This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UNHJourney34 View Post
    UNH alum Mike Sislo scored his first 2 NHL goals tonight in a game for New Jersey!
    Good for Mike Sislo; he has toiled for some time now in pro hockey, and I am glad to see him get his chance at the top level. I know that we take some flack from some corners here for being happy to see our alums do well in pro hockey, but as HR says "It's all we have," which sadly is true at the moment.
    Last edited by Snively65; 03-18-2016, 05:29 AM.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Three) - Living in Interesting Times

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Good for Mike Sislo; he has toiled for some time now in pro hockey, and I am glad to see him get his chance at the top level. I know that we take some flack from some corners here for being happy to see our alums do well in pro hockey, but as HR says "It's all we have," which sadly is true at the moment.
      Happy for Sislo. My lasting memory of him is of him sitting at the presser following the final game of his career when UNH lost to ND in the regional final in 2011. Towel around his neck, still had his jersey on, it was like he didn't want to take it off. Fighting back tears, coach Umile patting him on the shoulder. He scored the only goal in that game, and you could tell he was all in. Always think of the contrast to his classmate who was HE POTY but was MIA during the last couple weeks of that post-season...

Snively on an unrelated topic, I too loved The Twilight Zone, and still catch reruns when I can. I was really hoping to double down on that theme given that both BU and UNH basketball won the other night. Was hoping they might get matched up in the next round but I guess neither team wanted to put up the cash to host. Still if each keeps on winning they could meet down the road, wouldn't that be something.
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Serious question for the hockey historians out there - has the Hobey ever been awarded to a player who'd already left campus and turned pro at the time of the award ceremony?
        I checked the list and doesn't appear that any Hobey winners were actually playing professional hockey at the time the award was announce. Most the winners were playing the Frozen Four or had just been eliminated. Or back in the day, their talents were so disrespected that they didn't sign with anybody until long after the college season was over. Believe it or not, the closest I found was Johnny Gaudreau, who signed with Calgary on the same day he won the Hobey.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Is that a slap at someone like me Snively? I have no problem with an alum doing well in the pros, I am an avid watcher of TVR every time the Hawks are on TV. And perhaps, in a slight way, professional success helps a bit with recruiting. But I am much more concerned with the product on the Whittemore Center ice. You know, Tom Nolan never had much of a professional career (I think he quit after a couple of years in the ECHL despite putting up good numbers) but I'd rather have a guy with his type of talent playing now than some of the pluggers we have had who go on to marginal success at lower levels of minor hockey. All that being said, I always thought Sislo was underrated. He had a great shot, that's for sure.

Comment

Once they leave UNH, players are dead to me.

Just trying to lighten the mood.

I'm kidding.

A joke.

Just to be clear.
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              Is that a slap at someone like me Snively? I have no problem with an alum doing well in the pros, I am an avid watcher of TVR every time the Hawks are on TV. And perhaps, in a slight way, professional success helps a bit with recruiting. But I am much more concerned with the product on the Whittemore Center ice. You know, Tom Nolan never had much of a professional career (I think he quit after a couple of years in the ECHL despite putting up good numbers) but I'd rather have a guy with his type of talent playing now than some of the pluggers we have had who go on to marginal success at lower levels of minor hockey. All that being said, I always thought Sislo was underrated. He had a great shot, that's for sure.
              If anything, it may have been directed at me - and if so, no issues here, fair enough - given my take on the recent Poturalski situation. But like you, I've always been a big fan of Sislo, and was happy to see his name showing up last night on the NHL Network crawl. Underrated during his time here, but (unlike some others, one of which Felger has referred to) there was never a question about his commitment and desire.

As a four year player (and captain in his senior season), he's definitely one of the "good guys" in my book.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

If anything, it may have been directed at me - and if so, no issues here, fair enough - given my take on the recent Poturalski situation. But like you, I've always been a big fan of Sislo, and was happy to see his name showing up last night on the NHL Network crawl. Underrated during his time here, but (unlike some others, one of which Felger has referred to) there was never a question about his commitment and desire.

As a four year player (and captain in his senior season), he's definitely one of the "good guys" in my book.
                It's pretty cool how many UNH'ers go on to the pros, albeit most don't make it up to the N or so it seems. Still I enjoy following them and am glad for a player like Sislo. There's some blog out there that recounts his last game that I just read; that was a hard one for him, Desimone and co. (but I don't have to tell you guys coz you lived through it) 2010-2011 season and the next year, 2011-12 was not...a banner year for the blue N white.

Anyone going to the Women's FF this weekend? Looks like Amanda Kessel is making her way back to play for the Gophers after a 2.5 year absence due to a concussion...Am thinking about going Sunday, seeing her play might be worth the price of admission!

This will be my last hockey weekend, attending the HE's tonight, will be leaving the jersey behind but NOT...my UNH sweatshirt. Still gotta represent FWIW dept!!

Next season...
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

I notice Eaves is out at Wisconsin.

Perhaps the UNH Athletic Administration needs a "nudge" in the form of a list ..... actually I am just filling in time before I go over to the Whitt for the Women's Frozen Four.

However, if four lists get generated.... at minimum it might be interesting.

(1) A list of advantages for UNH Men's hockey if HC serves two more years.
                  (2) A list of advantages for HC if HC serves two more years.

(3) A list of disadvantages for UNH Men's hockey if HC serves two more years.
                  (4) A list of disadvantages for HC if HC serves two more years.

I suspect two lists will be longer than the other two ....

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    Once they leave UNH, players are dead to me.

Just trying to lighten the mood.

I'm kidding.

A joke.

Just to be clear.
                    Love it.

Just to be clear, to anyone who even cares ... if a kid has played his full 4 year commitment at UNH, I have no issue with getting behind him in his pro career. I suppose if a kid contributed in a meaningful way towards a great team accomplishment - say, a national title, HE Tourney title, or even a FF appearance (see Bekar, Derek) and then opts to leave early, then I'd probably be more understanding. I've never been P.O.'ed that Bekar left when he did - I only wondered (like many on here) about "what might have been" had he stayed for his senior year. Of course, with the benefit of hindsight, my guess is Bekar has probably wondered about it at some point, too.

If you signed up for 4 seasons and only played two (or one, or even three), and you've added nothing in terms of team accomplishments, then I guess it just smacks too much of said player being a "mercenary" or "diva" for my liking. I know others feel differently, and I say, to each his/her own. I guess this is one huge reason why I've never become a fan of the Manchester minor league teams, because it just never feels like a team to me, but rather a collection of guys either trying to get to the next step OR prolong their careers long enough to avoid getting shipped down to the 'Coast (or Single A in baseball), or just getting released outright.

And congrats to Coach Leaman for his well-deserved COTY honors last night.

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
                      I notice Eaves is out at Wisconsin.

Perhaps the UNH Athletic Administration needs a "nudge" in the form of a list ..... actually I am just filling in time before I go over to the Whitt for the Women's Frozen Four.

However, if four lists get generated.... at minimum it might be interesting.

(1) A list of advantages for UNH Men's hockey if HC serves two more years.
                      (2) A list of advantages for HC if HC serves two more years.

(3) A list of disadvantages for UNH Men's hockey if HC serves two more years.
                      (4) A list of disadvantages for HC if HC serves two more years.

I suspect two lists will be longer than the other two ....
                      Undoubtedly. Hey, I wonder if Eaves ....... ........ never mind, it'll never happen, no way, no how.

Comment

Undoubtedly. Hey, I wonder if Eaves ....... ........ never mind, it'll never happen, no way, no how.
                        "Eaves was reprimanded by school officials for physical contact with one of his players..."

Never happen.
                        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                          "Eaves was reprimanded by school officials for physical contact with one of his players..."

Never happen.
                          Yeah, we've seen how that plays out before. Wasn't aware of that. Agreed - a non-starter for the AD.

Comment

I think that Felger was referring to Paul Thompson, HE POTY, at the last game of Mike Sislo's 2010-2011 season (not JvR). But, I really liked that top line of seniors with PT, Phil Desimone, and Sislo in 2010-2011, and of course wish that JvR had still been there, which might have gotten us to another FF. But, overall, as I have posted before, I do not have a problem with players leaving early, as I have enjoyed watching them for whatever time in a Cats uniform. The great programs that get to the FF on a regular basis have a mix of 2-, 3-, and 4-year guys, which is what I would like to see happen again at UNH. And, I like to hear about not just UNH alums, but also HEA alums doing well in professional hockey, having seen these guys more than those from the other conferences, Canadian juniors, etc.

Comment

Any predicts for the HE title? PC for me!
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Wow, 875 posts on the "Fire Mike Eaves" thread! Maybe DU needs to work harder to get his numbers up in his thread, which has been MIA?

Comment

Working...
                                X