X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Three) - Living in Interesting Times

Originally posted by fightingsiouxfan16 View Post
    well yes of course. Any given day. There are no gimmes in a one and done tournament. A bounce of a puck, a hot goalie, etc can change everything. So as a NoDak fan I can say this i am nervous playing Denver.
    Didn't know there was one more Shore thing (haha) on the DU squad...they are gonna be tough! Good luck; rooting for ya..
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Didn't know there was one more Shore thing (haha) on the DU squad...they are gonna be tough! Good luck; rooting for ya..
      Thanks. Would be nice to win it all. havent done it in 16 years now

Comment

• Hot take opinion - honestly, I just don't think Lowell or Providence are very good...

And I mean that as a compliment to both of their head coaches. They have done amazing jobs building culture and maximizing the talent they do have. Their teams commit 100% to their systems, buy in entirely and truly believe it's their destiny to win every time they take the ice. These are two amazing coaching jobs by arguably two of the best coaches in the country...

Imagine what these two programs will look like when recruiting picks up and the same systems remain?

PC recruiting has really ratcheted up over the last few years under Leaman - they may step back a bit next year being so young, but when the top talent they've recruited gets to campus and gains some experience? Look out! I think they'll look a lot like this years DU team...

Lowell's thread has a lot of the same complaints as ours in terms of a lack of recruits in the system - but the talent in the pipeline seems to be improving and Bazin always seems to end up with the right guys for his team, regardless. If they add some elite skill (like Anas) - they'll be a replica of this years Q team. Bazin and UML are following almost an identical path to that of Pecknold and Q...

Neither of these rosters are close to their current levels of play if Pooley and McDonald are still in charge.

UNH doesn't have that kind of coach right now - so their not going to hit their ceiling until the change is made (maybe two changes are made) or the roster really rebuilds...
        Last edited by Dan; 03-28-2016, 11:31 AM.
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by fightingsiouxfan16 View Post
          DU/UND in Denver - especially Friday night - was some of the best hockey I've seen in a long time. Just amazing games and great battles, featuring SO much talent. I can't wait to watch that game. Throw out the third-place game and the series is tied 2-2 with both teams sweeping at home. A fitting rubber match on the big stage...

Despite DU's sweep that weekend - I thought UND looked like a title winning favorite. Their defensive group is incredible, the first line is great and the forward depth exists to keep opponents honest.

The other team I saw this year that stood out above the rest was Boston College. Granted, they were playing CC but they are so deep and balanced and Demko is at another level this year.

So I'll pick UND over BC - but won't be surprised in the LEAST of Q and DU end up meeting in the finals...

----

As an aside, interesting to see what happens to BC this summer. They could get crushed by early departures. Let's hope so, because if everyone returns they will be incredible. If most come back, they'll still be VERY good...
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Its a great rivalry. Nothing would surprise me in the frozen four this year. Very little separates these four teams. Demko is a heck of a goalie but so is the QU goalie. You can argue all 4 of these goalies play at the elite level. Denver/ND is gonna bring a lot of speed and hitting. I guess same can be said for QU/BC. QU can really throw their bodies around.

Comment

• Originally posted by fightingsiouxfan16 View Post
              That sounds positively awesome to us, considering that we haven't won it all in....

Let me see here...

Wait...

Carry the 1....

Hold on, hold on....

Subtract 3....

Almost got it.....

Ugggghhhhh
              Last edited by wildcatdc; 03-28-2016, 04:37 PM.
              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                That sounds positively awesome to us, considering that we have won it all in....

Let me see here...

Wait...

Carry the 1....

Hold on, hold on....

Subtract 3....

Almost got it.....

Ugggghhhhh
                I know this one!!!!
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Its a great rivalry. Nothing would surprise me in the frozen four this year. Very little separates these four teams. Demko is a heck of a goalie but so is the QU goalie. You can argue all 4 of these goalies play at the elite level. Denver/ND is gonna bring a lot of speed and hitting. I guess same can be said for QU/BC. QU can really throw their bodies around.
                  All four are very good - and I don't want to upset you, but who was the last UND goalie that DIDN'T put up gaudy numbers? Cam is playing behind an NHL defense already. QU has eight-straight seasons of great goal tending partly due to their system. Sure, BC's defenders are pretty good too, but I'd still take Demko if I was building a team.

Jaillat is the interesting one - he wasn't supposed to win the job, it was Cowley was the pre-season Richter candidate and DU's first-choice - but he has played so well and competed so hard. Its hard not to root for him...
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    All four are very good - and I don't want to upset you, but who was the last UND goalie that DIDN'T put up gaudy numbers? Cam is playing behind an NHL defense already. QU has eight-straight seasons of great goal tending partly due to their system. Sure, BC's defenders are pretty good too, but I'd still take Demko if I was building a team.

Jaillat is the interesting one - he wasn't supposed to win the job, it was Cowley was the pre-season Richter candidate and DU's first-choice - but he has played so well and competed so hard. Its hard not to root for him...
                    Why would you upset me? As a NorDak fan i expect a good goalie every year. And Demko is a good goalie in his own right. There is nothing that you said that would upset me. I would probably lean towards Demko if i was starting a team today as well.

Comment

Why would you upset me? As a NorDak fan i expect a good goalie every year. And Demko is a good goalie in his own right. There is nothing that you said that would upset me. I would probably lean towards Demko if i was starting a team today as well.
                      I suspect what Dan was saying is that you could put a trash can between the pipes and with UND's D, the trash can would put up solid numbers. Flop around a lot less than DT as well. Sorry couldn't resist.
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                        I suspect what Dan was saying is that you could put a trash can between the pipes and with UND's D, the trash can would put up solid numbers. Flop around a lot less than DT as well. Sorry couldn't resist.
                        Lmaooo. That was good. I feel tho you can say the same thing about the QU goalie this year. With the system they run you can put a trash can in that net and itll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          Neither of these rosters are close to their current levels of play if Pooley and McDonald are still in charge.
                          It's weird that you mention Pooley because despite PC not playing the Dump and Watch any more, this kind of defense is exactly something he'd be into. Ellis' Terreri/Gillies numbers are probably proof of what kind of system Leaman has installed.
                          I'm not even convinced that this team is better offensively than some of Pooley's teams with Hulbig, Pisani, the Omicioli brothers, Disalvatore/Rask/Fregoe, etc. And I very much enjoyed Jankowski, Tanev, Mingoia, Saracino, Rooney, Foley, and Pinho this year.
                          The offensive system is just much more consistent under Leaman. Unless we play UNH.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                          -Blackadder
                          "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                          -Casablanca
                          "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                            Flop around a lot less than DT as well.
                            Of the hockey I watched this last weekend (NE Regional live, a bit of the Saturday play on TV and the Sunday regional finals) there was one common theme among the goalies: big, square to the puck, solid positioning, with an efficiency of motion.

Not what UNH has in net. I really appreciate Tirone's effort and compete. I believe he is putting his all into the games. I am not sure he will ever be an above average college goalie. I think the current game, UNH's D and his style will hold him back.
                            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                              Of the hockey I watched this last weekend (NE Regional live, a bit of the Saturday play on TV and the Sunday regional finals) there was one common theme among the goalies: big, square to the puck, solid positioning, with an efficiency of motion.
                              Yup. That and huge equipment. How much do those catching gloves weigh? Another thing is scorers adapting to goaltender tactics. A lot of goals scored blocker side high.
                              Last edited by Darius; 03-29-2016, 04:57 PM.
                              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                                Yup. That and huge equipment. How much do those catching gloves weigh? Another thing is scorers adapting goaltender tactics. A lot of goals scored blocker side high.
                                One problem at all levels of hockey - goalie equipment is bigger and lighter than ever. Bigger goalies, bigger-lighter goalie equipment that plus system defense (thanks NJ) and scoring is down.
                                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Working...
                                X