illegally curved sticks, a la Bobby Hull back in the day.

Think about it - the argument against back then was primarily goalie safety. Now that goalies have all this additional protection, the only real added safety danger in maxing out curved sticks would be to the non-goalies blocking shots.

I'd rather see the equipment size brought (significantly) down, and bring athleticism back to the goalie position.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Mike Sislo picks up 12:37 in ice time tonight in Devils 2-1 win over B's, who have lost 6 of their last 7 in regulation; Claude must be channeling DU?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Mike Sislo picks up 12:37 in ice time tonight in Devils 2-1 win over B's, who have lost 6 of their last 7 in regulation; Claude must be channeling DU?
        Ugh...he better start channeling Jerry York!! If they don't make the playoffs again this year...well, I just can't.

ps..enjoyed watching Sislo out there..
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Ugh...he better start channeling Jerry York!! If they don't make the playoffs again this year...well, I just can't.
          I'm afraid only one of the B's and DRW are going to make it, HR. Both are leaking oil badly down the stretch (the Wings gacked up a 3rd period lead last night in Montreal to miss a chance to leapfrog the B's), and if the Devils or 'Canes were closer in pursuit, I wouldn't have counted either of them out to pass both. DRW have theoretically winnable back-to-backs this weekend (Minnesota/@ Toronto) before a huge back-to back next week (Philly/@ Boston), the latter of which will likely carry huge weight on who makes it, and who doesn't.

Frankly, I have zero confidence in the Wings right now. WAY too many similarities between them and UNH with porous defenses, and now even the solid goaltending Mrazek had been providing to carry them through early February has largely vanished. I think they are also missing Coach Babcock badly right now. You can almost set your watch for them to fall behind by two goals in the first period before they awaken to compete. And as you folks know from my screeds against SOG and in favor early goals to control the flow of a game ... that's a recipe for disaster. Now would be a great time to rip off a 5 game winning streak, for sure. But I just don't see that happening, and I think Boston will find a way to limp over the line into the playoffs - probably clinching at home against the Wings, if not sooner.

So hopefully that brightens your day a little bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            I'm afraid only one of the B's and DRW are going to make it, HR. Both are leaking oil badly down the stretch (the Wings gacked up a 3rd period lead last night in Montreal to miss a chance to leapfrog the B's), and if the Devils or 'Canes were closer in pursuit, I wouldn't have counted either of them out to pass both. DRW have theoretically winnable back-to-backs this weekend (Minnesota/@ Toronto) before a huge back-to back next week (Philly/@ Boston), the latter of which will likely carry huge weight on who makes it, and who doesn't.

Frankly, I have zero confidence in the Wings right now. WAY too many similarities between them and UNH with porous defenses, and now even the solid goaltending Mrazek had been providing to carry them through early February has largely vanished. I think they are also missing Coach Babcock badly right now. You can almost set your watch for them to fall behind by two goals in the first period before they awaken to compete. And as you folks know from my screeds against SOG and in favor early goals to control the flow of a game ... that's a recipe for disaster. Now would be a great time to rip off a 5 game winning streak, for sure. But I just don't see that happening, and I think Boston will find a way to limp over the line into the playoffs - probably clinching at home against the Wings, if not sooner.

So hopefully that brightens your day a little bit.
            Best example that I saw this season that might seemingly support your SOG thesis, Chuck, was UNH 3-2 win at UML in early February (UML won SOG 53-16). But, I would be hard pressed to describe any "flow" to that game, other than an extreme roller coaster ride, always downhill towards the UNH end, with Tirone blocking shots off his mask, pads, stick, whatever, and the Ospreys incapable of putting the puck in a wide-open net over a flopping Tirone.

Comment

Best example that I saw this season that might seemingly support your SOG thesis, Chuck, was UNH 3-2 win at UML in early February (UML won SOG 53-16). But, I would be hard pressed to describe any "flow" to that game, other than an extreme roller coaster ride, always downhill towards the UNH end, with Tirone blocking shots off his mask, pads, stick, whatever, and the Ospreys incapable of putting the puck in a wide-open net over a flopping Tirone.
              Was at that one! Worked for us...first win over the "Ospreys" in 7 tries...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Was at that one! Worked for us...first win over the "Ospreys" in 7 tries...
                Would have thought that a win like that one would have boosted our PWR more than it did.

Comment

Saw their 2 time Champion coach shown the door after wanting more money while slowly backsliding.

The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Any AD who lets himself be taken hostage by any hockey coach* is an idiot who shouldn't have been put in charge of a concession stand let alone an athletic department. There are only 60 D1 jobs, and a third of those are entry level/bottom feeder. There are far more than 40 guys capable of successfully running a D1 hockey program. Go find one. Get off your cushy @zz and go find one.

Scarano was either too green to know he was getting caught up in needless panic, too lazy to dig in and find someone else, or too caught up in the Durham Don't Rock the Boat Bubble (see an earlier post of mine) to actually lead the athletic department. Instead he let the hockey coach lead it. And this is where we are because of it.

*Jerry York being the only possible exception.
                    I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                    How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                      Any AD who lets himself be taken hostage by any hockey coach* is an idiot who shouldn't have been put in charge of a concession stand let alone an athletic department. There are only 60 D1 jobs, and a third of those are entry level/bottom feeder. There are far more than 40 guys capable of successfully running a D1 hockey program. Go find one. Get off your cushy @zz and go find one.

Scarano was either too green to know he was getting caught up in needless panic, too lazy to dig in and find someone else, or too caught up in the Durham Don't Rock the Boat Bubble (see an earlier post of mine) to actually lead the athletic department. Instead he let the hockey coach lead it. And this is where we are because of it.

*Jerry York being the only possible exception.
                      My golf course opened today .... I thought I'd be able to forget about UNH Hockey. But no ....sitting at the bar next to a couple of people I did not even know and one of them mentioned UNH Hockey. We then determined that there we had almost 85 years of season ticket holdings between us ......

Then the other shoe hit the floor .... not one of us is going to renew his ticket for next year and the only commonality in our opinions was what only be called the "hangingonness" of the current HC.

Does the AD have any idea of the depth of the decay occurring out there in the seasoned fan base .... only one word comes to mind ..... sad.

Comment

Any word yet on the captain and co-captains for next season?

Comment

Any word yet on the captain and co-captains for next season?
                          Usually revealed at the team's end-of-season banquet ... so we'll probably know later this month?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            Usually revealed at the team's end-of-season banquet ... so we'll probably know later this month?
                            April 23...I'll put it out here asap ��

ps watching this Bruins lead evaporate reminds me of, oh, never mind...
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-01-2016, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              April 23...I'll put it out here asap ��

ps watching this Bruins lead evaporate reminds me of, oh, never mind...
                              Thanks!

Big night for local pro teams.

Comment

Not a lot of Seniors to choose from so Kelleher/Cleland. One with the C, the other with an A. As with last year my vote is for TK. Hill gets an A. Maller a letter only if no lessons learned from this past season's oft injured captain experiment.
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X