X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Three) - Living in Interesting Times

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...year-extension

"I earned an extension in our work year one, [but] didn't earn things in this season," Alford said to ESPN. "The right thing to do is give the extension back."
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post

"I earned an extension in our work year one, [but] didn't earn things in this season," Alford said to ESPN. "The right thing to do is give the extension back."
      Good one, Felger. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post

Here's how I see it ... Coach Alford is giving back a year on the extension of his contract. Coach Umile had already agreed to give back his lifetime contract, and limit it to a 3 year (now with 2 years left) deal.

So technically, while Alford has given up a single season, Umile has given up his life expectancy less 3 years.

He's even got us outflanked on the creativity of his end-of-tenure approach.

Pure genius.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Check out our 26th in the Fish (Poisson) Rankings thread!

Comment

At the Women's Frozen Four.....just a couple of notes. It was up to he NCAA to advertise the series, which might've had a poster or 2 up in rinks but on the Seacoast, NO ONE knew about a National Championship occurring 10 miles down he road! I called in to The Morning Buzz to tell the local IHeart station about it's going on, which meant that the NCAA did not contact the local station with reaches from the Canadian border to Boston, well done! The FF logo used wherever seen, was in essence the MEN's logo! Also, if the NCAA puts on 24 championships, maybe they could print programs for them all.....NO programs available, not even line sheets or rosters!! Attendance for Friday was pitiful, estimated at 2400....that's 2400 for the top 4 teams in the country! Sorry guys but the Minnesota vs Wisconsin game was better than 3/4's of the men's games this year!!
            The Finals Sunday was much better all in all....great college atmosphere, the crowd, mainly BC was very into the game, and until 10 minutes left was undecided....
            As for UNH, as we are the host school, everyone was great....professional and well staged. Maybe have all the concession stands open on Friday but other than that, I do hope UNH bids for them again. For the locals to have such an event in our backyard is just silly it's so awesome! As I said, the NCAA should be held to actually caring about one of their events with marketing and merchandise but kudos to UNH for a great job!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
              At the Women's Frozen Four.....just a couple of notes. It was up to he NCAA to advertise the series, which might've had a poster or 2 up in rinks but on the Seacoast, NO ONE knew about a National Championship occurring 10 miles down he road! I called in to The Morning Buzz to tell the local IHeart station about it's going on, which meant that the NCAA did not contact the local station with reaches from the Canadian border to Boston, well done! The FF logo used wherever seen, was in essence the MEN's logo! Also, if the NCAA puts on 24 championships, maybe they could print programs for them all.....NO programs available, not even line sheets or rosters!! Attendance for Friday was pitiful, estimated at 2400....that's 2400 for the top 4 teams in the country! Sorry guys but the Minnesota vs Wisconsin game was better than 3/4's of the men's games this year!!
              The Finals Sunday was much better all in all....great college atmosphere, the crowd, mainly BC was very into the game, and until 10 minutes left was undecided....
              As for UNH, as we are the host school, everyone was great....professional and well staged. Maybe have all the concession stands open on Friday but other than that, I do hope UNH bids for them again. For the locals to have such an event in our backyard is just silly it's so awesome! As I said, the NCAA should be held to actually caring about one of their events with marketing and merchandise but kudos to UNH for a great job!
              Def echo your sentiments and I know you are a big supporter of the women's game and it certainly showcased that! Was just excellent hockey. As per the NCAA and their advertising (or there lack of) they used the 'tron to 'advertise' just how great they are (of course they would). And yea, we looked for programs, etc. can't believe they didn't get those together. Like I said I'm glad it was close and to see a NC play out was awesome...
              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

missing matt willows?

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                  Looks like the hats the winners got also had the men's logo: https://twitter.com/AJMleczko/status/711976194011484160
                  Are you guys brothers?

Comment

Originally posted by fightingsiouxfan16 View Post
                    missing matt willows?
                    Uh, in a word, yes. Missed his tenaciousness he brought to the ice (although it took him til his Senior year I think to score alot of points?) Thought he was an excellent captain too. Believe right now he's lead scorer for his team the Everblades. Why does he come to mind if I may ask?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Uh, in a word, yes. Missed his tenaciousness he brought to the ice (although it took him til his Senior year I think to score alot of points?) Thought he was an excellent captain too. Believe right now he's lead scorer for his team the Everblades. Why does he come to mind if I may ask?
                      Hes from my town. My brother played against him in high school. Know his family. Great kid. Heck of a player.

Comment

Hes from my town. My brother played against him in high school. Know his family. Great kid. Heck of a player.
                        Cool! As you may/may not know (not that it matters) I'm relatively new to the hockey scene and Matt in particular was one of the first UNH players I had seen play over the past 3 years. Sorry I missed out on so many other great ones. While I'm sure his numbers don't quite compare to the Darren Haydar's etc. of past 'Cat teams, he's one of the reasons that team last year was able to do what they did in the end (which noone here, expected). Need more players like him, ones who dig it out, no excuses, hang in there, have...work ethic. I see alot of that in current players like Michael McNickolas. Just an observation and I don't kid myself about what I know/do not know, about hockey haha; just a feeling.

When I talked about what NU's Kevin Roy credited their recent success with, this 'culture of winnng', that's what Matt brought to the table. Any team who can combine skill with that kind of work ethic is ultimately going to be successful...with the right leadership in place, of course, other team mates who feel the same, and other variables that just click (Union 2014 anyone?) Those teams have the 'right stuff'.

Wish Matt was playing on a pro team in NE right now would love to see him play! Maybe this summer he'll play in that charity game in July in Ct...The Big Assist in which other UNH'ers like the vR boys, and most recently Kevin Goumas, Justin Agosta ,Collin MacD played in. Put the bug in his ear, mk?!?
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-22-2016, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Cool! As you may/may not know (not that it matters) I'm relatively new to the hockey scene and Matt in particular was one of the first UNH players I had seen play over the past 3 years. Sorry I missed out on so many other great ones. While I'm sure his numbers don't quite compare to the Darren Haydar's etc. of past 'Cat teams, he's one of the reasons that team last year was able to do what they did in the end (which noone here, expected). Need more players like him, ones who dig it out, no excuses, hang in there, have...work ethic. I see alot of that in current players like Michael McNickolas. Just an observation and I don't kid myself about what I know/do not know, about hockey haha; just a feeling.

When I talked about what NU's Kevin Roy credited their recent success with, this 'culture of winnng', that's what Matt brought to the table. Any team who can combine skill with that kind of work ethic is ultimately going to be successful...with the right leadership in place, of course and other variables that just click (Union 2014 anyone?) Those teams have the 'right stuff'.

Wish Matt was playing on a pro team in NE right now would love to see him play!
                          Kid is a solid grinder with great hands. His dad is a tough cookie that has turned around the high school team that he coaches in town. Good guy but tough coach. The kid has absolutely worked hard. Played juniors in new jersey and was at the top of the leaderboards in stats. You can look it up jersey hitmen about 3-4 years ago. I would watch UNH games just to see him play. He was impressive on the ice. maybe didnt have the top numbers on the team but he brought more then numbers. As a local kid i support him and hope he makes it to the nhl. i believe last time i looked he had a two way contract

Comment

Kid is a solid grinder with great hands. His dad is a tough cookie that has turned around the high school team that he coaches in town. Good guy but tough coach. The kid has absolutely worked hard. Played juniors in new jersey and was at the top of the leaderboards in stats. You can look it up jersey hitmen about 3-4 years ago. I would watch UNH games just to see him play. He was impressive on the ice. maybe didnt have the top numbers on the team but he brought more then numbers. As a local kid i support him and hope he makes it to the nhl. i believe last time i looked he had a two way contract
                            Here's a couple of Matt Willows clips, one from when he played for the Worcester Sharks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evYXmNgHHTU

and this one as a 'Cat (and was a great Captain I might add) scoring on a shortie v Michigan: (thanks Mike L)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxAyfsFLWm0

Comment

Here's a couple of Matt Willows clips, one from when he played for the Worcester Sharks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evYXmNgHHTU

and this one as a 'Cat (and was a great Captain I might add) scoring on a shortie v Michigan: (thanks Mike L)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxAyfsFLWm0
                              Will def watch the clips. There was a game unfortunately i dont remember against who as a cat. he was trapped against the blue line and the wall by 4 opponenets. he beat all 4 players then beat the 5th on the way to a goal. I wish i remember who it was against. If you can find that clip that would be great. It was on tv

Comment

Will def watch the clips. There was a game unfortunately i dont remember against who as a cat. he was trapped against the blue line and the wall by 4 opponenets. he beat all 4 players then beat the 5th on the way to a goal. I wish i remember who it was against. If you can find that clip that would be great. It was on tv
                                Looking! And I really should take back my comment about numbers; 90 points is admirable, don'tcha think?!? Maybe he didn't get the playing time as a Frosh ...don't know, wasn't following the 'Cats then! Looks like the didn't get into as many games Fr/Soph year. Prob. too many ahead of him...

Comment

Working...
                                X